Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Lugzda, Lightbringer (Fantasy)WIP

Author Topic: Lugzda, Lightbringer (Fantasy)WIP
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for comments on this intro and a potential batch of readers for when it is completed in the next day or two. I want to get some feedback on the opening before I finish it.

It was an extravagant amount of lantern light.
Nervously, Lugzda tucked behind a boulder. “Purdy.” She wiped slobber of her sagging swollen lip. She hadn’t seen such a large many torches in procession since the funeral march of Wampati. She wondered who’d died and wished she could ask somebody, but she’d get her ears cut off. Chief Balzdug had banished her.
A bat beetle landed on her neck and scurried up to her ear, distracting her from the procession. Pinching it between her pudgy, filthy fingers she popped it in her mouth and squished it on the roof of her mouth with her tongue and swallowed. Then she giggled after squeezing out a flatulent cloud and admired its aroma. She slapped her hand against her mouth, a little too

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look at it for you.

My take:

quote:

It was an extravagant amount of lantern light.
Nervously, Lugzda [tucked<--Did you mean ducked?] behind a boulder. “Purdy.”<--[It took me a moment to realize that she's talking about the light.] She wiped slobber of her sagging swollen lip. She hadn’t seen such a large many torches in procession since the funeral march of Wampati. She wondered who’d died and wished she could ask somebody, but she’d get her ears cut off. Chief Balzdug had banished her.
A bat beetle landed on her neck and scurried up to her ear, distracting her from the procession. Pinching it between her pudgy, filthy fingers she popped it in her mouth and squished it on the roof of her mouth with her tongue and swallowed. Then she giggled after squeezing out a flatulent cloud and admired its aroma. She slapped her hand against her mouth, a little too

I like it. The only suggestion I'd make is to distill the opening couple of sentences:

Lugzda ducked behind a boulder. She hadn’t seen such a large procession of torches since the funeral march of Wampati. "Purdy." She wiped slobber of her sagging[,] swollen lip, and wondered who’d died. She wished she could ask somebody, but she’d get her ears cut off.

I love what you've got, but more so with a clean 1-2 punch.

I'd read on.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 16, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with IB. tucked isn't as crisp as ducked.

I would probably use the word purty rather than Purdy as when Purdy is capitalized it is too much like the last name and distracts. Another solution would be to not capitalize it and stick in an ellipsis " ...purdy"

You might want to rethink the phrase "a large many torches"

Seeing the word 'extravagant' on the first line was distracting and kept me from getting into the scene when insect mastication and flatulence were so lovingly treated later.

Other than that I am ready to be entertained. I wouldn't mind giving it a read.

- Owasm

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited March 17, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Off, not of.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Thanks guys. IB and Owasm, I'll send it along when it is finished...hopefully later today. Maybe tomorrow.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Such a large many...? This sounds odd to my ear...perhaps it's a British thing.

-Pinching it between her pudgy, filthy fingers she popped it in her mouth and squished it on the roof of her mouth with her tongue and swallowed.

You use 'and' twice in this sentence. This is something I usually try and avoid, although I am not certain if it is a 'rule'--but it is certainly a style choice I prefer. Just split the sentence:

-Pinching it between her pudgy, filthy fingers she popped it in her mouth. Using her tongue, she squished it on the roof and swallowed.

-Then she giggled after squeezing out a flatulent cloud and admired its aroma.

The chronology of this sentence is inaccurate and this always attracts my eye.

1. She squeezes out at flatulent cloud.
2. She giggles.
3. She admires the aroma (although this may be before or after the giggle.

My personal preference is to keep the chronology so that the prose unfolds as things happen--unless of course you are going for a specific effect.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Thanks, Skadder. I noticed the chronology issue also. Unfortunately, it carries over into the next two lines also. I will have to revise that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.