Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Continuity - 5600 words

Author Topic: Continuity - 5600 words
Dame
Member # 8513

- posted      Profile for Dame   Email Dame         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

This is a sci-fi short that I think could do with a little more jazz in the first 13. Any comments and readers welcome.

Dame

Continuity 5600 words

When the ship took control of her droids, Belen knew she had lost the battle for the cargo holds. She could only watch, grinding her teeth as the patiently grown robots tore each other apart, separating each others limbs into ordered piles. Later the ship would absorb them and mold them into armies of its own.

Embedded deep in the bridge, Belen twitched and grumbled. The debacle today had lost her centuries of effort. The ship now controlled a whole sixty four per cent of the spherical Home that housed and comprised them both. If Belen lost the life support deck, it would be the end.

A chime signaled that the ship wanted to speak. Belen ignored it. She knew the ritual of gloating, demands and weepy paranoia that would follow. The ship was long due for a reboot...

Posts: 96 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phillowe
Member # 8598

- posted      Profile for phillowe   Email phillowe         Edit/Delete Post 
You have instant tension here and I'd read further.
The last full line is great!

Initially I was confused by the stuff in the middle, but it seems I just need more sleep. I read it again and it made sense, as far as it can this early in the story. The only hang up I still had was the line "The ship now controlled a whole sixty four per cent..." I got it after a couple reads, but that could be just me. Maybe a little revision there.

I want to know what happens now; why she has a ship that could go insane, plugged into her centuries long project?

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

Great, thats a positive early reaction, thanks.

It will be a hard one to sell as the MC is not particularily human, nor mobile, and she controls things from the bridge via cables and radio, all things almost specifically designed to alienate. So it is understandable that you went a bit hunh? at the second paragraph as the first hints of her state are embedded there...

If you would like to read on to find the answers to your questions, let me know.

Thanks again,

D

Posts: 96 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dame, I enjoyed this. The hook, for me, was strong enough in the first sentence. I'll read the full if you like.

The main issue I had on the first read was with Belen twitched and grumbled. I find it hard to identify the issue though - whether I'm bothered by 'twitched', or whether it's being zoomed in to the small detail of Belen's physical expression after the scope of the preceding paragraph without really understanding yet who or what Belen is.

The other issue I had which was more on the second read, was the scope present in patiently grown robots and her centuries of effort. This makes me first wonder if (1) due to the preceding scope, the story that follows must take on a long duration and so make it harder to identify with the character 'at the moment', or (2) the story will occur in a relatively short period of time, but the jolt in time period will seem too artificial. My other concern is whether Belen is human at all, or perhaps just another artificial intelligence separate from the ship, and whether this should be withheld or declared up front.

Although not bothered by it, I did also wonder if the ship had a name - and if so, when it would be introduced.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phillowe
Member # 8598

- posted      Profile for phillowe   Email phillowe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'd give it a read for you!
Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brockbooher
Member # 8570

- posted      Profile for brockbooher   Email brockbooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the opening and would read more.

The line "...grinding her teeth as the patiently grown robots tore each other apart, separating each others limbs into ordered piles." seemed a little odd to me. What does "patiently" modify in this sentence? I would assume "tore" since it is an adverb, but the placement seems odd. Also I couldn't visualize robots tearing each others limbs off since after a moment the robots would have no limbs to do the tearing.

Other than I found it intriguing, and the conflict is clear quickly.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't "patiently" refer to how long it took to grow the robots? I can see why that would make whoever (Belen?) grew them frustrated.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

Yup, that was the idea. Don't know if it is too unclear.

D

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.