Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Momentum

Author Topic: Momentum
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments!

[ November 01, 2014, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Denevius ]

Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it had sold?
Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Revisions, per order of editor.
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
But on this opening, well, it's graphic enough I can taste the fish. Yuk!

Suggest deleting "the end" because there'd be two ends closing, right, and they're implied anyhow. And can a head be decapitated?

Might be more enticing to mention who's going to get beaten and tortured, feels a bit distant and abstract as it is and that person or persons would surely win the reader's sympathy, so, more engagement from the reader if they're at least hinted at?

The last two sentences are confusing to me. Which "he" is sweating and which not? A heater blazing beneath them? Sounds odd to me. That last sentence goes from warm to cold then back to warm. I'd suggest establishing first that it's a cold night, then that despite the cold, one at least is sweating from the warm heater.

Hope this helps
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

quote:
The last two sentences are confusing to me. Which "he" is sweating and which not?
I thought that might be the case. I'll work on clearing it up.

quote:
But on this opening, well, it's graphic enough I can taste the fish. Yuk!
Eating a fish head takes getting used to. It's equally delicate as gross.

Thanks for the quick reply! Definitely useful.

Denevius
Member # 9682

quote:
And can a head be decapitated?
Fish is usually served whole. You tear off the head and eat it once the body of the fish has been consumed.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Very vivid. I suggest breaking the last sentence up. As is, a lot of info in one sentence, tough to follow.

I like the juxtaposition of this dude thinking about torturing and murdering while sitting next to a detective. Instant tension.

I'm fine waiting to find out the whom and why about the torturing and killing.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

On the head, I perhaps should have said, according to the OED "to decapitate" is to "cut off the head of," so I don't think a head can be decapitated.

Perhaps you meant, "the decapitated kohada's head"?

Now that I think of it, maybe show Eugi decapitating the poor thing in a fashion that's more than a normal diner, somehow showing his bloodthirsty personality or foreshadowing the method for a future murder?

And yes, the cop is intriguing.

Hope this helps
Pat

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.