Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Twist of Fate

Author Topic: A Twist of Fate
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 

What the hell?
Derrent Sturgan stopped chewing and watched the man walk past. For a moment he thought he was dreaming. The sword on the man’s hip was his father’s sword--he was certain of it.
Derrent felt the urge to leap up and press his dagger to the man’s throat, force some answers from him. His heart began to beat faster—readying him to do just that, but instead he dipped another hunk of bread into the meat juices on his plate. He popped it in his mouth and chewed slowly.
He had to think--make a plan. The head should rule the heart, not the other way round, his father always said. It had taken his father’s disappearance last winter to make Derrent re-think his ways.
He glanced out of the corner of his eye at the man who now sat

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kingtermite
Member # 7794

- posted      Profile for kingtermite   Email kingtermite         Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely starts with some good action and catches my interest.

I would consider changing this line:

Derrent felt the urge to leap up and press his dagger to the man’s throat, force some answers from him.

It's kind of hard to force answers from someone with a knife in his throat. Maybe come up with another metaphor that doesn't make forcing answers impossible.

That immediately caught my attention as impossible and seems a little comical in the impossibility which took away from the mood you were setting.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally read the line to mean he was going to press the knife against his neck, not press it right through.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kingtermite
Member # 7794

- posted      Profile for kingtermite   Email kingtermite         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I personally read the line to mean he was going to press the knife against his neck, not press it right through.

Aaaaaah...I see you are right. I guess my mind read "into" instead of "to" just a little too easily.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yup, to his neck. I wanted to give that impression of him wanting to have the guy against some wall, with the knife held to his throat. This obviously keeps the guy alive and lets him (crucially) reply.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kingtermite
Member # 7794

quote:
Yup, to his neck. I wanted to give that impression of him wanting to have the guy against some wall, with the knife held to his throat. This obviously keeps the guy alive and lets him (crucially) reply.

Maybe "against his neck/throat" or something similar to keep others from misreading it like I did.

TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read this, if you're done.

One thing on the first 13:

Because Derrent seeing his father's sword on the man's hip is so powerful, so foreboding, so emotional, I think that is where you should start.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I too would like to read this.

OnceandFutureME - I'm confused a bit by your comment,I think skadder IS starting there. Can you expand?

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

It is finished...generally. In fact I have already submitted it somewhere. I am not sure I want a line crit at this stage, but thanks for the offers.

Adam

TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Devnal-

I meant actually start with the image of the man wearing the MC's father's sword. Skip the "what the hell" and the "he thought he was dreaming." The image of the man wearing his father's sword will make me feel those emotions.

And skadder - should you decide you want a line edit, or just comments on the whole, I'm still interested.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
this is a strong opening -- engaging and clear. My only immediate concern is if "What the hell?" is an anachronism. (I don't know, but it is the sort of thing that catches us.)

Kathy

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
Since your MC is so focused on seeing his father's sword on another man, since he's so sure that it's his father's sword, I'd like to know some details about the sword, or at least one detail that makes your character absolutely certain. Without some sort of evidence that what your character thinks is plausible, the whole thing afterwards comes off as a little reactionary.

The beginning has potential, I'd just like to see a bit more reason behind the violence

Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

That detail is mentioned a few paragraphs further in.

That sword is a pivotal part of the story and the amount of information you are given at this stage regarding it is carefully controlled.

I am not sure what you mean by 'reactionary' in this context. If you are suggesting that Derrent is coming across as a hothead--good, because he is. If you are using reactionary in the sense of its political meaning of 'ultra-conservative' and 'resistive of change', then I am uncertain of your point.

Also there has been no violence yet...just the desire to be violent. I thought the piece hinted at the reason for this. Derrent's father dissapeared--a guy is wearing what Derrent thinks is his father's sword--therefore Derrent thinks this guy might have been responsible for his father's death/dissapearance.

If you could tell me perhaps where the above plan didn't work for you so I can try remedy it.

Adam

Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What the hell?
Derrent Sturgan stopped chewing and watched the man walk past. For a moment he thought he was dreaming. The sword on the man’s hip was his father’s sword--he was certain of it. What was it that took him from dreaming to certain? A second glance? Something distinctive? If you can't give us details, please give some reason for Derrent going from 'dreaming' to 'certain.'
Derrent felt the urge to leap up and press his dagger to the man’s throat, force some answers from him. about what? Where he got the blade, sure, but that's just one question His heart began to beat faster—readying him to do just that, but instead he dipped another hunk of bread into the meat juices on his plate. He popped it in his mouth and chewed slowly.
He had to think--make a plan. The head should rule the heart, not the other way round, his father always said. It had taken his father’s disappearance last winter to make Derrent re-think his ways. I think this information might come in earlier. Withholding this information to right now is confusing. He glanced out of the corner of his eye at the man who now sat

I really think it's a matter of information presentation/order. And answering a few questions.

[This message has been edited by Jo1day (edited February 19, 2008).]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.