Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Mr Mechanical (wip)

Author Topic: Mr Mechanical (wip)
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Esmeralda is in her glass box. Her pale face is a spider-web of cracking paint and her black hair is tangled with strands of white dust. A purple blanket with a scattering of tarot cards and mouse droppings hides her mechanical lower-half. I hear a faint clockwork tapping from her wooden shell.

A heart beat.

I had a dream last night where I accidentally knocked her cage over and blood, dark as chocolate and reeking of ammonia, drained from her crushed skull in heavy coagulated gulps. The shattered glass tore into her mechanical arm cutting it down to strips of red and purple flesh that fell on the marble floor with wet slaps.

The buffalo nickel in my hand is almost a century old. I bet

First Person / Present Tense is my most comfortable writing. Not saying I'm good at it, just that it is what comes easiest for me.

I've decided to take the crits from my last handful of short stories and start over with a new piece. As I go I'm trying to focus on the areas that critters have previously outlined as my weak spots.

What is your opinions of this? Can you tell what is going on?

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited February 28, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 28, 2008).]

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it well written and intriguing. I would read on. I like the symbol of the buffalo nickel and its reference to dating the piece. The descriptions are well done, but not overdone. You write well in the 1st.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
'...heavy coagulated gulps...'. Gulps? Not sure. I would prefer something more reminiscent of blood draining e.g. rivulets etc.

Otherwise good job.(and I don't like 1st, present--so extra points!)

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it captivating, I would read on.

This might be corny, but the scene reminds me a bit of the movie BIG. You know, that one with Tom Hanks and he goes to see that fortune teller machine thingy. But this is darker. Ha!
Nice writing

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
Intriguing beginning. I would definitely turn the page.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the first three sentences. The only thing I found a little odd is that even though it is first person, you don't know that until the fourth sentence, so when I read "I hear..." it interrupted the flow (for me). Similarly, after "A heart beat." which to me is very immediate, you switch right away to past tense. I found this a little disorienting.

Let me know if/when you want readers.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was great. I would definitely read on. I love the edgy style.

My interpretation is that he's about to drop his coin into Esmeralda to get his fortune read.

I wasn't quite sure what "A heart beat" referred to. Is he interpreting the clockwork as a heartbeat, or does he hear something else as a heartbeat?

I didn't like the switch to past tense in the second paragraph. It's grammatically correct and all, but I felt as if I'd slipped out of the story. Even something as simple as "I remember I had a dream" or "in my dream last night i..."

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

Hey great, I'm glad it makes sense.

Thanks for the heads up on the present/past with the dream sequence annepin and Jon, I'll try and flow those better. Probably do what annepin suggests with the "I had a dream last night..."

I'll keep working on it.

Awesome, thanks everyone!

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First Person / Present Tense is my most comfortable writing.
But it's not what most readers are most comfortable reading. Something, perhaps, to consider.

Besides, present tense doesn't really make sense in a story where anything happens. For present actions, we use present progressive. ("ing" ending) Can you imagine someone getting a phone call and saying, "Can I call you back? I cook." No, it would be "I'm cooking." Straight present tense is for current state or condition. "I am sick," or "I go to archery practice every Sunday." As a result, it gives stories a timeless feel, rather than an immediate feel. Something else to consider.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
PS to the above:

From what I see of this story, it is possible that a timeless, dreamlike feel is exactly what you'd like to achieve. If that's the case, then present tense might be the perfect vehicle, as long as the story's not too long. (After a while, an odd tense just gets ignored, anyway--or rather, gets translated into past. Kind of the like, when you watch a movie in a language you don't speak that has subtitles, and then remember it later, you remember it as if the people actually spoke the dialogue in English.)

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

quote:
But it's not what most readers are most comfortable reading. Something, perhaps, to consider.

Oh yeah, I agree. However I've decided to focus on what I'm most comfortable with then gradually move back to more accepted forms of writing. This may hurt my chances with readers/getting published but I feel it is the best way, at the moment, to explore my writing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.