Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Timely Birth

Author Topic: A Timely Birth
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Update. I've changed the premise a bit (cough). I've put a new opening as revision 2. If anyone wishes to read it (4500 words), let me know. Thanks.

*** Latest Revision (2) ****
March, 2021, Durham, NC

"Why should some MD worrying about his tee time deliver me from the womb when I could do it myself?"

"Because he knows what he's doing?" asked Dr. Freece, a formerly high-strung fellow I'd turned stoic. He was my doctoral advisor.

"I could do it...be Mom's midwife and deliver myself."

"Weird and dangerous," he said. "Just a stunt."

"Wuss," I said, smiling. "It would look so cool on my resume--assisted my own birth."

"And this would look cool on a gravestone--Here lies Janice Bender: Darwin Award Winner."

He had a point. Time travel wasn't for crybabies.

***Revision 1 (added names and such): ***

"It sounds really dangerous," said my doctoral advisor, Dr. Freece. "Your work has gotten lots of attention. Why piss it away to satisfy your curiosity? Do animal studies."

He was a wuss, but bright. I had to keep pushing him. "It would look so cool on my resume...Gave birth to myself."

"Here Lies Janice Bender: tried to give birth to herself would look cool on a gravestone, too."

He had a point. The quantum mechanics of time travel was easy. Keeping Mom's and my plasmas constantly swapping out in the temporal interstices would be tricky.

"If you survive, how would you know it worked?"

"A girl just knows stuff like that," I said. I'd need a biologist on the team for sure.

*** Original ****
"It sounds really dangerous," said my doctoral advisor. Your work has gotten lots of attention. Why piss it away to satisfy your curiosity? Do animal studies."

He was a wuss, but bright. I had to keep pushing him. "It would look so cool on my resume...Gave birth to myself."

"Tried to give birth to myself would look cool on a gravestone, too."

He had a point. The quantum mechanics of time travel was easy. Keeping Mom's and my plasmas constantly swapping out in the temporal interstices would be tricky.

"A girl just knows stuff like that," I said. I'd need a biologist on the team for sure.

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited October 12, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited October 22, 2010).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting premise. You may wish add some " to your second sentence.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the idea (actually, I'mm a sucker for time travel.)

It seems a little removed at the start - perhaps it's because the doctoral advisor doesn't have a name. Neither does your POV character. Consider having them use each other's names from the start.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued. Pretty bold beginning, IMHO. No beating about the bush or stage-setting. You just go for it. I like it. I'd definitely read on.
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that names would help, at least for the POV character. Very interesting. I'd keep reading.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool idea. I like it. Reminds me of my concept I posted a while back. I like the way you did it better.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds nifty, I like the hook. Would read on. Feel free to send a completed draft my way.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Thanks for the replies. I've made a revision, placed in the first post. It mostly corrects the defect of having no character names. (The MC's name is hidden in the fake effigy.)
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I agree this is a pretty cool idea.
I enjoyed the tit-for-tat re: the gravestone/resume.

I sort of didn't like her using the word 'wuss' and her answer to 'how would you know it worked' but its not enough to make me stop reading.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Osiris, thanks for your comments. My dictionary doesn't show that that word is loaded. It just means 'weak or ineffectual'. But it was just the built-in dictionary on a Macbook, so....

I meant the 'a girl just knows' bit as dry humor. Immediately after that is a clear admission that a biologist would be needed to answer the question.

Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm not offended by the word wuss. I just think she'd come up with something more witty I guess I should have explained.

I think the 'a girl just knows stuff like that,' would work for me better if you used a more descriptive dialog tag. One of those rare cases where I think something that shows she is being flippant or dry. It did occur to me that she might be being dryly funny, but I wasn't sure.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued by the premise, and I like the back-and-forth between Janice and Dr. Fleece.

I also would like to see Janice choose different ways to express "wuss" and "stuff like that" - maybe "lacked imagination" or "lacked a backbone" for "wuss" (depending on what exactly Janice finds weak and ineffectual about him)? And something along the lines of "A girl just knows," without the "stuff like that" tacked on, would work better for me.

I definitely got the dry humor in that line, by the way, when she followed it with the biologist comment. Very nice! And it tells the reader that Janice wants to look strong and in control, either because of her particular relationship with her advisor, or because she in general feels the need to look like she has all the answers, even when she (knows she) doesn't.

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm not worried about "wuss" because it is part of the voice of the narrator. It contains overtones of superiority, so is quite efficient in its message. Especially if the change by the end is a more humble person. Had it been third person, that would be a different story, but its not.

quote:
"Here Lies Janice Bender: tried to give birth to herself would look cool on a gravestone, too."

Neat way to get her name in. However, to work for me, it needs to be split into two sentences or else it feels like the message (i.e. "I've a point to make") is being lost somewhat. Something like
"Here Lies Janice Bender: tried to give birth to herself. Is that the gravestone you'd like?"

Nice job.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

***Revision (added names and such): ***

"It sounds really dangerous," said my doctoral advisor, Dr. Freece. "Your work has gotten lots of attention. Why piss it away to satisfy your curiosity? Do animal studies."

Not bad at all, except that it seems to be missing something. Something that makes it stronger- Could be just me.

For me "wuss" is okay, it gets the point across in just one word. After all he uses "pisses" which is along the same lines.

I think the "Mom's and my plasmas" line sounds funny. It's probably the correct way to say it and therefore you may not be able to find a better sounding way to say it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Creviston
Member # 9282

- posted      Profile for James Creviston   Email James Creviston         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed quite a bit. I think it will make a great read. As I read those first lines I immediately wanted to read more. Great hook and great story.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

I have a story, 4500 words, if anyone wants to read it.

Fair warning: I've changed the premise a bit. She's going back to deliver herself, as a midwife, rather than to give birth to herself. I was going for a character-oriented story, and the original premise would take some wild stretches of tech (which I haven't figured out, yet). May go back to the original premise someday soon for a separate story.

So, I hope any readers will base comments on the story I actually wrote, rather than the one pitched originally.

Thanks for all the comments.

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited October 21, 2010).]

WouldBe
Member # 5682

New revision added to first post. Looking for readers. Thanks.
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
You can send it to me if you're still looking for readers.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the new version much better. Very catchy.

I'd like to read, but am swamped at the moment. If you're still looking for readers when I crawl out of the water, count me in.

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Thanks, I've sent it out to all who asked. Grayson, let me know....
Amanda1199
Member # 9295

- posted      Profile for Amanda1199   Email Amanda1199         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic intro. You had me completely hooked.

I loved the quippy back and forth and your dialogue gave me a really good sense of your cheeky MC, as well as setting up intriguing conflict.

My only comment would be that this line -
"asked Dr. Freece, a formerly high-strung fellow I'd turned stoic. He was my doctoral advisor."
- made me stumble a little. I'd cut the description of him and leave that for later as it interrupts the flow of your beautifully crafted dialogue, which brought a HUGE smile to my face. Simply brilliant.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Thanks Amanda. Your check's in the mail.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi WouldBe. If you need eyes on your second draft I'd be happy to take a look if you don't need it back right away.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Ethereon,

I tried, but the email address in your profile bounced (550: mailbox unavailable)

I'll try again later. If the profile is not up-to-date, let me know...or send me an email.

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited October 28, 2010).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.