Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Shepherd of Men - Fantasy - 6,780 words

Author Topic: Shepherd of Men - Fantasy - 6,780 words
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Now looking for readers of the whole thing, its about 6,780 words.

Original 1st thirteen (see revision below):

Torchlight colored the mist of Gripp's breath as it disappeared into the darkness over the wall of the fort.
Gripp's companion on the late watch--everyone called him Fatlip--hadn't shut his mouth for more than a few seconds in the last hour. "Is it true what they say about your family?" He watched Gripp nod minutely and whistled in disbelief. "All dead in service to Dunfall? Ain't that some luck."
"My mother is still alive," said Gripp.
Fatlip shivered. "The boys all have bets about why you got sent out here with the rest of us. See, we've all had our problems: fighting, deserting, general laziness." Fatlip smiled. "But you, seems you're one of Master Rallum's favorites. Heard he offered you a discharge when your last brother bought it--no disrespect."

[This message has been edited by alliedfive (edited September 17, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by alliedfive (edited September 26, 2008).]

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a major POV issue here. You started this off as Gripp's story but it became Fatlip's POV. Confusing and jarring. Other things...

quote:
Gripp's companion on the late watch--everyone called him Fatlip--

cut everything before 'Fatlip'.

quote:
He watched Gripp nod minutely

cut the 'minutely'. Those 'ly' adverbs need to be kept to a minimum and I had to think what 'minutely' meant.

quote:
Fatlip shivered...

Fatlip smiled.

Your overdoing it on the description tags again. Watch it. I suggest you keep the first one but definitely cut 'Fatlip smiled'. It reads a lot smoother with conitinous dialog.

Despite my complaints I think this is a good hook. Nice job.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 17, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Good catch Snapper. I want to stay in Gripp's POV as Fatlip doesn't last long.

Gripp usually didn't mind the late watch--despite the cold--but his companion that night hadn't shut his mouth for more than a few seconds in the last hour. Gripp suddenly realized why they called him Fatlip.
"It's true then? What they say about your family." Fatlip said.
Gripp nodded and heard Fatlip whistle.
"All dead in service to Dunfall. Ain't that some luck."
Fatlip managed a few seconds of silence before continuing. "The boys all have bets about why you got sent out here with the rest of us. See, we've all had our problems: fighting, deserting, general laziness." Fatlip smiled. "But you, from what I've heard, you're one of Master Rallum's favorites. I heard he

Does that fix it without ruining the hook?

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Your first submit opening...

quote:
Torchlight colored the mist of Gripp's breath as it disappeared into the darkness over the wall of the fort

...is superior to this one. Add it to this one.

Also, Fatlip smiled is a POV switch unless Gripp is looking at him (which isn't clear if he is). Cut it, you don't need that description tag anyway.

Hook is weaker without that first line that immerses us in the scene and mood of the moment.

Edit to add...

...and cut the suddenly

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 17, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

Gotcha, I misread your comments. I thought by "cut everything before 'Fatlip'.", you meant the whole previous sentence also. Thanks again. So we have:

Torchlight colored the mist of Gripp's breath as it disappeared over the wall of the fort and into darkness. He usually didn't mind the late watch, despite the cold, but his companion that night hadn't shut his mouth for more than a few seconds in the last hour. Now Gripp knew why they called him Fatlip.
"It's true then? What they say about your family." Fatlip said.
Gripp nodded and heard Fatlip whistle.
"All dead in service to Dunfall. Ain't that some luck."
Fatlip managed a few seconds of silence before continuing. "The boys all have bets about why you got sent out here with the rest of us. See, we've all had our problems: fighting, deserting, general laziness. But you're one of Master Rallum's favorites. I

edited to remove the "suddenly"

snapper
Member # 7299

Other than that adverb cut I failed to post in time for this version, it looks good to me. Let's see what others think.
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
AlliedFive,

I think the revision is pretty good and does the job. I agree on the importance of the opening image (great scene-setter) but I had a bit of a stumble reading it the first time around. I momentarily thought “Is it the torch light disappearing or his breath?” Stupid, I know, but it might be worth fiddling with to see if idiots like me don’t get caught up.

Other than that, pretty sharp. I’ll probably be free to read it when it’s finished.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

This one has a first draft now at 6,780 words. Anyone up for reading it?

Kathleen, could you kindly change the title of this thread to reflect the word count instead of "Unfinished"? Thanks.

C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look over the whole thing for you, and not just b/c I owe you. The relationship between Gripp and Fatlip intrigues me, as well as the dialog.

Please send.

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alliedfive,

I never received a copy of this. Are you still looking for readers?

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks pretty good to me, I'd read on.

Just a couple of minor nits:

Torchlight colored the mist of Gripp's breath Could be cut to "Torchlight colored Gripp's breath..."

but his companion that night hadn't shut his mouth You could cut the "that night" as we already know it's night.

"All dead in service to Dunfall. Ain't that some luck." I was a little unsure at first who was speaking here.

I'd be happy to read the whole thing if you like

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

Nick T and Monstewer, it's on its way. Thanks guys.
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are still looking for readers, I'll take a look.
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.