Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Pushing Buttons

Author Topic: Pushing Buttons
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something outside my comfort zone. Finished at around 600 words, accidentally deleted and now being rewritten from memory. Just wanted to know if anyone would read on. Thanks!

Simmelson Wit hated buttons. All that damnable pushing! It was the reason he had moved to X3J-MB642.701 in the first place. Back in X3J-MB64.699 there had been buttons everywhere; it was push if you wanted to use the com-sender, push if you wanted a breakfast implant, push if you needed to use the fecal extractor. Always push, push, push! Made him feel like a commoner, being forced to use his finger in such a trivial way. And Simmelson Wit was certainly no commoner. He was First Adjutant to Supreme Programmer Archibald, Minister of Viral Defense for this sector of the Central Nerve. But here he was, forefinger extended to perform the unthinkable. He caught himself at the last second. “Would you repeat those instructions, please?” he asked, blinking in astonishment.

[This message has been edited by andersonmcdonald (edited January 07, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by andersonmcdonald (edited January 07, 2011).]

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's great. I'd definitely read on.
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, great start. No complaints here.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The whole thing caught my attention. Nice work.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'd read on.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks gang! Your checks are in the mail.
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

LOL
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, fun, good style. Yep, I'd read on.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the overall idea. For readability, I would lose the X3J-MB642... designations, or at least shorten it to 3 or 4 characters.
Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Yep, I agree it was over the top - but intentionally over the top. The designations were supposed to be ridiculous. I might get rid of some numbers though. It does make you stumble when reading them. Thanks
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the designations were perfect for this story, FWIW. In a piece that took itself more seriously, they would be ponderous, but they were just right here.
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna take the middle road here, I think you'd be fine if you just dropped the .699 designation. I think the long and silly name is a great satire on how scientists name things.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

I love the MC's name. Reminds me of Simpleton Wits. Nice.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Thanks PB&Jenny! I modeled the MC after myself.
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

It's done! First draft anyway. 600 words somehow morphed into 1400 words. Anyway, I'm looking for readers to give me feedback. As I said, this is WAY out of my comfort zone, so I'm looking for plot holes. Of course, this isn't a serious piece, so I don't expect it to be technically accurate, just consistent. Thanks all!
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

I'd love to offer my services as a reader/giver of feedback, but I'll be indisposed this week. If you could send it to me anyway I'll get to it by Friday night.

[This message has been edited by PB&Jenny (edited January 10, 2011).]

andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

No problem PB&Jenny! No rush at all. Thanks!
melindabrasher
Member # 9373

- posted      Profile for melindabrasher           Edit/Delete Post 
Loved it. I would critique it all for you. melindabrasher4@yahoo.com
Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Why thank you melinda! I'll send it right out.
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look. I only have fifteen thousand things to do, but I could use a break, or at least another excuse for another break.

Ah, procrastination, the writer's Devil.

Send it, I need excuses.

W.

"But dear I can't do the dishes right now. I have to work on this important crit. for Anderson."

[This message has been edited by walexander (edited January 11, 2011).]

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

You might end up wishing you'd done the dishes instead. LOL. I'll send it right out. Thanks.
Zenner
Member # 9375

- posted      Profile for Zenner           Edit/Delete Post 
This concept seems really interesting. I laughed at "fecal extractor".

The names for the places - X223523.222, etc., are way too long in my opinion. You're clearly inside a person's head in third-limited POV - and I can't think of anyone that would think of such a long form. You might consider abbreviating it.

Also, the long title you gave for the character was a bit off-putting. I have no idea what any of that means, and it's too early yet for me to care.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Thanks Zenner. I'll do some more work on it after I get some crits back.
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an excellent hook. Had my attention from the beginning. My first thought was why would anyone hate buttons. I would love to read the whole thing.

I did have to read it three times before I noticed that the two place designations were different.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Thanks EVOC! Yeah, I might need to change the designations. I can send it out to you if you want.
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be glad to read it. Email it over to me.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I am available if you are still looking for readers.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Sure. Sending it right out. Thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.