Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Quasar D'Arete and the Centauri Strangler

Author Topic: Quasar D'Arete and the Centauri Strangler
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
Surrounded by the swarms of disinfectant nano-bots that dwelled inside his spaceship's morgue, Quasar D'Arete leaned back in his chair and rested his boots on the autopsy table. He gazed through his sunglasses at the eleven-dimensional screen of the handheld necrometer one last time, then casually tossed it across the room.
Hercules Moonsmasher's muscles bulged as he caught the all-in-one autopsy machine. He glanced at the readings, then placed the device next to the quartet of corpses on the table. The cadavers all had broken necks, and their larynxes, esophagi, tracheas, and lungs had been ripped out through their throats. Their faces were purple and black, their heads turgid, their features distorted. Some of them were missing eyeballs.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
the title alone is worth a read. I had just three nits: if you're going to talk 11 dimensions, you should know what they are. I had a hard time picturing how 11 dimensions could be useful or necessary for a humanoid to review an autopsy report; the second nit was that it would be a lot of work to squish a lung through somebody's throat, the third nit is that the word eyeball seems rather informal.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments. The eleven dimensions pertain to string theory. The lung removal will be explained later in the story. I'll change eyeballs to eyes. Best regards,

Brant

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Some observations on the 1st 13:

Surrounded by the swarms of disinfectant nano-bots that dwelled inside his spaceship's morgue, Quasar D'Arete leaned back in his chair and rested his boots on the autopsy table.
Good start, good writing.

He gazed through his sunglasses at the eleven-dimensional screen of the handheld necrometer one last time, then casually tossed it across the room.
"Gazed" made me think of staring at some far off thing, or gazing into a lovers eyes. Maybe squinted, or peered, or something might be better.

Hercules Moonsmasher's muscles bulged as he caught the all-in-one autopsy machine.
Do all of your muscles bulge when you catch something "hand-held"? I pictured him flexing like a bodybuilder while catching it. Maybe you could focus on his hand, or forearm muscles.

He glanced at the readings, then placed the device next to the quartet of corpses on the table.
Quartet is irreverent, but probably unnecesary. "Four" would serve just as well.

The cadavers all had broken necks, and their larynxes, esophagi, tracheas, and lungs had been ripped out through their throats.
At first I thought the "through their throats" was redundant, but then noticed you had added "lungs" in there as well. Worth thinking about.

Their faces were purple and black, their heads turgid, their features distorted.
Turgid huh? Anyone here read Steven Erikson? He uses that word a LOT.

Some of them were missing eyeballs.
I agree about the eye/eyballs thing. Also, with only four bodies, "some of them" seems strangely imprecise. You could say "three of them".

Overall, I like it, and would read on.

My two cents.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
you better send it to me to read then . And, believe it or not, because I am a geezer, I'm also reasonably knowledgeable about string theory (as long as no one asks me any questions about it). I just don't see why eleven dimensions would be needed in a body scan/autopsy device. I'm willing to believe, but I want a reason.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 11, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brant,

I like this opening. It’s clear, has an immediate hook and introduces us to a character to follow. It also promises an intriguing scenario. I’m a sucker for a murder mystery, so this is a great start for me.

I have a few very minor nits, all of which have been identified by other people. The first is the muscles rippling of Hercules Moonsmasher…it’s a little bit cartoonish, though you seem to want that given his name. However, if you want a cartoonish feel to the story, it’s a bit at odds with the graphic nature of the autopsy scene.

If you use turgid to describe the heads, then I imagine that they’re extremely swollen, probably beyond the swelling that would be caused by a beating. Even if they had big hemotomas, I’d imagine they’d go down pretty quickly after death (though I’m not a doctor, etc.) Simply the heads as bruised and swollen will probably do the trick.

Finally, unless you have a really good use for the 11-dimension scanner, I’d discard it. I only know enough about string theory to know that I know nothing about it. As far as I’m aware, the “extra” dimensions purely refer to dimensions at the sub-atomic level. If you only intend it as a technological device for background colour, I’d abandon it as you’ll immediately lose anyone who understands string theory. If you actually have a use for it, make sure that you bring it into the story as soon as you can so that there isn’t a credibility issue.

Cheers,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.