Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Envy and Ashes

Author Topic: Envy and Ashes
J. N. Khoury
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for J. N. Khoury   Email J. N. Khoury         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished this fantasy short story of 2600 words. I'm posting the first 13 lines, but would appreciate FB on the full thing (its really not very long) as its my first short piece and I have no idea whether its worth even sending to magazines. Thanks!

ENVY AND ASHES

He found her lying half-buried in chalk-white ash. She might have been a porcelain doll abandoned in a snow drift, the way the roses blossomed in her cheeks and her curls spread in a black tangle across the whiteness. Even in her dying moments, she was the most beautiful creature he could imagine.

“Mortimer,” she whispered. Her eyes rolled unsteadily until they found his face. They focused on his eyes like twin arrows fixed on their targets. Sharp eyes. Discerning eyes. Deadly eyes.

“Evienne.” He sank into the ashes beside her, his shoulders hunched beneath the weight of his weariness. Hugging his sword to his cheek, he turned red-rimmed eyes on the city below.

The fire had devoured everything. The city now choked on its

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 04, 2011).]

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure where this is going, but I would read further to find out. A dying woman and a burned out city are a good start - unless the story will now be a long flashback to tell us how it happened.
You paint a picture well, but I would consider shortening the time it takes to describe her eyes; try
quote:
“Mortimer,” she whispered. Her eyes rolled unsteadily until they focused on his. Sharp eyes. Discerning eyes. Deadly eyes.

Also - are his eyes red-rimmed from crying, or because of the smoke?

I'll be happy to read it if you want to send it to me.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

The first line is evocative and makes me want to read on. A couple of lines did give me pause:

quote:
the way the roses blossomed in her cheeks

I couldn't help but think of an actual rose bush growing out of her face. I know what you meant here, but maybe you could say something like 'a rose hue blossomed'.

quote:
Her eyes rolled unsteadily until they found his face

Kind of the same thing here... I pictured her eyeballs rolling around until they came to a stop on Mortimer's face. I think you can remedy this by replacing 'eyes rolled' with 'gaze shifted'. The word gaze takes away the emphasis from the physical body part and places it on the character herself.

Also:

quote:
Sharp eyes. Discerning eyes. Deadly eyes.

There are six instances of the word 'eyes' here, and it does get a bit repetitive. Perhaps it would sound better as 'sharp, discerning, deadly eyes.'

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spader
Member # 9355

- posted      Profile for Spader   Email Spader         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I really like the way you began this story, pretty interesting. The only thing that caught my eye was that I thought the line: "She might have been a porcelain doll abandoned in a snow drift, the way the roses blossomed in her cheeks and her curls spread in a black tangle across the whiteness." was a bit too long for my comfort. Easily fixable though, so yeah. Cool story
Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely set scene. I would read further.

However, I did stumble over the name "Mortimer".
Not a fantasy hero name for me--more a nerd/geek kick-sand-in-face name or an old short bald uncle with coke bottle glasses who smells of old cigars.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, but agree with Spader on the long sentence. Nice, but maybe a little flowery.

...the way the roses blossomed in her cheeks and her curls spread in a black tangle across the whiteness.

I think it's too vague. Too much like poetry. Just my two-cents.

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. N. Khoury
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for J. N. Khoury   Email J. N. Khoury         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading everyone's critiques I revised:

"He found her lying half-buried in chalk-white ash. She might have been a porcelain doll abandoned in a snow drift, by the rose blush of her cheeks and the spread of her black curls across the whiteness. Even in her dying moments, she was the most beautiful creature he could imagine.

“Mortimer,” she whispered. Her eyes rolled unsteadily until they found him, twin arrows fixed on their target. Her gaze was sharp. Discerning. Deadly.

“Evienne.” He sank into the ashes beside her, his shoulders hunched beneath the weight of his weariness. Hugging his sword to his cheek, he turned red-rimmed eyes on the city below.

The fire had devoured everything. The city now choked on its own tears of smoke and ash, which rose in plumes and billows into an"

[This message has been edited by J. N. Khoury (edited January 07, 2011).]

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your revision is a big improvement, well done.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. Nice work.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenner
Member # 9375

- posted      Profile for Zenner           Edit/Delete Post 
I like this - a good hook with some action and emotion at the beginning - but I really dislike the name Mortimer. That's just personal though.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a great start--evocative, good word choice, nice flow.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree - excellent beginning. I wouldn't change a word from your second version.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited January 13, 2011).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.