Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The People of The Isle-Unfinished, Fantasy

Author Topic: The People of The Isle-Unfinished, Fantasy
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I was driving to work yesterday and there was lightning. I love me some lightning. It gave me a story idea. And so I started to write it. Here is the begining. I'm not sure if trolls were the right choice but something just said trolls...also, I'd love volunteers to read it all when its finished.

Stromael looked to his left, then his right, then raised an eyebrow.
“Trolls, this near to the sea? Unusual indeed. What can have brought you so far from the hills and mountains?”
The five hulking, stony brutes surrounding him made no reply, merely moved in closer, hefting stone or wooden clubs. One held a great granite axe. Not a one of them stood less than half again as tall as Stromael; the two largest were over ten feet.
Stromael threw back the hood of the dark, weather-beaten cloak he wore over his white, blue and grey garments. A smile was on his face, and the wind blew through his raven dark hair, streaked with cloud-grey and lightning-white.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Merilon,

As one that hasn't fallen for your trick of feeding all the hatrackers with mind controlling bakery goods, you can trust I will give you an honest accessment.

Stromael looked to his left, then his right, then raised an eyebrow.
One too many 'his' and 'then'. How about...

Stromael looked to his left, then right, and raised an eyebrow

“Trolls, this near to the sea? Unusual indeed.
Are you sure you wanted this rhyme? It gives it that grim fairy tale feeling.

The five hulking, stony brutes surrounding him made no reply,
A good place for a period.

merely moved in closer,
Then change this to They moved in close

hefting stone or wooden clubs.
Which is it?

Not a one of them
How about simply None

stood less than half again as tall as Stromael;
This reads like double speak. How about...
stood half as tall as Stromael

A smile was on his face,
How about simply He smiled

Intriguing for a first draft. Good luck with it.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
half again as tall is as tall as the MC and then half as tall on top of that. You're right that it got confusing. But it's a good start. I'll read.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you deb. Not sure how long it will be but probably not too long. You'll be the first to get it when its finished.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely getting a clear idea of the story to come here--very vivid beginning. I liked it. Reminded me of a McKinley short story or McKillip.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Stromael looked [to his left, then his right,<--[Why not just tell us what he's looking at?] then raised an eyebrow<--[This seems to be a nonchalant reaction for five "hulking", armed brutes].
“Trolls, this near to the sea? Unusual indeed. What can have brought you so far from the hills and mountains?”
The five [hulking,<--[Choose one. With the following, the other will be assumed.]-->stony] brutes surrounding him [made no reply, merely<--[IMHO - delete this, it is not needed.] moved in closer, hefting [either an a needs to be here, or an..] stone[s needs to be here.] or wooden clubs.<--[What race is Stromael? Is there a natural enmity between his race and the troll?] One held a great granite axe. [Not a one of them stood less than<--[Maybe, it would be clearer like: The shortest stood] half again as tall as Stromael; the two largest were over ten feet.<--[This really makes me wonder what I should be imagining Stromael as.]
Stromael threw back the hood of the dark, weather-beaten cloak he wore over his white, blue and grey garments.[Huh? He was wearing a cloak?] A smile was on his face, and the wind blew through his raven dark hair, streaked with cloud-grey and lightning-white. [PoV?]

A little cleaner and this would be interesting.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

quote:
This seems to be a nonchalant reaction for five "hulking", armed brutes

Its easy to be nonchalant when you can call a hurricane out of a clear sky and that sort of thing :-)

Character development, anyone? :::-)

quote:
Choose one. With the following, the other will be assumed

Why would stony be assumed from hulking or vice versa? the two are mostly unrelated. I wish to make it clear that they are large (hulking) and made or covered with rock (stony)

quote:
Maybe, it would be clearer like: The shortest stood]

Good idea, thanks.

quote:
either an a needs to be here, or an..] stone[s needs to be here.]

I'm not sure I understand this one. Your saying it needs to be "hefted an stone or wooden clubs" or "hefted stones and wooden clubs?"

They are holding clubs, some made of wood, some made of stone...was that not clear? I'm not being facetious I genuinly dont understand this comment.

quote:
What race is Stromael? Is there a natural enmity between his race and the troll?]

He's human, as far as I know. And no there isnt. Why do you ask?

quote:
Huh? He was wearing a cloak?]

So it would seem.

quote:
PoV?]

Can you clarify please? Just saying "PoV?" doesnt tell me much.

[This message has been edited by Merlion-Emrys (edited June 16, 2008).]

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

quote:
Definitely getting a clear idea of the story to come here--very vivid beginning. I liked it. Reminded me of a McKinley short story or McKillip.

Don't know either of those authors but I'll take it as a compliment.

I'm still not sure about the trolls but...something just said "he gets attacked by trolls on the way to where he's going."

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
This was good and set up quickly which I like.

The first sentence was awkard. I like Snapper's suggestion there.
The eyebrow raising, didnt bother me, it was as you suggested. I took it that there was a reason he wasnt worried. I felt it was good characterization.
The clubs, I understood it was some had stone ones and some had wood ones, but it did read strange. I would suggest hefting wooden and stone clubs. But that has its own problems, but I feel it would read easier.
The hieght thing did read odd to me as well.

POV? I thought we were clearly in Stromael's POV, until the last line. The smile on his face was fine. I would suggest jsut saying, He smiled. it was the raven-dark hair streaked with cloud-grey and lignthing white, that threw me off. While a great description. If we are in his POV he wouldnt likely think of himself and his description. Unless he is me, flexing in the mirror all the time. Does that make any sense? While an observer might see him like that, he porbably doesnt look at himself. I find it hard to describe an MC, while in his POV.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Tiergan (edited June 16, 2008).]

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

quote:
POV? I thought we were clearly in Stromael's POV, until the last line. The smile on his face was fine. I would suggest jsut saying, He smiled. it was the raven-dark hair streaked with cloud-grey and lignthing white, that through me off. While a great description. If we are in his POV he wouldnt likely think of himself and his description. Unless he is me, flexing in the mirror all the time. Does that make any sense? While an observer might see him like that, he porbably doesnt look at himself. I find it hard to describe an MC, while in his POV.

Well if thats the case you can't really describe the MC at all without leaving point of view a little. If anyone has any suggestions thats good and I will look it over during tweaking but honestly I don't know that its a big enough issue to worry much about...or that it'd be worth losing that nice little descreption over.

And remember...he isnt really describing himself...it isn't first person. He does know what he looks like though

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean. Its a thin line I think. I wonder if you broke it up into two sentences. I think for me it may have been the A smile was on his face, which made me think someone was looking at him.

He smiled. The wind blew through his raven dark hair, streaked with cloud-grey and lightning white.

I don't know Merilon, I will be interested to see what others say here, because I have gotton gun shy about describing my characters. Acutally describing everything in general.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Your idea sounds like a good one.

Yes...I think some here obessess a little to much about point of view. My focus is on telling the story, and trying to make the reader see and feel whats happening. You don't want to ignore it, but you don't want to hamstring yourself worrying about it either.

3rd person close isn't 1st person. The viewpoint person isnt actually telling the story. Its only from their "POV" in a general way...your not in their head, they are just the focus.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Its easy to be nonchalant when you can call a hurricane out of a clear sky and that sort of thing :-)

He can call up a hurricane? Where's it say that?

quote:
Why would stony be assumed from hulking or vice versa? the two are mostly unrelated. I wish to make it clear that they are large (hulking) and made or covered with rock (stony)

In the sentence you were using it in, it was unclear that you were trying to show them as "rock-covered", as opposed to a "stony" countenace. And I--as I'm sure most readers of fantasy--wouldn't need to be told "hulking" to describe a ten-foot-tall troll.

quote:

I'm not sure I understand this one. Your saying it needs to be "hefted an stone or wooden clubs" or "hefted stones and wooden clubs?"

Hmm..is it an intentional miscontrument? Because, I said

quote:

...hefting [either an a needs to be here, or an...] stone[s needs to be here.] or wooden clubs

Which would look, properly, like:
...hefting a stone or wooden clubs. OR ...hefting stones or wooden clubs.

Make more sense now?

And, I didn't get that they were stone clubs and wooden clubs until you said something. (That means it's unclear prose.)

quote:

He's human, as far as I know. And no there isnt. Why do you ask?

Well, if there isn't a natural enmity between humans and trolls, why would the trolls just attack him? Seems...stereotypical/cliche.

quote:

So it would seem.

No, you're not being facetious... (So, how would anyone see an eyebrow raise?)

quote:

Can you clarify please? Just saying "PoV?" doesnt tell me much.

Most people who've posted at least one fragment for feedback understand that the letters P, O and V stand for Point of View--which, when followed by a question mark means the Point of View is unclear. If anymore clarification is needed, there are a plethora of How to Write... books out there.

Now I recall why I avoid wasting time commenting on your thirteens, thanks for the reminder.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 16, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 16, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
Now THAT was a blatant insult. Fine specimen. *taking notes*

About POV, I think with the style here, it's fairly acceptable to write what he looks like. How can we ladies crush on him if we don't know such salient points?

I hate doing it myself, but people who read in this vein complain to me about it. There's always the other side...

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

Hey, when do you think this will be finished? I'm getting more interested in reading it, and I was fairly interested before.

Put me on the list of wanna-reads!

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Thanks, Arachne. Its hard for me to say for sure. I'd like to have a draft by mid-week. I will send it to you as soon as I finish.

I am trying to branch out a little as far as plot structure, and I'm sort of at the problematic point right now, but I think I will be past it soon.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.