Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Creator - WIP fantasy flash

Author Topic: Creator - WIP fantasy flash
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
This is almost all there is so far, and I think it's destiny is flash length (despite the slow start). All comments are appreciated.

1st thirteen (Version 2):

The little girl Sibbi came to me on a winter’s morning with a question tilting her pink lips. She held one of the ugly yellow spineflowers that thrive at this altitude.

“Da-Wensir, who made the flowers?” she asked, twisting the thorny thing between two fingers.

I nearly spoke the practiced lie, but Sibbi was my favorite. She had wild dark hair and eyes the color of glacial ice. Those eyes reminded me of a daughter whose name I have sealed from my memory. “Who do you think made them, little one?” I asked.

“The one whose back is the mountains?” she asked, her face hoping she was wrong.

1st thirteen (Version 1):

Of the living, only I saw our creation. I have worn many names, but these folk call me Wensir, because my eyes are dark with the engraving of years. I am not the creator, but I expect I will be called that long after I die, as will some of my brothers who died far from here.

The little girl Sibbi came on a winter’s morning with a question tilting her pink lips. She held one of the ugly yellow spineflowers that lives only at this altitude, and in dwindling numbers as they are being eaten by the climbing beasts that now crouch in the snowy crags.

“Da'Wensir, who made the flowers?” she asked, twisting the thorny thing between two fingers.

I nearly spoke the practiced lie, but Sibbi was my favorite.

[ July 23, 2012, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: alliedfive ]

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the tone of this (a lot) but I have a few issues with it.

The first 3 lines tells me too much, you could drip feed this sort of thing in the storu as it develops--it feels a little forced. I'd drop them.

...eyes are dark with the engraving of the years.

Sounds nice, but doesn't mean much to me as dark eyes means the opposite of blue eyes and I can't visualise 'engraving' on them.. If it was:

...face is ancient, engraved by the years.

That would work for me as as an ancient face is lined and crinkled.

I think I 'd prefer you started with 'The little girl...' although the explanation of why the flowers are dwindling (is that really required?) goes on to long (and, as, that...) and seems a little vague (climbing creatures) and purposeless.

Otherwise I like the style, the smoothness of the prose etc.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mayflower988
Member # 9858

- posted      Profile for mayflower988   Email mayflower988         Edit/Delete Post 
"Of the living, only I saw our creation."
Just curious, he says "our" creation, but how did he see his own creation? It just seems to me like only the creator would witness the creation. The created things/people would only become conscious at the moment they began to exist, which would be at the moment of or just after their creation. So that confused me a little.

"I am not the creator, but I expect I will be called that long after I die, as will some of my brothers who died far from here." Confusing, but intriguing. I guess the narrator is so old, people think he/she is the creator. Why would the brothers be called creator? Why did they die "far from here"?

"with a question tilting her pink lips." LOVE the phrasing.

"I nearly spoke the practiced lie, but Sibbi was my favorite." I had to read this sentence twice, but I like it now. I think I initially read it as "I neatly spoke", so that may be what messed me up. Just something to think about - if it confuses other people too, you may want to choose a different word.

But I think this is one of the best hooks I've read on here. Good job.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. I like the last paragrpahs the best, the first is telling and while it works it doesnt quite flow for me into the rest of the story. I would suggest considering starting with the child, and working the first paragrpah in later.

Good start though.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Start with the girl.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoBird
Member # 9883

- posted      Profile for JoBird   Email JoBird         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, I agree with Tiergan and rcmann. Drop the first paragraph. It just comes across, in my opinion, as pretension this early in your story. It would probably be easier to swallow later, after I've gotten to know the character a little better.

Also, I found this line:

quote:
She held one of the ugly yellow spineflowers that lives only at this altitude, and in dwindling numbers as they are being eaten by the climbing beasts that now crouch in the snowy crags.
...awkward. I'd suggest breaking it up into two sentences.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys. Version 2 is up.
Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I like it--the hook is strengthened with the last line.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mayflower988
Member # 9858

- posted      Profile for mayflower988   Email mayflower988         Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo. I wouldn't change a thing.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

Finished this little story up just now. Flash length, like I thought. 872 words, if anyone would like to read it.
skadder
Member # 6757

I'll give it a read.
mayflower988
Member # 9858

I would, please!
JoBird
Member # 9883

- posted      Profile for JoBird   Email JoBird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to read it.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.