Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Last Will and Testament of Andrew-232

Author Topic: The Last Will and Testament of Andrew-232
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my latest, a somewhat comedic SF. The draft is short around 2k. Looking for opinions on what route to go with it.

“When I die, oh man do I want to go out with a bang. Like a Viking you know, except I want my coffin to be a pod that gets launched up into the air over the bay, then missiles come up and blow to bits. Then fireworks. That is how I should go out,” said Mr. Ford.
Hearing the enthusiasm in his employer’s voice induced a strange sensation in Andrew. Regarding the raised follicles on his skin and involuntary twitch in his biomechanical spine, he snapped back into protocol.
“Shall I make these arrangements then Mr. Ford? I can prepare the documents right away,” Andrew said.
“You don’t get it do you Andrew? My movie career has been thwarted by these new simulators. And you artificial’s are taking

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a quick look if you want.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“When I die, oh man[,] do I want to go out with a bang. Like a Viking you know, except I want my coffin to be a pod that gets launched up into the air over the bay, then missiles come up and blow to bits. Then fireworks. That is how I should go out,” said Mr. Ford.
Hearing the enthusiasm in his employer’s voice induced a strange sensation in Andrew. Regarding [I would use "Noticing" here - "Regarding" is an awkward start because it could mean also mean "in regards to", as though Andrew was about to start discussing his raised folicles with Mr. Ford] the raised follicles on his skin [can you also qualify that his skin and follicles are artificial somehow?] and involuntary twitch in his biomechanical spine, he snapped back into protocol.
“Shall I make these arrangements then Mr. Ford? I can prepare the documents right away,” Andrew said.
“You don’t get it do you Andrew? My movie career has been thwarted by these new simulators. And you artificial’s are taking

So far it paints a pleasant picture of the start of a story, but I don't have a clue where it is going, or why I should care, so no hook.

[This message has been edited by NoTimeToThink (edited April 08, 2008).]

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
It is difficult to critique dialog. Speech could be written so many ways and be correct. As a hook it doesn't grab me. You were on the right track but it's missing something.

Send the whole thing if you like.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
branteaton
Member # 7782

- posted      Profile for branteaton   Email branteaton         Edit/Delete Post 
I had trouble with the opening lines, too, until I caught up with them as lines of dialogue. You can't correct the grammar of a character's speech. However the character would say it is "right." OTOH, best not to try the patience of the reader too much, too early?

I'd love to give the full story a read (in its current state).

Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.