Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Chasing Jerohim

Author Topic: Chasing Jerohim
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
The drop-off point had been chosen well. So how could everything have gone so badly?
Addison rested both elbows on her desk, her eyes focused on the screen of the viewer. It was the third time she had watched the recording, and yet still she felt as though she was missing something.
The screen showed a corner of an antique market, sunlight spearing through the window and highlighting the rusted, filth-encrusted junk piled on each table. The dust motes barely stirred in that early morning light as the man approached. Perhaps the most wanted man in the galaxy, and yet his walk was so slow, so measured, almost feminine in its delicacy. A middle-aged man, his hair neatly trimmed, his stomach hanging ever so

Same as always, all comments would be great and if anybody wants to look at the whole thing it's Sci-Fi and 3600. Thanks

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest suggestion I have here is regarding the first two sentences--they seem out of place.
You throw this foreshadowing in, but without context, then immediately move on in the narrative, which essentially wastes the opening.

her eyes focused on the screen of the viewer => you could cut "the screen of" and not change the meaning.

He was... perhaps the most (otherwise this is a fragment)

The hook here for me is "the most wanted man in the galaxy"

If you want readers, send it over...

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have any problems with the first two sentences. However, you might want to stick Addison's name in there, to make it clear that these are POV thoughts rather than some narrator introduction.

Clearly she is just starting to watch the recording. Is this the third time? Or has she already watched it three times, and this is the fourth? If the former, it's a bit misleading to mention the "third time" and then say "yet still felt as though", indicating that feeling comes after three times. But if this is the fourth, you should add something about starting to watch it again.

Interesting.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this opening. I thought it was a clear set up. The first two lines didn't bother me.

I didn't like so much the switch to a more remote, almost passive feeling p.o.v. in the third paragraph. Instead of being told what the screen showed, I'd rather have Addison maybe hit the rewind button one more time and scan the screen, look at an interpret the man on the screen (Who is he? does she know his name? if so, I'd just say it there. If he doesn't have a name does she have some sort of nickname for him or something?)

I'd be happy to read it, if you like.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.