Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » I have a question for the authors here

Author Topic: I have a question for the authors here
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a small class of high school students that I would like to engage in some quick critiquing. I'd rather not have them sign up here (there would be parent issues), but I think it would be a good exercise if they could critique some of these posts. Technically, these posts are open to the public and the illustrius Kathleen Dalton Woodbury said it was cool by her, but I need to ask on here too. Anybody have any objections? I'd be willing to summarize their thoughts and post on here for the stories I chose.

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess people may want to know which ones you are gonna use! But I don't see any problems, after all, as you say, anyone can read these...
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfedders
Member # 9448

- posted      Profile for sfedders   Email sfedders         Edit/Delete Post 
If you could post what they had to say that would be great!!
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking you could run into some ugly copyright issues.

But... why not have them write a story, even a group story, and crit that? they'd probably feel like they have more stake in it.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Reziac,

I believe the 13 line rule is so strictly enforced for the purpose of not having copyright issues?

Brett,
Maybe send them to one of the past contests... Lots of 13 liners on there.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyMaidaWadsworth
Member # 9430

- posted      Profile for AmyMaidaWadsworth   Email AmyMaidaWadsworth         Edit/Delete Post 
You could also pull out some old fiction magazines or something and have them critique those. Even though some of them may not have as many flaws as you'd like for teaching purposes, you can point out why somethings work and why some things don't. Though, as a fiction educator, I'm partial to having them write their own stories and set up critique groups in the classroom. It's time consuming, though.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyMaidaWadsworth
Member # 9430

- posted      Profile for AmyMaidaWadsworth   Email AmyMaidaWadsworth         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thought--does your high school have a lit magazine? If so, you could get old copies of it so they could critique work by their peers.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea, just make sure to record any insightful comments and post them so we can see.

Especially for YA novels. I think it could be really useful to have a group of intended readers tell us if the voice feels right, or if they would read further.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
You have my permission to share anything I have posted for your class. Everything I post on public forums is for the purpose of reaching the largest number of targeted people to be viewed.

If you are worried at all about copy rights, unsolicited permission, hurting a writers feelings...why not use something that has already been published? I have a few works that have been sold, so have others. That way any students who wish to read the 'complete' work can do so. You could also read it before hand to be certain it doesn't cross any decency line.

As an author, I am always interested on what others think of my work, even if the feedback is negative. I'm positive you will not find a shortage of hatrackers who feel the same way.

BTW, what age your students?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a terribly large selection on here but you are more than welcome to what there is. I would echo the request for feedback however, as such is nearly invaluable.
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, would appreciate more crits on my work. Anything I've posted on Hatrack you can use for your students just so I can read the feedback .
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I will volunteer anything I have posted as well - I welcome any feedback (negative or positive).
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great idea.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

- posted      Profile for starsin   Email starsin         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as my limited postings on here are concerned, I don't particularly care. Feel free to use what all I've put up here if you choose.

Basically...I agree with most everything that's been posted above...

Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, thanks all.

I teach high schoolers and forcing them to join this forum could possibly flood the forum with immature comments. The easy way through this would be to have them join the forum and have them actively participate. Some of my pupils would do well...others not so much. That was why I wanted to put me as a filter. These posts are small enough that they can handle it and I can repost mature comments as they come.

Using actually previously published work has more copyright issues than the forums. I don't think you really want someone on here who resents being forced to read or write anything.

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.