Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Akonian Nightmares (SF)

Author Topic: Akonian Nightmares (SF)
tofudragon7
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for tofudragon7           Edit/Delete Post 
A short piece I wrote in response to the thought question, "what would create the ultimate warrior culture?" If anyone wants to read the whole story (~2,500 wds) I'd be happy to oblige!

She was much younger, not yet an adult, and she was running
through a dark forest, darting under overgrown roots as the
swampy ground tugged at her bare feet. Behind her, the creature
followed, large as a house but slithering between the trees
lithely enough to move without making a sound. She did not dare
pause to look back, but she knew what was chasing her: a sinuous
neck that could extend faster than anything could run to escape
it, jaws that could tear a man in two, and many, many claws. She
knew it was only a matter of time, as nothing could outrun the
creature of nightmare in this mad jungle that was its home.
Snagging her foot on a slimy root, she tripped and fell,
tumbling down a short hill and into a muddy lake. It was a wide
lake, and the girl knew instinctively that the thing chasing her

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi and welcome.

I see that this is your first post and I recommend that you try and read some of the other threads here, as you will learn form them too.

Something weird seems to have happened to the formatting of you intro and it has come out as solid block of text--which is a little off putting.

I will open it out a little:

She was much younger (younger than who?), not yet an adult, and she was running through a dark forest, darting under overgrown roots as the swampy ground tugged at her bare feet.

This is a long sentence. First it comments on her (what is her name?) age, then it jumps to her running through the woods. I don't think you have combined them well or smoothly. Try and find the link between the two subjects so that the reader will link them. e.g.

Zelda(?) sprinted through the forest like a gazelle (cliche)--light on her feet and quick to turn. Her youthful legs carried her over fallen trees and under...

Your prose read a little like stage directions:

...and she was running.

Try:

She ran...

Behind her, the creature followed, large as a house but slithering between the trees lithely (adverb-kill)enough to move without making a sound.
She did not dare pause to look back, but she knew what was chasing her (Perhaps we could know its name if she knows): a sinuous neck that could extend faster than anything could run to escape it, jaws that could tear a man in two, and many, many claws.
She knew it was only a matter of time, as nothing could outrun the creature of nightmare (cliche) in this mad jungle that was its home.
Snagging her foot on a slimy root, she tripped and fell,
tumbling down a short hill and into a muddy lake. It was a wide
lake (Is its width relevant to this line or are you just trying to jam in description--also doesn't feel relevant to her after what you decribed above. I would have thought she hit the water and spin round to see if the creature was about to eat her. , and the girl knew instinctively (adverb--do you need it?) that the thing chasing her

You need to tell us her name if she knows it and the same for the creature. If she were being chase by a lion then you refer to it as a lion, wouldn't you?

I am uncertain as to how long you have been writing and so have no wish to overload you with an exhaustive crit.

Otherwise, your prose shows promise.

Adam

(Forgive my lack of editting of this post, but I am at work and can only spare a little time)

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 03, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 03, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHopper
Member # 8652

- posted      Profile for TheHopper   Email TheHopper         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your description of things is very irrelevant to the action at hand. This has the effect of slowing down the action and reducing panic, which I don't believe if your intention.

For example: "She was much younger, not yet an adult, and she was running through a dark forest, darting under overgrown roots--"

The fact that she is young is of little importance if she is running for her life. Also, if the forest is "dark", the reader sure doesn't feel it. After all, this girl is going full speed without nary a hindrance. You could re-write this with the description like so:

"Linda struggled to avoid branches and roots, sprinting as she was in panic. But her legs felt like stone and she could hardly see the forest in front--"

Probably not the best example, but I feel it get's my point across. Some things to note: In your prose, Linda is running through the forest with a monster chasing her. This is fine and dandy, but that's the problem. It shouldn't be fine and dandy. You need to challenge her outrunning of the monster succesffuly. For example, "But her legs felt like stone and she could hardly see the forest in front--", is a sentence that takes the previous predicament that Linda is in, and makes it worse. She's running for her life, but it is made clear that she can't keep running for ever.

You do something similiar with the girl tripping over a root. Unfortunately, that is really cliche. everybody trips over roots when they are running from a half-baked monster in the middle of the night in some godforsaken forest. So the effect is negligible.

Also, I assume there is a good reason why she is in this forest? People don't usually venture out away from civilization without good reason. Right, now, there's action to boot, so the need for a reason isn't pressing. But as soon as the action dies down, you can bet the reader is going to ask, "Why the hell did she even go into that forest in the first place?"

Keep it up then.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to hatrack!

I agree with Skadder's and Hopper assessments. A couple of observations...

It is too pronoun heavy. 11 she's and her's (and one 'the girl'). Names, names, names. We want a name.

This read as if it were a dream. If it is consider opening this story another way. Dream openings are cliche and several editors have stated they hate them. (not to mention a gob of hatrackers).

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tofudragon7
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for tofudragon7           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys! I've gotten some advice on this story already, but I love the community here, and I've gotta start giving advice on/contributing in other ways. You've been really helpful! Alas, I don't know how to end this story without it being a dream sequence: at the beginning, she wakes up from the dream, and at the end of the story returns to it, where the dream ends with her killing the creature and it is revealed to be a real memory from her childhood; I can't think of a better way to do it. But the rest of the changes definitely make it flow better.

Honestly, I have a feeling that most of what I write is pretentious trash. I really like this story, but I can't say why, and I guess I'm curious to see if other people like it at all.

EDIT: I don't know if this is any better, or even if I should post a new version here:

As Nara slept, the memories returned under the mantle of dream.
She recognized the forest from her childhood, and something
enormous was moving through the trees. The forest was large and
sinister, and the swampy ground tugged at her bare feet as she
ran onwards. Behind her, the creature followed, large as a house
but lithe enough to move without making a sound. She did not
dare pause to look back, as she knew the pursuer well: the
thruk'kush had a neck that could extend five meters forward in
an instant, jaws that could tear a man in two, and many, many
claws. Nara knew that it was only a matter of time, as nothing
could outrun this creature of nightmare in the mad jungle that
was its home.

Leaping over a large root, she hit the ground with her hands,

[This message has been edited by tofudragon7 (edited July 04, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by tofudragon7 (edited July 04, 2009).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having the weirdest moment...I read the first post and thought "perfect, great, where's the rest?" Then I was shocked to see all the problems people found with it. AND THEN, I was shocked to see that all the comments were valid points.

So-- I'm just going to say that, even though there ARE problems, they didn't stop me at all. Also, I totally disagree with you-- what you posted wasn't "pretentious trash," or even close to it. I was completely engaged and would read the whole thing. It was exciting!

BUT, but, but... Dream sequence?! Noooooo! It's just my own taste, but please, somehow, some way, you've got to chuck that part. I loved what you had, but I get unbelievable annoyed when good things turn out to be dreams. What's the point? It kills all the suspense you had going. You can come up with something better, I know you can.

Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to suggest that a story can start with a dream if what happens in the dream is important to the plot. The dream by itself doesn't work very well as a hook, as Betsy Hammer has said, because it is "just a dream," but the fact that the character has the dream and the dream tells the character important things can be a hook.

If you really have to start with a dream, tell the reader at the very beginning that this dream is important, and that the character having the dream knows that it's important and is paying attention because there is important information in the dream.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I get it now. I thought the entire story was going to be the dream, not just the opening. I can handle a dream "opening," so read my comments in that context. What I wanted you to "chuck" was the fact that the story was "all just a dream." My mistake.

Also...Very nice, Kathleen. I love that advice.

Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.