Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Exhaust (SF)

Author Topic: Exhaust (SF)
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx in advance for checking out the intro to my newest SF short story. The mid section and the ending are proceeding very much to my liking. As always, it's the beginning that I'm spinning my wheels on.

------------------------------

Deeseus Tork should not have been able to witness the afternoon shadows extending past where he stood in the trampled snow. This was taking too long.

No. He could not permit himself to think that way. This had to be done right the first attempt. Every measurable particle of residual health contamination from the Baragronn region power plant had to be sent to an alternate reality, just as he promised his newest technological masterpiece would do. He glanced to the side. The crowd of company officials, politicians, and local citizens that willingly cramped themselves behind the protective transparent wall, were expecting exactly that level of perfection from him. Again.

He would have been wiser to keep his words to himself this time.

-------------------------------

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

quote:
Deeseus Tork should not have been able to witness the afternoon shadows extending past where he stood in the trampled snow. This was taking too long.

This didn't make sense on the first pass. At first I was thinking that he shouldn't have been able to witness them because something physical should have been preventing him (a wall, blindfolds, cows etc).

The second sentence really covers what the first sentence is trying to say. You might want to start with that and see if you can incorporate the snow/character name through some other method.

quote:
No. He could not permit himself to think that way. This had to be done right the first attempt. Every measurable particle of residual health contamination from the Baragronn region power plant had to be sent to an alternate reality, just as he promised his newest technological masterpiece would do.

This is a big chunk of back-story. Does all this need to be explained at this point? Should the story start farther back in time where all of this can be incorporated into the story?

quote:
He glanced to the side. The crowd of company officials, politicians, and local citizens that willingly cramped themselves behind the protective transparent wall, were expecting exactly that level of perfection from him. Again.

quote:
He would have been wiser to keep his words to himself this time.

This time? Again? Is this part two of a story and I missed the first one? That's usually how I feel with a story starts with those words.

Overall I think it is well written and interesting and just needs a bit of cleanup. My only real concern is that large amount of back story. To me it indicates that the story may not be starting at the right point in time.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read through the first thirteen lines the third time, I got the situation--it seems fascinating, but the words just don't do it justice. It's really not so much a question of back story as it is a lack of sensory detail and immediacy. Just about the only thing we have is the shadows.

I'd like to see what the main character is doing right now, or at the very least, what his machine is doing, what kind of readings he's getting from it, if he's wearing a radiation suit and how it feels, details like that. A comment from someone in the group that's watching might be in order.

The premise is good and I like where you started it. I think just a little more showing instead of telling should do the job to give this start the punch you want.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Hanniford Crowley
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for Susan Hanniford Crowley   Email Susan Hanniford Crowley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking at parts so I'm inserting the quotes and trying to get a hang of this critique format.

The name is intriguing, but I'm confused as to the character's problem. What is he trying to solve? Was he in danger witnessing the afternoon shadows? Is the technology going to fail and kill him and all the political witnesses.

I think the most gripping part to start with is:

"Every measurable particle of contamination from the Baragronn region power plant has to be sent to an alternate reality."
Deeseus Tork promised...

Then you can get into what he promised all these people. After that talk about the failure or success or unexpected surprise. I think with a little mining and rearranging of what you've already written below and it will be a strong beginning.

No. He could not permit himself to think that way. This had to be done right the first attempt. Every measurable particle of residual health contamination from the Baragronn region power plant had to be sent to an alternate reality, just as he promised his newest technological masterpiece would do. He glanced to the side. The crowd of company officials, politicians, and local citizens that willingly cramped themselves behind the protective transparent wall, were expecting exactly that level of perfection from him. Again.

I'm not sure what the final sentence means. You may want to rewrite it differently once you do the rearranging of the paragraph above it.

Of course, this is only my opinion. I hope it helps.

--Sue

[This message has been edited by Susan Hanniford Crowley (edited February 23, 2008).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Crank,

I thought this was interesting.

Some of the things that bothered other readers (the back story, the last line) didn't bother me. (I don't like infodumps, but this was telling us what the MC was thinking, so I thought it was okay)

However, I was confused by the first line (even though it makes perfect sense). Like halogen, I thought the point was that there was some reason it should be physically impossible to see the shadows. On second reading I understood, but perhaps that line is prone to leading people down the wrong line of thought.

Also, the line halogen accused of having too much backstory : "Every measurable particle of residual health contamination..." was, in my opinion, too long and clunky (thought again, the substance of it was fine with me).

Jon.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Thanx to everyone who has offered their crits. Whether I agree or disagree with what was offered is irrelevant; those offerings task me to think deeper about what I have written, and that is where my thanx come from.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.