Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Katich & White

Author Topic: Katich & White
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Eamonn Katich’s wife had been dead for seven years when he saw her walking past Franz Tucok’s graffiti-stained window.
Katich had cried out incoherently while trying to keep sight of that white-blonde hair drifting through the throng of humans and kerondans and restonas crowding the streets. He leaped from the still moving hover car, the sodden road veering beneath him as he fought to keep his feet. And then he was running, running as fast as he could. Hover cars whooshed over his head and to either side of him and still he could see that white-blonde hair, further away now, a vision of light and beauty in a sea of black and grey and neon-blue. He ran faster.
Bodies seemed to fight against him, grey-haired ancients with frail bodies clinging to shopping carts, three-legged mestons

All comments are much appreciated and if anybody wants to read the whole thing, it's sci-fi--or are they calling it sci-fantasy these days? Anyway, whatever it is, it's a shade under 5k. Thanks

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Just send me the whole thing please :-)
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick comment. 'Hover cars' seems a bit dated. The concept is fine but a better more tech name would make it more sci-fi and less retro sci-fi.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
You always have such great names! The set up on this (man sees dead wife) seems a bit cliche. I think the opening would be more powerful if you gave us a bit more insight into what his situation is. While the description of what he has to wade through to get to her does well in conveying scene, atmosphere, world-building, and his desperation, it doesn't do a lot of story-telling which, at this early stage, might be more important.

Sci fi, sci-fantasy, whatever, I'd be happy to read it, if you like!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulUK
Member # 7906

- posted      Profile for PaulUK   Email PaulUK         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi monstewer,

The first thing that struck me about this was that it -- somehow -- reminded me of the city in 'BladeRunner' (and that's not a criticism, by the way!) There's enough going on here to keep me interested, and I'm happy to offer a crit of the whole, if you want it.

Cheers,

Paul

Posts: 55 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are not hoping to get this back before Friday, I can take a look.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmccoy
Member # 7930

- posted      Profile for mrmccoy           Edit/Delete Post 
The passive voice of the opening sentence weakens the effect of a shocking event.

Try something along the lines of: Seven years after she died, Eamonn's wife walked past him...

Watching his wife walk past Tucok's window wouldn't have been such a shock for Eamonn, if she hadn't been dead for seven years.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
Good start. A few quibbles and suggestions and some compulsive messin' with your prose:

quote:

Eamonn Katich’s wife had been dead for seven years when he saw her walking past Franz Tucok’s [Franz Tucok is awesome, but it makes the first line a little name-heavy. You might want to just use the surname?] graffiti-stained window.

Aside from the passive voice mentioned above, it might add impact if you show his reaction first and then explain it.

quote:

Eamonn Katich was driving by Tucok’s grocery store when he saw his wife walking past the graffiti-stained window. He paled, swerved and braked so hard he almost left the road. He had buried Kaitlin these seven years past.

quote:

Katich had cried out incoherently while trying to keep sight of that white-blonde hair drifting through the throng of humans and kerondans and restonas crowding the streets. [A little slow? Perhaps chop the previous phrase up?]He leaped from the still moving hover car, the sodden road veering beneath him as he fought to keep his feet. And [”and" seems redundant with “then”]then he was running, running as fast as he could. Hover cars whooshed over his head and to either side of him and still he could see that white-blonde hair, further away now, a vision of light and beauty [the vision of light and beauty distracts me]in a sea of black and grey and neon-blue. He ran faster.

Great, a chase scene!

quote:

He leaped from the still moving hover car, the sodden road veering beneath him as he fought to keep his feet. Ahead, Kaitlin's white-blond hair bobbed and weaved through the throng of humans, kerondans and restonas that crowded the streets. Then he was running, running as fast as he could. Hover cars whooshed over his head and to either side of him. Still he could see that white-blonde hair, further away now, receding through a sea of black and grey and neon-blue. He ran faster.

I'd be happy to read and crit, if you like.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin,
I'd be happy to read this.
Jon.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.