Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Ashes of Yester - rewrite

Author Topic: The Ashes of Yester - rewrite
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted the first thirteen of this quite a while back. After one rejection I went back and made some changes. It is now around 7800 words. Hopefully it's better. I'm planning on sending it out again soon and wanted to know if anyone would like to take a look at it. Thanks!

They were heroes, every damn one of them - from Garl himself to the little dwarf Murki. But, as is the case in times of war and peace, heroes have a hard time living up to their reputations.
I knew them all - hell, I’d served with them for three bloody years in the south, so they should have been mere men to me. But they weren’t. They were heroes, just as if I were some stick-wielding peasant boy mimicking their greatest victories. I had seen too much to think of them any other way, seen too much of their blood spilled defending those too weak to defend themselves. But I feared them as well. I feared the fire in them.
In the winter before the last battle, days after King Agdalard secretly met King Lath at Reirmont, I rode down into

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arnen123
Member # 9428

- posted      Profile for Arnen123   Email Arnen123         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no professional but I'd be willing to take a look if you want to email me.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the voice. It sounds promising.

Gimme.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! It's on its way!

[This message has been edited by andersonmcdonald (edited March 02, 2011).]

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting! I'll read.
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Thanks! I sent it.
sfedders
Member # 9448

- posted      Profile for sfedders   Email sfedders         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great! I'd love to read it!
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Thank you, sfedders! I'll send it right out.
starsin
Member # 4081

- posted      Profile for starsin   Email starsin         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got me intrigued. I'll look it over if you want/need someone else.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tryndakai
Member # 9427

- posted      Profile for Tryndakai   Email Tryndakai         Edit/Delete Post 
You know you've done a good job when people don't even post comments--just "gimme!" Guess that answers the question of whether your first 13 lines hook, eh?

I *really* like the way you point out that working cheek-to-jowl with these men for years ought to have made them "mere men" to the MC, and the fact that it didn't makes their heroism all the more powerful . . . Fabulous.

And, since I've no "critiques" to deliver, either, I'd just like to stand in line to read the whole thing also . . . if you need/want any more. Otherwise, you'll just have to let me/us know when and where you get the thing published, so I can sate my curiosity . . .

(lol, yeah. I'm too full of myself to *not* blather on for a while about *something* before delivering my "gimme!" . . . )

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, reminds me of David Gemmel.

Let me know if you need another pair of eyes.

[This message has been edited by pdblake (edited March 14, 2011).]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

starsin, Tryndakai, pdblake,
Thanks for the offers. I'll send it out if you promise not to shoot me later for wasting all of your time!

andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

pdblake, send me your e-mail address and I'll send it out... if you still want it. Thanks!
starsin
Member # 4081

Shoot you for wasting my time?? As far as my limited literary experience goes, that was an amazing story. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Do please let all of us who have done likewise know when and where you plan to get it published at.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Thanks starsin. You're too kind. If you like this maybe you could take a look at the first chapters of Smoke From An Ancient Fire sometime. (You might change your mind about shooting me.)
starsin
Member # 4081

I'm always willing to read a good yarn. If I like it, I'll say so. If I think it needs work, I'll also say so. If you want, send it my way. I'll take a gander at it.
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

starsin,
No doubt about it - it needs work. I'll send it but you don't have to read it any time soon - or at all, for that matter. No problem either way.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.