Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Insane Lament

Author Topic: The Insane Lament
imperialcancer
Member # 8696

- posted      Profile for imperialcancer           Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote this years ago. I am just trying to see if this has any value. Let me know what you think. When I wrote this I was kind of into writing weird things. One of my favorite writers of all time is Bill Nolan, who I think captures the kind of feeling where the hair stands slightly up on the back of your neck well. This was kind of an attempt to create a feel like his about 6 years ago. The story was originally inspired when I was sitting in a sound proof room while my wife practiced her singing. Let me know what you think. Are the first 13 enough? Let me know if you would like to read more. Thanks in advance!

There exists a room.
The walls are white and full of holes. The holes sink mere centimeters under the paint creating tiny caverns of deepness. Maybe nails made them or perhaps a few large pins driven into the plaster with a fist. Perhaps, the fingers of demented fairies punctured the plaster in hopes of building dwellings for their Micro-Hobbit lovers. That would explain the Buzzing. The walls are gentle to the touch like the softness of Mother's fleece jacket. No matter the amount of exerted force retaliation is tender like a pillow to the being. I have learned to like the walls...
The sounds float in and out of consciousness. The buzzing is incessant.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
It's definetly wierd. I take it you were inspired by the practice room. You're going for wierd so I'm not sure what to tell you. It's a little disorienting since I don't know if the speaker is currently in the room since we're only given that there exists a room. I would probably read on just a little longer just to see if I could make sense of what the story was about and then if there was nothing I could connect to I would put it down. By connect I mean like a character or a plot.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.