Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Panoptika (1359 words)

Author Topic: Panoptika (1359 words)
Antisuji
Member # 9268

- posted      Profile for Antisuji   Email Antisuji         Edit/Delete Post 
This is from a complete first draft I wrote on paper from 8/16 to 8/21 and transcribed with minimal editing about a week ago. Any feedback is welcome, and thanks in advance!

-----

It was a warm, rainy Tuesday night when Janine first told me about the cars. We
were sitting at a table in the corner of our usual neighborhood bar, two or
three beers to the wind, and I had my pad of paper out to write down everything
she said—it's a habit I picked up in college and have stuck with ever since.
The cars would drive around, she said, up and down the city streets and, with a
camera mounted on top, would take photographs of everything they pass by.
Panoptika, she called it. She'd just been transferred to the team that
maintains this odd project and she very excitedly went on and on about how the
thing works and what-all you could do with it.

As you know, I'm not much of a computer person. I got onto the email train
years after all of my friends and this whole internet-blog-social-networking
thing is

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, as an opening it didn't really hook me. There's nothing there to let me know what the story is about, what the conflict is. It sounded like a rough description of the Google street view vans.

The 'As you know...' in the second paragraph. I don't know do I? Or if I do, how do I?

[This message has been edited by pdblake (edited October 02, 2010).]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 

It was a warm, rainy Tuesday night when Janine first told me about the cars. We
were sitting at a table in the corner of our usual neighborhood bar, two or
three beers to the wind, and (This is a long sentence and this would be a natural place to break it) I had my pad of paper out to write down everything
she said—it's a habit I picked up in college and have stuck with ever since(So his habit is to write down everything she says or everything anyone says? This doesn't sound like habit, more of a compulsion--why does he write it down? Stories about writers are considered cliche, but I would have issues if a friend took notes about everything I said, I'd need a little more explanation than you give)
The cars would drive around, she said (We figure this as you told us in the previous sentence that she was telling us about the cars, so saying she said sounds a little redundant) up and down the city streets and, with a
camera mounted on top, would take photographs of everything they pass by.
Panoptika, she called it(Did she call it this or was it called this by others). She'd just been transferred to the team that
maintains this odd project and she very excitedly went on and on about how the
thing works and what-all you could do with it(I am not excited about it, so perhaps you should mention something that seemed to excite the girl about it).

As you know, I'm not much of a computer person( Is this a letter or something--I know nothing about you otherwise) I got onto the email train
years after all of my friends and this whole internet-blog-social-networking
thing is

I think the prose itself is quite nice--good word choice, some nice constructions. I think you err on the long-side of sentences. I am not engaged by the seemingly ordinary setting, seemingly ordinary meeting of friends, seemingly ordinary technology and the lack of any mystery or conflict.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited October 02, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited October 02, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reddog
Member # 9271

- posted      Profile for Reddog           Edit/Delete Post 
As a fellow Luddite, I related immediately to this character. The tone of calm reminiscence suggests to me that s/he has integrated an intense experience and is now prepared to narrate it. The tensions are there, but not exaggerated--between the rainy night and the safe, cozy bar; Janine's excitement, and the mc's suspicion of technology and its endless potential for abuse; the intimacy and trust of their conversation (she's letting the mc write it all down)and the creepy paranoia-inspiring Panoptikon. So I think a lot has been seeded here that could prove very interesting.

Red

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of Google Streetview, so it has all the potential for privacy controversy attending that. And it has the potential for accidentally capturing embarrassing incidents, like street crime, which is the subject of not a few TV episodes.

So it has potential, but there's no hint about this in the opening, or its intended purpose, which I guess to be artistic.

My first take on the paragraph following the first paragraph of the opening, was that you (the author) were back to explaining something to Hatrackers. In other words, it didn't seem connected to the opening at all.

I write down stuff on a pocket-sized notepad too! That notebook is my short-term memory. All the short-term memory that I possess, beyond about ten seconds, is in my shirt pocket.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yeah, but I bet you don't sit, pen poised, ready to record everything your friends say everytime you see them.

I have a portable note system (I'm too geeky for pen and paper) but I'd draw the line at minuting a meeting with a friend.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, minuting would be creepy unless she was the Golden Child or something. Mostly, I jot down story titles that occur to me in conversation. Takes 10 seconds. I start with titles and write a story to fit, rather than the reverse. My iPhone has a note app, but it gives people the impression I've gone off to do other stuff.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Evernote is my best friend...
Antisuji
Member # 9268

- posted      Profile for Antisuji   Email Antisuji         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks folks. This is good, lots of food for thought.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I see this approach as something many established writers do all the time - the early interjection of a preconceived familiarity. I think the technique is great for voice, but it also makes it more difficult to create a hook.

Elements I would suggest changing:

- "It was a warm, rainy Tuesday night..." - a bit cliche (maybe start with something the MC just did that was either unusual or mundane).
- "...of our usual neighborhood bar,..." - I would have thought he was a reporter getting a big scoop, except for that statement. I don't think he is, but it could be used if you wanted to explain some of his behavior. If so you should establish it very early and get rid of the delayed computer skills.
- "...two or three beers to the wind, and I had my pad of paper out to write down everything she said--it's a habit I picked up in college..." - this part made this sound as if this is what he always does while drinking. If he were a reporter, he might try to get the interviewer to drink to spill the beans (so to speak). Also, he would probably pick the habit up as a street interviewer or something, not in college.

I doubt the reporter angle was something you were going for, especially in light of the last paragraph, but it could explain some of his behavior. However, with it, you will still likely have problems establishing the hook. I liked the voice and depth of this.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting idea (depending on where you go with it), but the first 13 didn't hook me.
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.