Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Reboot

Author Topic: Reboot
Twiggy
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Twiggy   Email Twiggy         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first thirteen of a short story. I have written a little more but not much. I'd like to know what you think.

Five images projected onto a screen in front of Jed. He recognised the first three as pictures from his birth, childhood, and adolescence; the fourth reflected his current twenty-three year old face, and the last distorted likeness showed him aged way beyond his years.
A red suited technician jumped up from her station. “Mr Milton, you shouldn’t be sitting up. Don’t be alarmed. You’re in the reboot unit.” Jed gazed over the neural recording consoles and cloning capsules that looked exactly as he’d drawn them in his technical plans. “I can see what this is,” he said. “The problem is I haven’t built it yet.”
The woman flushed. “Yes you have Mr Milton, only you don’t remember.”

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Like it a lot. Just drop a comma after 'Yes' and I'll be happy.

Only nit is this. Shouldn't there be some guage checking by the technician at some point, or blinking light alerting her to his condition? I'm just rambling. Good story.

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this.

I think you could drop 'he recognised'. We are in his POV, so you can just say what the pictures are.

Also if he is sitting up and the screen is now in front of him then if he lies back down 'where he should be' then the screen would seem to be oddly placed (IMO).

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad, mostly clear and understandable. The idea is sound, I've read a couple of stories-novels with the idea this sounds like.

Personally, I think the red suit tech sentence is a little jarring. Maybe something along the lines of "he glanced over at a movement and saw the red..." I think it would flow better like that.

I would like something that states he doesn't know where he is before that.

And again personally I have a problem with the last sentence "only you don't remember". Stated that way sounds a bit clumsy to me. Of course I have used the same words because I couldn't think of a better way of saying it so there may not be.

And remember this all comes from someone who seems to have forgotten what I once knew about writing

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice start!
Nit - You may want to indicate the technician is a woman when you first mention her. It might just be me, but my image was jarred when you said "The woman", because I'd already pictured the tech as a man.
Like the idea - would read on.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twiggy
Member # 9209

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.
I am writing this now but work is really getting in the way at the moment.

I will be interested in readers when I finish my first draft.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to be on your list of readers.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this premise. Well done. A couple of small suggestions for you.

quote:
He recognised the first three as pictures from his birth,

How about...

The first three were pictures from his...

quote:
Jed gazed over the neural recording consoles and cloning capsules that looked exactly as he’d drawn them in his technical plans.

Jed gazed over the neural recording consoles and cloning capsules, identical to the schematics he'd drawn in his technical plans.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twiggy
Member # 9209

Thanks Snapper.
Once I've finished this draft I'll go back and incorporate those suggestions.

Jennywinnie
Member # 8510

- posted      Profile for Jennywinnie   Email Jennywinnie         Edit/Delete Post 
First this opening is intense and imaginative, but it's kind of jerky and hard to follow.

Five images projected onto a screen in front of Jed.

I feel like I need more information about where Jed is. What kind of screen is it? Is he at home? in the office? In the lab? What kind of lab? I know you go into it later but I feel like I want it when you mention 'screen'. If Jed is suppose to be disoriented, like he doesn't quite know where he is, then mention that, so that way as a reader we know it's OK to be disoriented. Or, I think we can just change sequences around a little to fix this. Also I don't think you need to mention the fourth picture because it sort of takes the shock and tension away from that fifth picture which I'm assuming is the big deal. I'd just find some other way to establish his rough age (or the age he thinks he is--maybe in something he says later on), it doesn't have to be now. This is a pretty action focused scene, it's got him surprised, shocked, etc. And it think highlighting that fifth picture better adds a lot to the tension.

Suggestion:

A red suited technician jumped up from her station. “Mr Milton, you shouldn’t be sitting up."

Five images projected onto a screen in front of him. Three were pictures he recognized in in various stages of his life; but the fifth was distorted, showing him aged well beyond his years.

Jed gazed over the [familiar] neural recording consoles and cloning capsules [and wondered if he was dreaming.]

"Don’t be alarmed. You’re in the reboot unit.”

“I can see what this is,” [he return grouchily.]

[How was this here? What the heck was going on?]

[something to show us his reaction would be good]

[He insisted,] “I haven’t built [this] yet.”

The woman flushed. “Yes you have Mr Milton, only you don’t remember.”

Ok so I know I totally changed things around. It's just my opinion. I have a tendency to use dialog to help into scenes like this. Cheers.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twiggy
Member # 9209

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all your suggestions and the offer of a read.

I've been a bit slack on this one but am back on it now. I promise to get it finished. Skadder is on my case about it so I better get going.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.