Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The only way to fly - Fantasy, 1000 words

Author Topic: The only way to fly - Fantasy, 1000 words
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Feedback on the first 13, of course. If anyone would like to read the rest....that is good too. Its just a small silly thing.

“Will it hurt, Mommy?” Davey asked. His wide blue eyes looked up at me from out of a round pink face. I held Davey’s hand as we inched to the front of the check-in line.
“Of course not, travelling in a sardine can is the only way to go.” I said and gave his hand a quick squeeze. “And we’ll see Daddy before you know it.”
“Yay! Daddy!” Davey dropped my hand and spun in a circle his arms flinging out in all directions.
“Stop that, now,” I said to the small dervish and snatched at a whirling arm. “It’s our turn.” I captured his arm and we stepped up to the check-in counter.
The woman peered at Davey over the tall counter and smiled.
“Where are you going to today?”

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 12, 2009).]

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
CUTE story please send
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Young
Member # 8421

- posted      Profile for Tim Young   Email Tim Young         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read the rest of it.
timyoungenator@gmail.com
Is that the right way to do this? I'm new to this forum.

[This message has been edited by Tim Young (edited January 13, 2009).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
I';m intrigued. I want to see what "traveling by sardine can" means, and where daddy is that such a method of travel is required. Feel free to email the rest.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice opening. This reads as if it could be a mainstream story. Only thing gives me pause.

quote:
His wide blue eyes looked up at me from out of a round pink face

It's the out of a part. Makes me think that his face is weird, although I read enough published stories to know that a lot of publishers love these type of descriptions. Nevertheless, consider changing it to his, or just cut out of.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments. It's actually an expressionist story. They really *are* in a sardine can. LOL. I will send it on tonight.

thanks Snapper, for the "out of" comment. Oh, and I agree it does seem mainstream to me, too, unless I can find somewhere that likes expressionist fantasy other than FFO- where I got the idea to try this.

Maybe an inflight magazine....

Leslie

[This message has been edited by LAJD (edited January 13, 2009).]

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.