Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Attention to detail - SF Unfinished

Author Topic: Attention to detail - SF Unfinished
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Not quite sure where I'm going for this one (usually not a good sign)...I've got a goal of 3000 words in just over a week for a critique group. Comments on the 1st 13 welcome and eventually readers (if I finish it).

Regards,

Nick

Dr Grant guided Claire as they re-experienced her memories of her son. He kept pausing the flow of memories.
<See how he squirmed to being touched? Neurotypical children love being held. As we observed in your experiences of nursing, his aversion to touch was apparent from birth. So was his fascination with patterned objects. William was born autistic.>
She conceptualized the safe-word to abort the re-experiencing and the sensation of being an invisible ghost at her own funeral vanished.
As she reoriented herself to normality, a wave of sorrow for Billy threatened to overwhelm her. She did not want to cry in front of Dr Grant, but a sob forced its way out.

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm I feel a sense of tragic loss already... I liked what you done here even though I don't enjoy reading tragic scenes it touched me so you accomplished that...btw as an aside are your arrows for italics? I use open office and can't get italics to down load ...that looks like a great idea to show them....
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Hi Honu,

In this forum, I use [the letter i] to start italics and [/the letter i] to stop them. I'm not sure whether that would work for you.

Here, I'm using <> to indicate exchanged "thoughts". For direct character thoughts, I'd still use italics. If I'm submitting something, I'd use underlining instead of italics, as per the convention.

Regards,

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited October 30, 2008).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rosalie005
Member # 3676

- posted      Profile for Rosalie005   Email Rosalie005         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Nick,

I like what you have so far. It's interesting. My suggestion is only in the sentence order. I changed the location of a few of them, but they are only suggestions. If you finish it I'd like to read the rest.

Melissa

Dr Grant guided Claire as they re-experienced her memories of her son.
<See how he squirmed at being touched?> He said pausing the flow of memories. <Neurotypical children love being held. As we observed in your experiences of nursing, his aversion to touch was apparent from birth. So was his fascination with patterned objects. William was born autistic.>
She conceptualized the safe-word and aborted the re-experiencing.
As she reoriented herself to normality the sensation of being an invisible ghost at her own funeral vanished. A wave of sorrow for Billy threatened to overwhelm her. She did not want to cry in front of Dr Grant, but a sob forced its way out.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ereitman
Member # 8265

- posted      Profile for ereitman   Email ereitman         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, but I like Melissa's re-ordering even more. Looks like a really interesting start.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting stuff.

I like Melissa's re-ordering--the “He kept pausing” was off-putting where it was.

You might like to simplify some of your word choices: conceptualized, re-experiencing, sensation, reoriented, normality. Any would probably work on its own, but together they push the register a little high.

quote:

a wave of sorrow for Billy threatened to overwhelm her. She did not want to cry in front of Dr Grant, but a sob forced its way out.

Telling, plus emo dump. As a reader, I tend to get turned off if I'm exposed to a whole lot of emotion from characters I've barely met. Given the context, a very little would suffice to let me know how she must be feeling--and it would leave more room to go on tell me the rest of your story.

Still not done with War Memorial, yet, but I'd be happy to take a look at this when I am.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Your story interests me. I've had some experience in the field of autism, and people with varying degrees of autism seem to have a way of gravitating toward me. I've actually been putting together ideas for two stories of my own about the subject. Don't worry though, mine appear to be going in a different direction than yours.

I also thought Rosalie's reordering improved the flow of the opening lines.

quote:
She conceptualized the safe-word to abort the re-experiencing and the sensation of being an invisible ghost at her own funeral vanished.

Having her "say" or think "the safe-word" might be a more effective way of conveying this part. I didn't understand the "ghost at her own funeral" part. It appears that she the one that is alive, but she is possibly grieving for her son.

I'd continue reading.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Rosalie, great re-write. I've had a shot at getting the idea together for this story, but it's just not flowing at the moment, so I've moved onto another story idea. Philocinemas, you're free to work away :-)

Regards,

Nick

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.