Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Lucky Cumshaw (Flash Fantasy)

Author Topic: Lucky Cumshaw (Flash Fantasy)
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for volunteers to read the whole story, fewer than 750 words. This story is for Writer's Digest Your Story #14 contest. The prompt: "A man receives a package with no return address. It contains a pirate-style eye patch and a note."

----------

Bob Arnold removed a lumpy, brown envelope from his Rubbermaid mailbox. Curiosity shifted to confusion as he noticed the envelope, addressed to him, listed no return address.

"Who's it from?" he murmured to no one as he followed the path. He pushed on the crinkly bulge.

When he entered the kitchen, his wife peered over his shoulder. "What'd we get?" Sherry asked.

He showed her the small package. "Just this."

"Real stamps. Must be personal."

Inside the envelope, Bob found a pirate-style eye patch, faded black and ragged around the edges, and a note typed like the address. The note read simply, "Wear for luck."

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited September 20, 2008).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, I'm intrigued. The prompt was certainly a fun one, but more, I like your solid writing style. The only thing that stuck out at me was "Curiosity shifted to confusion" in only the second line. Maybe just stick with the feeling of "confusion," to tighten and avoid too many abstract emotions in the opening lines? But that's so nitpicky of me. I really enjoy the mystery and would be pleased to look at the rest. I owe you anyway.
Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

I appreciate nitpicky, especially for a flash piece.

The rest is on its way to you.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Aspirit,

I'm off critiquing duty this week, so I can't look at it, but a few very minor nitpicks from the 1st 13...

I don't think you need to have Bob saying "where did it come from?" to himself. Once we've got the description of their being no-return address, we have all the information we need. I've never liked characters talking to themselves, it often comes across slightly false. If you don't need to do it for whatever reason, I'd get rid of it.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious or the US postal system is different to ours, but the line "Real stamps. Must be personal" threw me. What do you mean by this?

Finally, you can probably just say "typed note".

Anyway, all minor nits and it's a clever approach to the story guidelines. Definitely enough to get me to read over the page.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Nick, U.S. businesses use metered postage (an ink-stamp from a machine), permit imprints (a box printed on the mailpiece, used in high-volume mailings like "junk mail"), or postage labels printed from the Postal Service's website. Except in rare cases, I see stamps only on mailpieces from someone I've met, like a family member or old coworker.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.