Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Dot Dash (first 13 only)

Author Topic: Dot Dash (first 13 only)
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
LAST REVISION OF 1ST 13 BEFORE I GO STRAIGHT TO WRITING IT AND START THROWING IT TO THE WOTF GROUP IS AT THE END OF THIS THREAD.

2ND VERSION - 1ST REVISION:
Sixteen minutes does not seem like a long time, except when someone is waiting for a reply. It should have been nothing compared to the six cramped months it took for them to get there. Commander Thomas Merritt, Jr. pressed hard on the button and leaned into his emergency comm unit. “Repeat, requesting confirmation for space-walk!” He turned to his ship navigator. “I’m going out there to get him. You can tell me what they said when I get back.”
Navigator Michael Eddleston winced. “Tom, let me go.”
“This is my responsibility. I sent him out there. Besides, you’re supposed to be flying this thing, and I’d trust your ability to land it over mine any day.”
Mike paused. “All right, what do you need me to do?”

2ND VERSION:
Eight minutes does not seem like a long time, except when someone is waiting for a reply. Commander Thomas Merritt, Jr. pressed hard on the button and leaned into his backup Comm unit. “Repeat, request confirmation for space-walk!” He turned to his ship navigator. “I’m going out there to get him. You can tell me what they said when I get back.”
Navigator Michael Eddleston said, “Tom, let me go.”
“This is my responsibility. I sent him out there.”
“But you’re the mission commander.”
“And you’re flying this thing, and I’d trust your ability to land it over mine any day.”
Tom gave a sly grin. “Just leave the light on for me.”

ORIGINAL:
Tommy Merritt sat beside his father staring up at the enormous screen and wondering what faster-than-light communication would be like. The red orb filled the screen, but this was really about eight minutes ago. By now the satellite had achieved orbit around Mars and was about send an historic message – the letter “A”.
Two sets of red digital numbers flickered side by side on the screen. The first was Earth-time down to the millisecond. The second was Mars real-time and equally as precise. Eight minutes doesn’t seem like a long time, except when someone is waiting for a reply. However, if his father's Particle Entanglement Communicator (PEC) worked, there would never have to be any wait time again.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited December 05, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited December 09, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited December 11, 2008).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
All these numbers in the opening hurt my brain. Maybe that's b/c it's 1 a.m. Maybe it's b/c numbers hurt my brain on any occasion whatsoever. Or maybe, as a reader, I'd rather learn about the characters first, the technology second. Should this info be presented a little later, after I'm drawn in to the story?
Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
The three double consonants in the name was irksome to me.

The remainder of this first paragragh seemed quite wordy and could use some focus

I wasn't particularly grabbed by this one.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
My comments below...

Tommy Merritt sat beside his father staring up at the enormous screen and wondering what faster-than-light communication would be like.<--This is a little awkward for me. FTL comms would not be much different than regular comms (which travel near the speed of light anyway), so I'm not sure what Tommy is wondering about here. The red orb filled the screen, but this was really about eight minutes ago.<--I understand what you're saying, but the sentence is awkward.By now the satellite had achieved orbit around Mars and was about send an historic message – the letter “A”. Perhpas, "A red orb, indicating the satellite's orbit around Mars..."; also, would the letter "A" be an historic message - if we've gotten to the point of FTL comms, then I would think a much larger data stream would be sent.
Two sets of red digital numbers flickered side by side on the screen. The first was Earth-time down to the millisecond. The second was Mars real-time and equally as precise.<--I personally have a hard time with this -- not this particular sentence, but with the whole concept of "simulatneous time" at different places in the universe. It's quite tricky to get this right technically, so if this is a major plot point, then you may want to check out Time Travel in Einstein's Universe, which covers this in depth. In short, there really isn't a such thing as simultaneous events when dealing with FTL speeds - it all depends on the frame of reference. http://ciei.colorado.edu/physics2130/Lectures/L6/space_time.pdf Eight minutes doesn’t seem like a long time, except when someone is waiting for a reply. However, if his father's Particle Entanglement Communicator (PEC) worked, there would never have to be any wait time again.<--Now the first sentence makes more sense, but I think you need to get to the point fast with this one.

I'm not sure where this is going. I presume the POV (Tommy) is from young(ish) child, so I would wonder just how much he would comprehend about this communication system or if this is even the main point of the plot.

I would be more apt to read if the POV was from the man who invented the PEC, but this doesn't grab my interest by itself. The concept is a neat idea, but at this point it doesn't have enough to keep my attention.

Maybe if you tighten up the First 13 so that it's evident what's happening up front, then you can add more "hook" - something dramatic, some type of conflict, or just something that makes readers want to continue.

Without any suspense or foreshadowing of what's coming, I can't say I'd read much further.

[This message has been edited by KPKilburn (edited December 05, 2008).]

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are echoing what I was feeling from this opening. I already have a story put together in my mind - just having a hard time getting it started.

Thanks.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

All right, new version's up above. If anyone wants, have at it - all comments welcomed.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
A very quick assessment.

I liked it better than your first and it hooks for me. One minor suggestion.

quote:
Tom gave a sly grin.

Try...

Tom smiled a sly grin.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
hiyas I was having a little trouble picturing it all....I think when he leaned into his back up comm unit I did a "huh?".... then I lost the story...I think I read someone's in trouble and 8 minutes is the time line to sort it out...the commander is taking on the mission (like Kirk does) instead of the navigator Michael....I think if you can show what happened to whoever needs to be rescued right off the bat I would be more likely hooked...Joe spaceman's oxygen recycler shut down and he passed out and is non-responsive...that sorta thingie hope this helps
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I just realized I'll have to edit this anyway. Why? Math - The time should be 16 minutes. That's the approximate time it takes a signal to travel from Mars to Earth and then back again when they're closest to one another.

Hey, maybe by the time I finish editing the first 13, I'll have enough material to complete the story.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

OK, last try and then I guess I'll just work on my own. The latest attempt is at the top. Thank you, the three who looked at the first version, for the redirection. And thanks, Snapper and honu, for your time as well.

I'd appreciate it if someone could comment on the first line. It's in present tense, but I felt like it would be OK since it is more of an aphorism.

KPKilburn
Member # 6876

I liked the premise of the first version better than this one. This seems like a completely different story. Although it's a little more "action" oriented, this doesn't really work for me. Some comments below...

Sixteen minutes does not seem like a long time, except when someone is waiting for a reply.

This line is awkward for me, especially as an opener. I can't put my finger on it, but it's jarring. I can think of dozens of times "sixteen minutes" is an eternity.

It should have been nothing compared to the six cramped months it took for them to get there. Commander Thomas Merritt, Jr. pressed hard on the button and leaned into his emergency comm unit. “Repeat, requesting confirmation for space-walk!”

I'm assuming the CDR Merritt is waiting for a reply (sixteen minutes after his first transmission), so I'm not sure what he's repeating. I'm not sure you'd even attempt real-time two-way voice communications. If it takes sixteen minutes and they have the technology to travel that far out, a few things come to mind:

1. They would not rely on the command and control of a base/station that's so far away that communications take sixteen minutes to receive. The mission commander would be pretty much on his own and wouldn't have to request permission from anyone as long as he was operating within his higher commander's guidance and intent.

2. They would probably use a form of e-mail or text messaging or else the people trying to communicate would completely confuse each other as they attempted to repeat transmissions. A delay of only 5 seconds or so is EXTREMELY annoying and difficult, so I can't imagine they'd use voice unless it's "push to talk" like a radio. If so, they would use "radio procedures" like, "Base, this is Falcon Six, requesting to use the latrine, over." (i.e., person you're calling, your identification, and a closing callword -- over, out, break).

He turned to his ship navigator. “I’m going out there to get him. You can tell me what they said when I get back.”

Does it matter what they said at this point? He's going to do what he wants regardless (which is probably the better decision anyway).

Navigator Michael Eddleston winced. “Tom, let me go.”

Not sure if this is military or not, but in a commander/subordinate relationship, I'm not sure Mike would call his commander by his first name. (Though it does happen even in the military if the guys are old friends -- it's sir in front of the troops and Tom all other times).

“This is my responsibility. I sent him out there. Besides, you’re supposed to be flying this thing, and I’d trust your ability to land it over mine any day.”

Does the navigator fly? On an aircraft, the navigator is usually concerned only with navigating. The pilot flies the craft.

I'm just not keen on the whole idea of a all-too-heroic commander like Captain James T. Kirk who puts himself into peril because of a situation he created. Yes, it happens, but I find it too cliche' in writing for my tastes. A commander (at least in the military) is a leader and positions himself where he can best command and control. That doesn't mean he simply sits around and waits for things to happen. In the context of this story, I don't know how many others are on this mission -- I'm assuing just the three of them.

Just one parting shot...

If you want to go with this opening, I think it would be better if you simply make the commander decisive and begin with him broadcasting that he's going to attempt a rescue and that by the time they get the message, he'll be executing it. If he's a smart ass, he could say something like, "Base, this is Six... I've got a bad situation here, so by the time you get this, I'll be outside taking a smoke break. If you don't hear from me in another sixteen minutes, that means... well, you know the deal."

I'll spare you any further "editorial commentary" - just my opinions anyway.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

KPKilburn,

Thanks for the reply. This story is going to be about the first manned mission to Mars. It is a NASA mission, and I believe a mission commander would still do a spacewalk, especially if the only other person on board was the pilot/navigator. I thought about calling him a "pilot", but most of the actual "flying" is gravity - so I thought navigator would be a more precise term. There were no pilots in Star Trek, and I feel that it is not a very pertanent term for space travel, at least not yet. As for the first name use, it appears to me from recorded NASA audio transmissions that this is quite common.

You have a good point about whether the commander would have to wait for approval from Mission Control. This has been the case in the past, except for small split second decisions like Armstrong's overshooting the targeted landing site on the moon. However, they are using a backup/emergency comm system. The main system is down, which is actually a big part of the story and I intended to get to that very shortly.

What all of this tells me is that I have started in the wrong place again. I apologize if I seem irritated; I am really just frustrated. I could write an opening that explains all of this, but then I'll be infodumping. I feel like I am going in a vicious circle.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
What struck me most was the dialogue. It's a bit canned, and I feel like it's the standard song and dance commanders and commandees go through.

I wonder if you can skip forward a bit and start when the commander is actually in the spacewalk already. Alternatively back up and start when they have to start using back-up emergency comm? It's hard to say without knowing what the crux of the story is.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

quote:
What all of this tells me is that I have started in the wrong place again. I apologize if I seem irritated; I am really just frustrated. I could write an opening that explains all of this, but then I'll be infodumping. I feel like I am going in a vicious circle.

Good points and perhaps it may not need explaining. I just assumed "military" from the use of commander, but that may not be the general impression.

No apologies necessary -- I know the frustration. Resist the urge to "infodump" - take it from me, I fall into that trap quite often and find myself cutting pages of (what I thought was) good info.

I think you can set it up within the First 13 quite easily without having to infodump. It's just finding that magical "hook".

Good luck with it.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to go ahead a write it out and then go back and fix it. I appreciate all the input.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Alright, I lied. One last time, and then I'll leave everyone alone. Or everyone will leave me alone, whichever one comes first.

Sixteen minutes is not a long time except when waiting for a reply. It was nothing compared to the six cramped months it took to get there. Commander Thomas Merritt, Jr. pressed hard on the button and leaned into his emergency comm. “Mission Control, we have a problem. Our PEC system is not functioning. Over.”
“I knew that PECer was going to cause us problems,” Ship Navigator Michael Eddleston said with a scowl.
“I’d appreciate it if you didn’t call it that,” Tom said.
“Sorry. But they might not even let us land until we get that thing working. Got to have everybody back on Earth watching the instantaneous telecast of man’s first steps on Mars.”
Tom ignored him. He peered out through the thick window and watched the giant red orb. Olympus Mons seemed to be staring

KPKilburn
Member # 6876

Just a quick comment for now...

quote:
“I knew that PECer was going to cause us problems,” Ship Navigator Michael Eddleston said with a scowl.

I didn't catch the pronunciation at first. I posted a similar topic a while back and the feedback was that acronyms, when spoken, should be written as they sound.

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/004391.html

So, the line may be better as, "I knew that pecker was going to cause us problems..."

[This message has been edited by KPKilburn (edited December 11, 2008).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I've never read anything from WoTF. Is that going to be acceptable?
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things Philo, then I'm going to bed.

1) You are losing your hook.

Sending a man out in space for a repair isn't as exciting as the 'got to get out there now because it's life and death' opening you had inthe other versions.

2) These first two sentences

quote:
Sixteen minutes is not a long time except when waiting for a reply. It was nothing compared to the six cramped months it took to get there.

Are you sure you want to open with a negative statement? How about combining the two sentences...

Sixteen minutes; nothing compared to the six cramped months it took to get there, but a long time when waiting for a reply.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EtherealReality
Member # 8323

- posted      Profile for EtherealReality   Email EtherealReality         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely concur with Snapper. You had a very good hook with the earlier posts, and the emergency spacewalks. You just need to polish it up a bit; bring us into your reality. Such as either before or after the captain replies, "And you’re flying this thing..." you could have him start calling out orders across the bridge, (e.g.: Lt. [Insert Name] map all hazardous debris in close orbit, Sgt. [insert name] Turn us port toward the sun, I don't need my PECer getting burnt out there." ) Keep your initial hook and tighten up the dialogue I think. Combined with the urgent spacewalk hook and the fluidity of dialogue in your last post I think you've really got something here.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.