Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Flicker of Life

Author Topic: The Flicker of Life
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
The orbital elevator sped up once it cleared the planet's atmosphere.
It was a simple open affair, a sheet of metal perforated with larger holes and a blade-shaped climber above to cut through the air. The whole thing raced up the carbon tether at supersonic speeds to the geo-synchronous home ship above.
Vorker-6 swung his sensors to the combat walker of the prisoner. Her weapons systems were disabled; the other guard's walker stood to the prisoner's right, its targeting turret trained on her--ready to blow her into orbit should she twitch.
Below, the sun drifted beyond the planet's limb and a great shadow crawled across the northern continent. Tiny flares glittered in the darkness, like twinkling red gems, as the steady stream of atomics raining from The Seriquel above found their targets.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused.

I tend to be hooked the most by characters, (so this could just be personal preference) so I don't have anything to cling on to. The only character is Vorker-6, which I'm guessing is a robot of some kind. But then the combat walker is a her, so is that another character?

All in all, I'm confused.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
First three sentences. No problem. Getting ready, establishing, creating a great atmosphere (no pun intended.)

Fourth sentence. Huh?

I'm guessing a combat walker is a suit? The prisoner is on the elevator and Vorker-6 can see her because the elevator is open? Or is he in the elevator with her?

Vorker-6 is a guard, because you refer to the "other guard".
Now I have two guards and a prisoner in an elevator.

However, the guard has a walker, which means it's not a suit but some additional entity. Which means the prisoner has a walker and weapons systems - which could be one in the same.

The final paragraph. Good stuff. Very visual and sad. It could be my training watching movies, but whenever a planet is being rained down upon, I consider those doing the raining the aggressors. Even tho I know that's not necessarily the case here.

I'd keep reading:
75% because of the name of the poster.
25% because I feel drawn in by the 13.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the setting, but I'd like some character to relate to.
Some internalization perhaps.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks. This is a story I have been trying to start since 2007! It's a little problematic for various (undisclosed) reasons...
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffrey.hite
Member # 5278

- posted      Profile for jeffrey.hite   Email jeffrey.hite         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Skadder,
Unfortunately I am not really hooked here. I think it is because this feels more like an info dump than an opening, epically the first three sentences.

With paragraph two I really started to feel like I was getting into something, we get to learn something about the characters, why they are there and what they are doing. In short, I think you should start with the second paragraph, and keep going with that, maybe adding little details as they ride up. Maybe something like:
"Vorker-6 swung his sensors to the combat walker of the prisoner as the orbital elevator sped up."

Also we need to know a little more about how he feels in the third paragraph something like: "Vorker-6 felt great pride as Tiny flares glittered in the darkness, like twinkling red gems, as the steady stream of atomics raining from The Seriquel above found their targets." Now I have no idea if he felt anything at all but if he/she did then maybe adding that here would make me feel something for the character.

If you don't want to let us know how Voker-6 feels, or if he/she is incapable of feeling, maybe describing the reaction of the person in the combat walker, would help us to understand who is on which side at least. "Vorker-6 watched the prisoner deflate tears rolling down her cheeks as she watch the tiny flares glittering in the darkness, like twinkling red gems, as the steady stream of atomics raining from The Seriquel above found their targets."

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by jeffrey.hite (edited May 04, 2011).]

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks. I probably won't use this beginning.
Winters
Member # 9429

- posted      Profile for Winters   Email Winters         Edit/Delete Post 
Just fyi, Seroquel is the name of a medication. Just one letter difference.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I know. I am a nurse prescriber.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.