Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Blackout - First 13 and looking for crits

Author Topic: Blackout - First 13 and looking for crits
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first time trying a story in the first person, and started with something of a challenge. I'm looking for crits of the first 2873 words. I'm actually unsure as to whether or not this should be an intro scene to a book, the beginning of a short story, or a serial. It's fun, though.

Blackout is an urban fantasy story, rated PG-13 for violence and minor league swearing.
quote:

I snapped out of it that night with a pain in my jaw. Someone had punched me in the face. Again? Really? Usually I don’t come to until it’s all over. The man underneath me was clawing and scraping, desperately reaching for… oh ****, a gun? So much for trying to stop. My hands were bloody already. I hit him hard in the back of the head. It was oddly exhilarating. Like I said, I usually don’t wake up till after. Despite my history, violence is kind of a new thing for me. Blood splattered out beneath him. Something snapped. He screamed.
Why? Why can’t I just go out to a movie like a normal person? A normal person who goes right the hell home after he’s done. I hit him again—he was still moving. I’d like to be merciful, but chances were that he didn’t have much left anyway and I doubt if

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hooked. I'd be happy to read what you've got (and I promise to stop at the 2784th word).
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CGreen
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for CGreen   Email CGreen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, I'm not sure.

'snapped out' and 'usually i don't come to' and 'usually don't wake up' these seem to kind of repeat the issue. I'm thinking if you leave some of the thoughts out you might grab me a little more.

Such as start with the feeling of being punched in the face, maybe give us some confusing thoughts, and have him fight back.

Thing is - in this situation, I'm not sure if he would have these calm thoughts.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
My only quarrel with this is, at the very beginning I haven't the faintest idea what in the name of unconsciousness he's snapping out of. Other than that, very nice.

Send it on to me.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
if you're looking for readers, i'll take a look.
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.