Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Dark Muse

Author Topic: Dark Muse
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I sit and look at the computer screen, not blocked, but reticent--hesitant to put pen to paper.
I have the words, but not the will. The muse speaks to me, you see, but her words are poison. The price is steep.
I know where she lies; she floats beneath the ice of a distant lake. In my dreams, I rub away the snow. She sees me through the thin, fracturing ice. Her crystalline eyes narrow and her diamond-hard smile flashes needle-sharp teeth. She whispers words to me--a story beyond my imagination.
I reach for a cigarette with a shaking hand. If I write her tale, I’ll pay a heavy price.
In the dream, the cracking ice thrums and reverberates across the frozen lake, but I don’t move; I can't. Her words trap me, while her claws rake feverishly at the ice

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited June 20, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole
Member # 3549

- posted      Profile for Nicole   Email Nicole         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this earlier today and now is night and you still haven't had any feedback so, I figure I'd give you a bit of it.

But you're not going to like it.

I like your style, you conjure up scary images.

But based on your 13 lines I wouldn't read any further because Muses and Writers are a fairly covered theme. You do present it in a slightly original way -to me at least. But still I imagine the story is going to be all inside the writer's head and that's too static for me.

I don't know if this helps you. I'm very new at this so do let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if you wanted to know other things I didn't mention.

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited June 20, 2009).]

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I believe this theme has been done before. I am confused what the deal is with the frozen world. Is it winter or is all this in your MC's head?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It's actually a poem that I switched into prose. Thought I'd post it and see how it flew. I have no plans to write the story.

Personally I liked the poetic elements left in the prose, but wondered if it was purple.

I wrote a story about a writer a while ago--a good story--but it's a nightmare to sell, so I'd never do another.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
branteaton
Member # 7782

- posted      Profile for branteaton   Email branteaton         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding purple prose: the other end of the spectrum is flat, lifeless prose (I skew toward flat prose in my own writing). I think it is better to be more purple than flat . As long as you avoid adverbs in dialogue attribution, you'll be more interesting with a purple skew.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.