Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Gambler's Knife - Revisited

Author Topic: The Gambler's Knife - Revisited
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a similar intro a few week ago but the story I wrote and the opening didn't match so I'm taking another shot at it. As per some suggestions I've given a little more of the pertinent info in this opening.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

In the center of the table, within easy arm’s reach my salvation waited. The silver and obsidian hilt of the Dagger of Babylon sparkled and teased while the embedded rubies winked at me. I could’ve taken it by force but there were far too many evil thoughts buzzing around this unholiest of bars for me to be unnecessarily reckless. Especially when all I had to do was win this hand.
My cards lay face down in front of me in a neat stack. I had looked at them once but would not show weakness by looking again. The cards didn’t matter. If I could bluff my way into taking this pot I was golden. The demonic blood in my veins gave me the power to see the cards each player was holding. What it couldn’t tell me was what they were planning to do with them.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

- posted      Profile for Ben Trovato   Email Ben Trovato         Edit/Delete Post 
"In the center of the table, within easy arm’s reach my salvation waited."

This sentence is a good hook--salvation, within arm's reach--but it's in the passive voice, which defuses it a little. The description in the next sentence also defuses the sense of importance when looked at next to the "I could have taken it by force, but" in the next sentence. Maybe move the description down a little, or omit it if it's not really important that there are rubies in the Dagger of Babylon's hilt.
The only other snag I see is informing us point-blank, before we even know the narrator's name, that his demonic blood gives him sepecial card-cheating powers.

It's an interesting opening. I'd read the whole thing if you want to send it.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the opening and would read more. Two comments:
I find "unnecessarily" adds nothing to the sentence, and makes it feel awkward. Just remove it.
I am curious as to what difference it makes that he knows everyone's cards, but not their intentions. He just has to outbid everyone else. It will be interesting to see how you play it.
If you need a reader count me in.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ben and NoTime.

I will send it when it's ready. I'm still sort of in the middle of it. But hopefully soon.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this. Nothing like a high-stakes game of poker to get the juices flowing.
A couple of things. I would end the second sentence at 'teased'. I think it carries a little more weight that way.
I also think the 'If I could bluff my way...' sentence a little choppy, consider rewording.
Put me down for a read if you like.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
This open solves a major issue I had with the first third of the story, and you didn't lose any of the charm of this scene. Nice job.
Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Thanks allied. When I send the rewrite you'll see that a lot has changed. The opening and a little beyond remain mostly intact. And I kept a few elements of atmosphere and action later on but it is really a whole new story.

I'm working on the wrap up now and will send it to everyone who's offered to read as soon as it's ready.

I do appreciate everyone's help and comments.

monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget to send me the new version, too
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I hadn't forgotten monstewer. It's on its way. Thanks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.