Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fantasy - Mapmaker

Author Topic: Fantasy - Mapmaker
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my first draft of the first lines of a fantasy story I am working on about a mapmaker's apprentice. I need help in fleshing this out and I look forward to your comments. Thanks.

Though most people mistook one for the other, map-making was very different from map copying. Map-making was an adventurous undertaking requiring the cleverness of the greatest spies, the wiles of the best troubadours, master skills to cajole and piece together from words the shape of the earth and give them form on parchment. Map copying, on the other hand, was sheer drudgery, requiring only an eye for detail and a steady hand. Chase had thought that apprenticeship to Master Albion would be the surest way out of Bedlam but instead he had become indentured to dusty maps in a dingy and musty basement. His fingers were always stained black by the many colored sulfur inks and he was plagued by the constant smell of rotten eggs.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you have a fine beginning. Your map maker conceit is interesting, in fact almost Xanthian. The name Chase is almost tongue-in-cheek and I can think of some who will look down on this, but I enjoy these things. If there is one thing I question, it is a basement of parchments being dingy and musty. Dusty--sure. Dry, a must! But musty? That doesn't seem a good way to keep your parchments in order.

I would enjoy seeing more of this.

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea, but it's starting a little impersonal for me. Consider starting with the sentence about chase, then give us the details (and attitude) about map-making.

quote:
Chase had thought that apprenticeship to Master Albion would be the surest way out of Bedlam but instead he had become indentured to dusty maps in a dingy and musty basement. His fingers were always stained black by the many colored sulfur inks and he was plagued by the constant smell of rotten eggs.
Map-making was very different from map copying. Map-making was an adventurous undertaking requiring the cleverness of the greatest spies, the wiles of the best troubadours, master skills to cajole and piece together from words the shape of the earth and give them form on parchment. Map copying, on the other hand, required only an eye for detail and a steady hand, the sheer drudgery Chase was now trapped by.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I second NoTimeToThink's recommendation. That is a much hookier 13 lines.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your comments! I decided to put the advice given into practice and revised the opening lines. Hopefully it's an improvement

Bottles of sulfurous inks huddled on the far corner of Chase's desk as he sharpened his quill. He thought his apprenticeship to Master Albion would be the surest way out of Bedlam. Instead, he had become indentured to ink stained fingers and their constant smell of rotten eggs. Map-making was supposed to be an adventurous undertaking requiring the cleverness of the greatest spies, the wiles of the best troubadours, the master skills to cajole and piece together from words the shape of the earth and give them form on parchment. Map copying, on the other hand, was sheer drudgery, requiring only an eye for detail and a steady hand. As he put quill to parchment, the ink spilled out like blood from an open wound.

[This message has been edited by redux (edited October 04, 2010).]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
The revision is much better. It's always better to open with character and action, rather than exposition.

However, do bottles "huddle?" My first impression was of bottles that were literally moving together. In speculative fiction, they might. You never know.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like both of these versions, but I am leaning toward the second. I agree in the first it begins a little formal - I was going to recommend you opinionate the opening a little more, but what you've done is equally as effective.

I actually like the use of personification; however, I have found that many speculative readers often take these things very literally - I try to only use it when it can't be misunderstood.

It is interesting what Jennifer says about MC and action, because there has been an increasing occurrence of stories that use something else as an opening. Statistically, only about 20% of professionally published stories start with the MC's name within the first 7-8 words.

quote:
...the master skills to cajole and piece together from words the shape of the earth and give them form on parchment.

This was the only thing that tripped me up. I'm not sure if there is missing punctuation, but it is difficult for me to read and make sense of it. Otherwise, I very much enjoyed it - and your writing style would make me want to continue reading.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion on the best way to start a story is just that: my opinion. I would much rather jump into the action right away, rather than spend several sentences wading through what usually strikes me as background information. Those 20 percent that start with action and character are the ones I'm more likely to read all the way through; the others, not so much.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for clarification, I wasn't being critical of Jennifer's advice - just offering an alternative viewpoint.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.