Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » One Day, Someday Soon (1300 words, First Draft)

Author Topic: One Day, Someday Soon (1300 words, First Draft)
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
This is supposed to be a bit humorous and perhaps a bit Terry Pratchett-esque. If anyone wants to read further, just let me know.

quote:
The sun streamed onto the deck and half-blinded Tina as she stepped through the doorway. “Have a little more respect!” She shouted and shook her fist high in the air above her head. Incorrigible, these new Gods. No respect for their elders. Young sunny boy up there had only been around for how long? A few billion years? He thought he was all that and a bag of potato chips just for being a great ball of burning gas. Oh suuuure, without him, there would be no life on Earth – but what was that compared to being the God of Procrastination. Now THAT was an important job. Tina took it very seriously. All her Godly reports and paperwork were handed in on schedule – even if they were at the last minute. She’d been here since the dawn of time. Not like young bright eyes up there.

ETA - Have actually added more to this story, so it is close on 1800 words. Not that that makes much of a difference!

[This message has been edited by Delli (edited September 13, 2010).]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool stuff.

I'll swap you. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

I'll just need your email address and we'll be set.

PB

[This message has been edited by PB&Jenny (edited September 13, 2010).]

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzknits
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for jazzknits   Email jazzknits         Edit/Delete Post 
It is funny. I love the God of Procrastination.

A few small things caught my attention. I have never liked elongating vowels "suuuure" because usually the tone of the piece conveys that just fine. I don't think it's necessary here. Same thing with capitalizing "THAT" for emphasis. I got the meaning and tone without needing the all caps.

One thing that confused me is how the God of Procrastination can predate the sun. Or people for that matter. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Or perhaps it's answered later.

It's an interesting concept. I'd like to read your story further if you want.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

PB&Jenny - Thanks for that, sounds like a great idea! I've sent you an email (subject: One Day, Someday Soon) and look forward to having a look at your story.

jazzknits - Cheers for the feedback I've never really liked elongated vowels and capitalization for emphasis either - but as this story is a little nonsensical and ridiculous, I thought perhaps I could break those rules. I may still change it after some more revision though.

I do address the issue of Procrastination predating the sun later on in the story but it may not be to your liking, not much of the story is logical I would be more than happy to send you the story. You can either send me an email (will add it to my profile now) so that I can reply or post your email address here.

[This message has been edited by Delli (edited September 13, 2010).]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzknits
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for jazzknits   Email jazzknits         Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to reading your story. My e-mail is jazzknits.writer at gmail.com.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

Great! I've just sent it to you.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I found it humorous even though I haven't read Terry, that Terry that is,

Actually there's not much I can say about it. It almost feels like there's too much info there. And I'm not quite sure about that first sentence, it feels like it doesn't fit with the rest of of it... its tone maybe.

That's about all I have.

I wouldn't mind reading it but that's because I think it sounds interesting, especially being so short, but I'm not sure if I could say much about it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

Thanks for the comments LDWriter2, I've sent it to you Hope thats ok.

I don't mind if you don't have any further comment on it besides you liked/didn't like the rest of it. Anything is a big help.

bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea that Procrastination is older than the sun. The tone is light and humorous without being forced. I also like the name Tina for Procrast"Tina"tion. However, while a jovial little opening, I don't get a sense of direction for the story. Tina, an old god, walks out into sunlight. Complains. And while enjoyable, I wish I had a sense of where it was going.

Maybe pushing back some of the comical self-description about paperwork till later could free up the opening for some sign of plot.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Got it Deli. Not sure when I will read it though, hopefully by Monday. Got something else to read and crit first and of course writing.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, not sure if I should place my comments here or via E-mail.

Nice overall story, entertaining. But something didn't feel right and I had to read it a second time to figure it out.

One thing the flow-pacing seemed off. I know very short story but that is how it felt.

The thoughts on the feminist movement seemed to come out of no where. Should be at least a separate paragraph if not something to trigger the thought.

And who was the short neighbor? Another god or a real human?

When the sun goes behind the small cloud, Tina shouts to let the poor thing go. Was that the cloud?

Some nice descriptions and you got the basics across-as I said it's a nice story. But parts seem almost disjointed and almost too long. Not sure what to cut and I'm not sure if that last part isn't my personal tastes showing through. But it wouldn't hurt to try to shorten a couple scenes.

officefan55
Member # 9263

- posted      Profile for officefan55           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of Sir Pterry, and I feel like this piece is definitely written with his flavor in mind. I also agree with what's already been said about capitalization and elongation of vowels, but I'd love to read the whole thing.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

I would be more than happy to send it to you officefan55 Let me know your email address or shoot me an email (it's on my profile) and I will send you a reply with the story attached. Cheers!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.