Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Not sure what to call this yet

Author Topic: Not sure what to call this yet
imperialcancer
Member # 8696

- posted      Profile for imperialcancer           Edit/Delete Post 
This is all I have of this idea thus far. Let me know what you think. The ideas were kind of coming today. This is kind of a journal entry that would start off the chapter or what ever I end up doing with it. also so you know there are a few words that are missing since the first 13 doesn't allow me to post the whole thing.

…Begin Dred Log
I am addressed unofficially as Historicus among my people. I know more than anyone in my village about The Age of Beginnings. The 20th Century was heralded as The Age of Physics. The 21st century was rechristened The Age of Engineering while the 22nd Century was blossoming into The Age of Mechanical Transcendence. The 23rd century brought with it what many believed to be The Second Coming, humbling the calendar to it fetal stage at the year of 1. Today represents the beginning of the year 103 A.S.C. and the end of The Age of Edification. Today is the day I bow, a humble human, before the halos of perfection known as the Superiors. I clutch faith to my breast so that I may survive rechristening to tell the stories of humble Human and Superior during the transitional Age

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read on because your intro has an interesting question. After so many years of what sounds like technological progression, why is the narrator so cowed, awed, amazed by the Superiors? You mention transcending things so there appears to be some kind of evolutionary change (even if it is mechanical instead of natural). Why hasn't this been well recorded?

Your intro offers a promise, maybe even several promises, and I would read more.

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stutson
Member # 8884

- posted      Profile for stutson   Email stutson         Edit/Delete Post 
The flow doesn't feel quite right from the second sentence into the listing of the ages. Is the list all he knows? The list is surely a subset of that knowledge? No clue. Something needs to indicate that The Age of Beginnings is the summation of the others.

Took me out of the flow to figure out A.S.C.

Intriguing beginning. The last sentence is a good hook to read on.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but my eyes glaze over at the long list of ages. It feels to me more like an info dump than a hook. Have you considered you might be starting the story in the wrong place? In my experience, I've learned it's better to start with a character doing something -- action rather than introspection.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jennifer about the list of ages; it's like the biblical: Samuel son of Eli, and Eli the son Joshua and so on...and so on.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathaniel Merrin
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Nathaniel Merrin   Email Nathaniel Merrin         Edit/Delete Post 
A very intriguing conception!
Posts: 64 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.