Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Golb's Daughter - Fantasy - 8,000 words

Author Topic: Golb's Daughter - Fantasy - 8,000 words
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
This one is now finished (1st draft) at 8,000 words. I am looking for readers if anyone has some time. Thanks!

See last post for final version

Golb's Daughter

The god called the Silver Ram tumbled headlong from his celestial perch. He fell, burning across the wide sky, to collide with the planet in a towering fountain of dust and pulverized bedrock. He lay there in pain for minutes or hours, struggling to master the alien sensation of physical pain. With an effort, he began scrambling up the narrow walls, willing old flesh to remember its long abandoned utility.
The climb exhausted him, so he didn't sense the mortal's presence until it poked its grimy head into the hole.
"The god slay me, how did you get down there?" the mortal croaked, clearly unaware of the uncanny prescience of his words. The man stretched and offered both hands to aid the god.

Original Version (see 2nd revision below)
Golb's Daughter

The god they called the Silver Ram tumbled headlong from his celestial perch, and collided with the profane earth in a towering fountain of dust and vaporized bedrock. When his sight cleared, he was surprised to discover that in addition to searing pain, he would have to endure a physical climb out of the hole he had punched in the planet he once ruled. So fresh was the wound of his diminished state, he was unable to appreciate the irony, so he set about scrambling up the narrow walls, willing old flesh to remember it's long abandoned utility. The climb exhausted him, so he didn't sense the presence of a mortal until it poked its grimy head into the hole.
"The god slay me, how did you get down there?" the mortal croaked, clearly unaware of the uncanny prescience of his words.

[This message has been edited by alliedfive (edited August 21, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by alliedfive (edited June 19, 2009).]

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey alliedfive. Here's what I picked up:

* 'The god they called the Silver Ram tumbled headlong from his celestial perch' - a ram on a perch is an odd image. Birds perch.
* 'the profane earth' - a strange choice of word. Do you mean the earth is profane to a God because it isn't heaven? I'd find another word - 'profane' sounds... I don't know, almost pretentious. Melodramatic, perhaps.
* 'a towering fountain of dust and vaporized bedrock' - take out a few of the adjectives etc, and you've got 'the Silver Ram tumbled from his perch, and collided with the earth in a fountain of dust'. It almost sounds like the silver ram IS the fountain, showering down to earth from heaven (not that he sent up a fountain of debris with the force of his impact). Could be just me, but I'd consider rewording that sentence. Incidentally, I'm not sure you'd be able to actually see the 'vaporized bedrock' in the fountain of dust, so I'd cut it.
* 'When his sight cleared' - we didn't know his sight was obscured in the first place, so this seems to come out of nowhere.

Truth be told, I only really like the last two sentences of this (' The climb...' to '...prescience of his words') - we start to get a little bit of the Silver Ram's voice and character; I quite like the Silver Ram's arrogance. I think I'd read on a little further, but the opening lines could really do with an overhaul (especially your first sentence).

Hope this helps,
Daniel.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I like this idea! It could use some tweaking, but please don't lose its essence. "The god they called the Silver Ram " violates POV. What does he call himself? And "he was unable to appreciate the irony" also pulls me out of his POV, but I like the idea. Maybe its okay to be a little distant?

Could I suggest "toppled" instead of "tumbled", if he is meant to have been a statue until now? Not sure about "celestial" because I didn't get the sense that it was a long way down, if that is what you meant. Maybe "sacred"? I pictured him on a high pinnacle, maybe a little higher than the surrounding buildings (if there are any), since "they" were aware of him. I suspect the hole is caused when the god touches profane earth, but if it meant to be from an object falling a long way, it would make a crater-shaped hole.

I think perch is fine. Profane didn't bother me, but you don't need it. It could be misleading, that maybe the Ram is what got smashed into a fountain of dust, but then it is clear what happened in the next sentence. Not sure about vaporized, how about pulverized? I like the image of punching a hole in the planet. Hmm, I don't know how far down you have to go to find bedrock--depends on the terrain. Dirt might be enough, but it is packed pretty darn hard, not too far down. How deep is this hole?

I think he would notice the pain before any thought of whether or not he can see clearly.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited August 08, 2008).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, good suggestions. I didn't actually picture this character looking like a ram, or being a statue. I just pictured a god (who could take whatever form he pleased) with the name, and possibly the earthly idols built for him looked like a ram. The sight clearing thing is because of the dust. I am indeed going for an omniscient POV here, but I guess that only lasts the first sentence. Lets try this, less prose, possibly clearer? Let me know what you think.

Revision 1.

Golb's Daughter

The god they called the Silver Ram tumbled headlong from his celestial perch. He fell, burning across the wide sky, to collide with the earth in a towering fountain of dust and pulverized bedrock. He felt physical pain then, it shocked and offended him. His body had punched a hole in the planet he once ruled, and he would now have to physically climb out of it. So fresh was the wound of his diminished state, he was unable to appreciate the irony, so he began scrambling up the narrow walls, willing old flesh to remember it's long abandoned utility. The climb exhausted him, so he didn't sense the mortal's presence until it poked its grimy head into the hole.
"The god slay me, how did you get down there?" the mortal croaked, clearly unaware of the uncanny prescience of his words.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
alliedfive, if you send it to me, I'd be glad to read. there were some punctuation things that are very small and would be easier to note in text than to do in a reply. I liked it quite a bit. On the whole I might say cut about 25 percent of the adjectives - they're lovely, but too many and it just slows down the action too much. To me - personal preference.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

debhoag, I'm sending along around 1,600 words of 1st draft. I'm not sure how long this one might go, but it feels like it's arcing a little longer than a short story. Maybe you can tell me if you agree. Thanks for taking a look at it.
alliedfive
Member # 7811

Ok, the first draft ended up around 8,000 words. I am now looking for readers. Any takers?
alliedfive
Member # 7811

Kathleen, would you be so kind as to change the title of my post to the following: Golb's Daughter - Fantasy - 8,000 words

Thanks!

alliedfive
Member # 7811

Ok, another super old one that I never submitted anywhere. This was the second story I ever wrote (about a year ago now), and I've gone back and cleaned it up, but I still feel it's a little long.

I'm looking for readers of the whole thing.

Here's the latest 1st thirteen:

The silver god tumbled from his celestial home and burned a fiery streak across the wide sky. He collided with the planet, sending up a towering fountain of dust and pulverized bedrock.

After, at the bottom of the deep smoking wound in the earth, he lay with his silver eyes closed. After a time, he mastered the returning sensation of physical pain and, with an effort, drew himself upright and began scrambling up the narrow walls of the crater, willing old flesh to remember its long-abandoned utility.

Some hours later he drew a rattling sigh of relief when he felt sunlight heat his skin. Exhaustion distracted him enough that he failed to sense the mortal presence until it poked its grimy head over the crater’s edge.

[This message has been edited by alliedfive (edited June 19, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 20, 2009).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.