Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Addict

Author Topic: The Addict
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it theft? If you steal something and no-one knows, is that theft? What about if what you steal no-one believes in, or believes it could be stolen, or believes you could steal it?

Surely that’s not theft.

It was the argument that had kept away my demons for two centuries; it ran through my mind as my hand brushed against the waitress’s when she set my coffee on the diner’s table. A few days of her life flowed into me with a rush like a heroin fix.

“Thanks.” I smiled at her.

She looked a little dazed and swayed back and forth for a second, before smiling back.

“You're welcome. Anything else I can get you?”

Version 2:

Is it theft? If you steal something and no-one ever knows it's gone, is that theft? What about if no-one believes in what you steal or believes it could be stolen?

Surely that’s not theft. It's like Shrodinger's cat, isn't it?

It was the argument that had kept away my demons for two centuries; it ran through my mind as my hand brushed against the waitress’s when she set my coffee on the diner’s table. A few days of her life flowed into me with a rush like a heroin fix.

She looked a little dazed and swayed back and forth for a second, before smiling back.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited June 17, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is! *snicker* Okay, I'm hooked. My first impression is: vampire without the bite trying to rationalize a few days here and a few days there that don't really hurt the victim.

"What about if what you steal no-one believes in" took me several reads to understand. I think there are too many whats. Perhaps "What if you steal something no-one believes in..."

Making the wild assumption that the draft is ready and that you're looking for readers, I'll offer.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

No, unfortunately not ready. This was a version of a story I have written that I came across today--there were elements I quite liked, but wanted to see what others thought.

I agree about how many 'what ifs' there are...but I wanted a convoluted rationalising process as it identified the distance the 'vampire' was trying to place between himself and his act.

Still, there are probably better ways of doing it.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole
Member # 3549

- posted      Profile for Nicole   Email Nicole         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the second version. Nice opening, skadder. I'm intrigued by the idea.

I didn't mind all the whatifs since they're all about the same "thing". But you *could* limit them to the one (or two) you consider most intriguing and then jump straight to action. The action part of the first 13 was great, I saw it, I felt it.

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of the opening question. I find myself, instead of being intrigued, shouting in my head "yes, of course its theft!"

I think the premise could work for me, but worded differently, or after reading further along.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the rhetorcial questions. They really drew me in. I like the humor of the guy thanking the waitress, nice establishment of character.

Overall, I am very hooked, and I liked the second version much better. But the Schrodinger's cat reference didn't work for me the way it was presented. If you started with the guy asking, when does a theft actually occur? Is it when the object is taken or when the object is missed by the owner? If the owner never realizes the object was taken, did a theft really occur?

Arrgg that was terrible, but I hope you see what I mean. If you use the schrodinger's cat line, you need to present the justification as paradox, more in the lines of the original thought experiment.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jspies
Member # 8666

- posted      Profile for jspies           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd definitely read on. I love the character so far.

I like the second version better, but I agree with MAP that the Schrodinger's cat reference may be a little out of place. I think it makes me think; not because it's thought provoking, but because quantum mechanics are difficult to understand. Instead of thinking about the story, I'm thinking about whether the cat is both alive and dead or whether the reality of my observation forces it to be in one state or the other.

It's a great start. I already get conflict and importance of character right there.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHopper
Member # 8652

- posted      Profile for TheHopper   Email TheHopper         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice opening, but I'm wondering what the repercussions are from taking a few days of life from random strangers. Something like that would be impossible to detect by any human authority, religious or scientific, so that leaves the god's to punish him for his trespasses.

Unfortunately, punish him for what? A few days worth of life from a random stranger? Not exactly a lot at stake here, and I have a hard time imagining some higher power getting outraged at this man's ability, considering it seems like a higher power gave it to him.

I think I'll pass. It's a good hook, but seems more gimmicky than able to carry a real story.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
A nice opening... but for me it started when he brushed the waitresses hand. The questions got in the way. Perhaps a single question "Is it theft when no one could possibly tell something's stolen?" or something of that sort.

The concept is really interesting, along with the prospects of massive amounts of life force available to him. I'm wondering what he's using it all for.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
It's a good hook, but seems more gimmicky than able to carry a real story.

Interesting response.

I don't get your 'gimmicky' reply.

I have already written a story based on this 'talent', which in my mind is no more gimmicky than classic vampirism (as used in thousands of stories).

As to whether a story can be 'carried' beyond the 13 lines you see here, well, that's up to the the skill the writer--me, in this case.

Certainly you may think I can't, based on these 13 lines. I, on the other hand, have a larger view of what I am capable of and feel confident of my success to write a 'real' story from these humble beginings.

As to whether it will be publishable, that's up to the editors.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited June 17, 2009).]

Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Is it theft? If you steal something and no-one ever knows it's gone, is that theft? [I'd stop here and develop the train of thought later, if relevant.] What about if no-one believes in what you steal or believes it could be stolen?

Surely that’s not theft. It's like Schrodinger's cat, isn't it?

It was the argument that had kept away my demons for two centuries;[I might find his demons more interesting later, when I've seen more of him. Get me into the action. The age thing could maybe wait, too.] it ran through my mind as my hand brushed against the waitress’s when she set my coffee on the diner’s table. A few days of her life flowed into me with a rush like a heroin fix.

I think the suggested edits would make the intro feel more focused. Otherwise it reads fine. I particularly like the Schrodinger's cat line - clever moralizing.

Would probably read on for a while, but I'm close to saturation point with things vampiric, so I'd be more exigent just because of the subject matter.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
The first paragraph is a solid hook. The rest could be played with.

Is this a rewrite of an older piece that I have read or is it a new story with the same character? I hope so. I loved that life stealer dude.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I was never quite happy with the old story, so this just an attempt to refine (rewrite) it into something more publishable.

Adam

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.