Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Lost and Found

Author Topic: Lost and Found
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 19, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of interstellar junk traders and you paint a vivid image. While there's no clear hook in terms of conflict or problem, the ideas are hook enough for me to read on.

I did feel there were too many adjectives, adverbs and qualifying phrases, which made it a bit of a challenge to digest. I had to re-read one or two bits to absorb it all.

A nit: I understand what you're trying to say and she sounds utterly delightful, but I don't think skin "adorns" one. Maybe just, "the way the metal transitioned into her perfect skin." I think we can assume it covers her mostly.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it can when your a robot or a cyborg.

I think this is very well done, and I would definitely read on. They both sound like interesting characters.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supaflyza
Member # 7965

- posted      Profile for supaflyza           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea, I'm just finding it too populated by adjectives. Everything is detailed and described. I'd like to see the sentences reading more smoothly.
Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this.

I will sepparate from the opinion that their are two many adjectives. With the exception of this line.

quote:
Shiny plates covered advanced robotics technology on the lower half of her legs like skin-tight boots and they glinted silvery in the bright beams from the overhead lights

This is the only line that snagged me. I remember the first half of that sentence snagging me last time. I think that it would be more effective to throw in some dialogue here.

This line doesn't really convey a clear image, I think it would be better to if we heard this rather than saw it.

If you hear anymore comments on adjectives, submit this to Analog This issue had a story so flowery with adjectives, I forgot what was being described.

[This message has been edited by The divine ruler of Isthasn (edited May 15, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited May 15, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
This must be one of those synergy things you hear about from time to time. Or was that serendipity? Anyways, I remember reading your earlier draft and thinking to myself that looks interesting, I wish I had time to crit. Well, your new draft looks even more interesting, and now I do have time to crit, if you'd like to send it my way.
Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 19, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in reading, the ideas are good. I like the vivid picture that you put in my head.

But I would agree with everyone else that there are too many adjectives: makes the reading kind of bumpy. You could also look at removing the "as" from your first sentence and making it into to, just to make the writing clearer/more easy to read.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.