Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Elemental (science fantasy -- 1025 words)

Author Topic: Elemental (science fantasy -- 1025 words)
TaoArtGuy
Member # 8857

- posted      Profile for TaoArtGuy   Email TaoArtGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
Take two

"223,229...227,233...233,239..." It was no good. Jake Gardick was in a mental rut and nothing was breaking him out of it. He'd slipped on his iPod, scrolled up some Gustav Maler and walked aimlessly around the university campus reciting all of the sexy primes. The power trio of atonal music, exercise and mnemonic recall usually shoved his conscious mind far enough out of the way to help him come up with new solutions. Tonight...nothing. He needed a mental kick-start or he'd never finish his quantum device.
That's when he noticed the gypsy wagon. It sat there in the middle of the quad, the last of the day's sunlight adding a technicolor gleam to its bright paint job. A spry-looking horse harnessed to the front of the wagon turned to look at him for a

First try:
Jake walked slowly around the wooden wagon, admiring the elaborate carvings that covered it. He was certain it hadn't been there yesterday. He walked down this street every day after dinner. While those walks were a great time for mulling over his thornier research problems he certainly would have noticed a brightly colored wagon such as this one. Coming around again to the front he noticed a small sign advertising tarot readings. What the hey, he thought, should be good for a lark.
"Then you'd better come in, hadn't you?" said a soft voice that still sounded amazingly clear. There was a sharp click and the door to the wagon opened slightly. Warm, inviting light leaked out and Jake found himself halfway up the tiny set of stairs without even thinking about it. He opened the door fully but then

First draft. Also first posting of my own work to the forums. I am working on a bigger project but I've been away from writing for quite some time and wanted to shake out some of the cobwebs with a few short pieces first. I'd be happy to share the whole piece with any interested readers.

[This message has been edited by TaoArtGuy (edited December 16, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by TaoArtGuy (edited December 16, 2009).]

Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Jake walked slowly around the wooden wagon, admiring the elaborate carvings that covered it. He was certain it hadn't been there yesterday. He walked down this street every day after dinner. While those walks were a great time for mulling over his thornier research problems he certainly would have noticed a brightly colored wagon such as this one. Coming around again to the front he noticed a small sign advertising tarot readings. What the hey, he thought, should be good for a lark.
"Then you'd better come in, hadn't you?" said a soft voice that still sounded amazingly clear. There was a sharp click and the door to the wagon opened slightly. Warm, inviting light leaked out and Jake found himself halfway up the tiny set of stairs without even thinking about it. He opened the door fully but then

1. I noticed a fair few adverbs. I am not adverb averse, but there are too many here serve no real purpose. By that I mean, you could do without them.

-"Then you'd better come in, hadn't you?" said a soft voice that still sounded amazingly clear.

-"Then you'd better come in, hadn't you?" said a soft, clear voice.

2. While those walks were a great time for mulling over his thornier research problems he certainly would have noticed a brightly colored wagon such as this one.

This sentence feels a little false. You are obviously trying to include some information (...thornier research problems...), but it feels jammed in, and I would question whether it needs be there at all. Surely you could weave that in later.

3. The actual start is vaguely cliche. The classic '...went for a walk and discovered something odd...' is a cliche start. I think you have done a reasonable job covering this fact. The Turkey City Lexicon covers most cliches.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 15, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
If this is a flash story (which basically at 1000 words it is) all your words need to be doing at least single, if not double, duty. As skadder remarks, some of yours aren't doing anything at all. What you have posted here is 140 words - about 1/7 of the whole story - so there seems to be very little room left for a plot if you carry on in this vein.

You mention "thornier research problems" without telling us what he's researching - if it's going to be relevant, tell us, if it isn't, then drop that completely.

You say it's SF but so far it has a resolutely fantasy feel to it - there is nothing to ground us in any particular time or place other than the wooden wagon that appears to be parked in a generic "street".

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
The writing is clear and is was pulled in by it.

That said, I agree with tchern that I don't feel grounded in the story. When I read "wooden wagon" I assumed a medieval fantasy type world. When you mention "research problems" it forced me to reasses, but it's still not clear where/when this is happening.

Also, starting a SF story with a fortune teller is ... tricky. Something I've learned since coming to these forums is that the begining of your story is a promise to the reader. When you start a story about a man who goes to a fortune teller I expect a story about magic, maybe an attempt to avoid/stop her prediction from coming true, maybe a twist on that cliche. If your story is actually about aliens or something I'm going to feel cheated. Maybe skadder is right and you are starting the story at the wrong place?

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaoArtGuy
Member # 8857

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

I suspect the adverb overload is a side effect of my not writing enough. Have to work on that.

I now realize I have mislabeled the piece as SF. The thought that sparked it was me imagining a tarot deck that used cards depicting the elements from the periodic table. That core idea still makes it fantasy despite the scientific subjects they later apply it to. My bad.

I was about to start explaining the story more when I realized it would be better if I just rewrite it so it doesn't need the explaining. 8-)

Lots of good food for thought. Thanks again!

Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
An elemental tarot deck is a very cool idea.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really liking this second version. i love the "sexy primes" reference. Also loving the mathematics/science talk, and then POW! "That's when he noticed the gypsy wagon". I'm loving the description of the wagon, with the daylight adding a technicolor glow to the bright paint job. That was very nice and lets me meet you half-way with my imagination.

Now, I'm really curious about the fortune telling in a SF story, so my expectations are pretty high and I expect it to pay off.

If you're finished, I'll read it.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaoArtGuy
Member # 8857

tchernabyelo - The Periodic tarot idea just kind of jumped in my head and would not get out again. I'm a graphic artist so I might have to explore creating an actual version of this one day.

Thanks for the reading offer, Sunshine. It is finished and I have a copy off to you via email.

Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I'm sorry it took several days to get this back to you. I'm sending it to you now, and I thought it was a lot of fun to read.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm impressed. That is twice by you in one day. I like your style. I will be glad to look at this one also if you need.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaoArtGuy
Member # 8857

quote:
I'm impressed. That is twice by you in one day

I used to write promos for TV news. You have to work fast to meet the deadlines and keep that voracious beast fed. 8)

DaveBowen
Member # 8786

- posted      Profile for DaveBowen   Email DaveBowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Take two is very strong. I'm up for a read and crit if still needed.

Thanks,
Dave Bowen

Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.