Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Quarantine

Author Topic: Quarantine
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote this story as a Story-in-a-Day challenge, and I'd love to get some feedback on it. Comments on the first 13 would be great, but I'm also hoping to get some folks to read the full story. It's a hair over 5,000 words. I guess I'd call it sci-fi, sort of post-apocalyptic.

Dar ducked out the door of the Road's End Motel, just managing not to slam it behind him. No matter how much the refugee kids worked on his nerves, he tried not scare them by showing them the anger simmering under the confident mask he wore in their presence.

The late summer night was humid, but at least outdoors a breath of wind stirred the soup. Dar wrinkled his nose and rubbed his stubbled chin. The smell of corpses still hung in the air. No matter how many he buried, the kids still found more on their scouting rounds. It couldn't last forever. Soon there'd be nothing left to bury but bones, and he didn't think it would be worth the effort.

Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you consider, as a stronger hook, starting with:

The smell of corpses still hung in the air. No matter how many he buried, the kids still found more on their scouting rounds. It couldn't last forever. Soon there'd be nothing left to bury but bones, and he didn't think it would be worth the effort.

This is where you finally grabbed me. It would be better, in my humble opinion, to begin here.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

Thank you for your feedback, Dr. Bob.
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
i'll take a look if you're looking for readers. just email it whenever.
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

I've sent it your way, Denevius. Thanks for taking a look.
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem. I'll get it back to as pretty quick.
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

Thanks, Babooher, it should be in your inbox.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.