Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fembot Anne (sci-fi) finished

Author Topic: Fembot Anne (sci-fi) finished
Architectus
Member # 8809

- posted      Profile for Architectus   Email Architectus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for feedback on the first 13 and the whole story if anyone cares to read it. (4,400 words)

The theme deals with if child-bots should be legal or not.

First 13:

John Burrow wouldn't build it; even though, it were legal. It damn well shouldn’t be. He needed the money, though. No, stop thinking like that, he thought. You can’t build it for him. He wiped a shaky hand through his greasy hair, a jitter caused from a lack of sleep.

He continued to repair a fembot for another client that lay on a workbench in his run-down shop. Then he glanced around at the fembots and fembot parts sitting on work benches that waited to be repaired, and he said, “I’m sorry, Sir, but you can get her built elsewhere.”

The thin man shook his head. “I don’t want those mass production companies building my Anne.” He adjusted his thick spectacles. “You put your heart and soul into them.”

[This message has been edited by Architectus (edited November 19, 2009).]

Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamatom
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for adamatom   Email adamatom         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued. Why would this particular child bot be illegal where as others obviously aren't, why doesn't he want to build one, and what does the thin man hope to gain from a bot?

You did a pretty good job of getting getting inside his head, especially considering space limits. I assume he will agonize more before finally agreeing to build it and I assume you will devote considerably more space to the debate in his head.

Not sure why the table needs to be white or what lack of sleep has to do with the character development.

I'd love to read it.

Carl
moreheadalumni @ yahoo.com

Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how it's always men building fembots, never the other way around... the sexual politics around this kind of subject are something to think carefully about. I suspect I know a few editors who wouldn't get past this opening from a writer they didn't know.

The conflict of the MC is well shown but there was a bit of confusion between the fembot he was working on and the "she" that he is referring to, which is actually a different one completely (presumably the child-bot, Anne, that the client wants constructed). Clarity there would be a big help.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the title.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architectus
Member # 8809

- posted      Profile for Architectus   Email Architectus         Edit/Delete Post 
Adama, good point about the "white." I guess I imagine the shop a certain way and it bled through into my writing, but the color is not important, so I removed it. I'll e-mail ya, and thanks.

techerna, true about the males building fembots. It would have been interesting to explore a female character building Anne. I actually prefer writing female characters. I've changed the sentence a bit to clarify who the fembot is he is working on. Thanks for that.

Robert, I'm glad you like the title, but that doesn't help me know if the first 13 worked for ya.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the title, too - it's why I read your posting.

I agree with tcher about the need for clarity - if you hadn't explained the theme, I would have thought it was just another fembot (this is also evident in Adamatom's first comment.

Not sure if "jitter" is the right word choice - doesn't feel right. Maybe habit, quirk, or twitch?

I'll read if you want to send it, mostly due to the concept.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice idea Arch. I don't have much issue with it, but I do have two thoughts:

This caught my attention during the initial read-

quote:
Before turning a screw, he glanced around at the fembots and fembot parts sitting on work benches that waited to be repaired, and he said, “I’m sorry, Sir, but you can get her built elsewhere.”

So he glanced around, then turned the screw, then spoke? The way it was written pulled me a bit out of the story thinking about that.

Could you clarify his actions a bit, maybe He snapped an eye into place, and glanced around at the other fembots and fembot parts sitting on work benches that waited to be repaired, then he said,

My other thought was after reading it in full and thinking about the scene. You gave us the motivation for the thin man wanting JB to build Anne.

quote:
“You put your heart and soul into them.”

But I wasn't clear on JB's motivation for not building Anne. Was it just because it was illegal? I would have liked a little more insight on his part.

Overall it looks like a good beginning.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to give the entire story a read. I have a couple WOTF crits at the head of the line though.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.