Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Disciple

Author Topic: The Disciple
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this is Horror, maybe Fantasy. 2600 words. I'd be grateful for any comments on the first 13 or readers of the whole thing.

“You’ll start your first incision at the superior margin of the sternum and take it down to about the umbilicus.”
A group of first-year medical students dressed in white scrubs crowded around the professor and, of course, the cadaver. The white plastic sheet that had covered the body a moment ago had been pulled back to expose its torso. The words “Male, 52 COD: Cardiopulmonary Failure” were written on the sheet in permanent black ink near its legs.
“Don’t cut too deep,” the professor continued. “Just through the skin; we don’t want to damage the tissue beneath.”
Mark saw none of this, but he heard it. And when the scalpel began to cut into his chest, he felt it.
By reflex, he tried to lift his arms and grab at the scalpel, but

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I will take a look at it.Send what you got.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the story has a tense beginning (being dead-alive) but the 3rd person is too detached for me.

It might be more powerful in 1st person (or 3rd limited and starting out just in his head) as it would allow us to experience the world inside Mark's eyes; the confusion, darkness, the noises of people entering the room, small conversations and objects being moved around, the cloth coming off, the feeling of being naked and cold, the lecture from the teacher and finally the sharp pain of something cutting into his chest.

Just some thoughts.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Being contrary, I liked it in 3rd person.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I too had no problem with the third person POV.

It's an interesting opening and I would definitely read on, though I think it could be tightened up a little:

A group of first-year medical students dressed in white scrubs crowded around the professor and, of course, the cadaver. The white plastic sheet that had covered the body a moment ago had been pulled back to expose its torso. Might read better as: "A group of first-year medical students crowded around the cadaver. The white plastic sheet had been pulled back to expose its torso." Just an idea.

And when the scalpel began to cut into his chest, he felt it. But then I thought this was underwritten. He felt it? What did he feel? Blazing agony or a slight tugging on his skin? We aren't familiar enough with the MC yet to know how he would react to this, I thought showing more of what he felt might get the reader's sympathy for him early in the story, to identify with him more.

By reflex, he tried to lift his arms and grab at the scalpel, but I'd cut "By reflex", I don't think it adds anything to the sentence here

Looks good, I'll be glad to give it a read if you like.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

Thanks for the comments and offers to read.

I think you're right, halogen. I considered writing it in first person, thinking it would be more intense, but settled on 3rd because I wanted the reader glimpse the scene from the outside. Now that it is done (and short) I might redo some or all of it in 1st to see how it goes. But either way, I think your suggestions for adding some detail here are good ones.

Martin, I agree that the white scrubs are implied, and I can omit mention of the professor since we already know he is there. The words in black permanent ink have meaning to me, but the reader can probably do without them. Of course, if I switch to first person, it all goes away.

BTW, after posting last night, I started reading "Fledgling" by Octavia Butler. The main character wakes up in the dark and in pain not knowing where she is... I learned a lot from her first person rendition of a similar situation.

Jon.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

With effort, I've come up with a new start in first person. I'm not sure if it is any better, but I would be very grateful to hear opinions.

When I woke up, I couldn’t move and I couldn’t see. I was naked, except for what felt like a rough sheet covering me from the waist down. I was lying on my back on something cold and hard.
I realized that I wasn’t breathing. I tried to inhale, but nothing happened. My chest was frozen in place.
Just as my fear began to turn to panic, I heard talking.
“You’ll start your first incision at the superior margin of the sternum and take it down to about the umbilicus.”
It sounded like a professor lecturing.
“Don’t cut too deep,” he continued. “Just through the skin; we don’t want to damage the tissue beneath.”
There was an incredible, sharp pain in my chest. I tried to lift

Is it still obvious that the MC is a cadaver in an anatomy class? With very minor changes, this could be made into third person limited... I'm not sure if that would work better.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Slow it down and mix it with the proceedure that you had going on before.
First person is hard because you have to offer something more insightful to make it shine. Put yourself in the cadaver.

Think:
At first the voices were faint-- surreal.

As I became aware.

Scratch the waking up.

Your story is going to be great.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
The first version was omniscient not 3rd limited. Had it been 3rd limited it would have been only things the POV character was able to see as it was it saw everything (You state "...MArk saw none of this...") Personally I think it suffered because of the POV problems. Had it been written in 3rd limited it would have been better.

3rd limited includes: Cinematic, deep penetration, light penetration...but not omniscient.

Also if Mark is your POV character then you need to establish that straight away. I tend to take a cue from the first person doing something or saying something and make the assumption they are the POV character. You didn't correct this.

e.g. Mark listened to the professor as he addressed the students...

That establishes him as the POV character.

I realize you want a reveal that the POV guy is a corpse (or a sushi eater) but you can do that in a number of ways anyway.

The prose is good, better in the second version, but I still reckon 3rd limited is the way to go.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited February 28, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Being contrary, again, I liked the first version better. It was far more chilling than this second one.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

Thanks for the feedback. I especially appreciate arrki being contrary... I guess now I have to decide for myself which is best I guess I need to figure out a way to keep the chillingness of the first version without breaking POV rules...

Adam, I didn't mean to assert that the first version in in 3rd person: it isn't. I just meant that now that the view "from the outside" has been eliminated, the second version could easily be changed from 1st person to 3rd.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I also liked the first version better. I don't see any POV problems. The first three paragraphs were in omniscient (well, the third can be either that or 3PLO, so it makes a good transition). That's okay; lots of stories start out with a paragraph or two of omniscient before focusing in on the main character and changing to 3PLO. Just don't switch back.

The second version shows us the situation. The first version shocks us with it.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.