Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » It'z-a real book!

Author Topic: It'z-a real book!
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
My very first book--inspired by Boot Camp--hits shelves this week. And...technically...it's speculative fiction. After all, it asks the eternal "what if"?

What if Z decided to go first in the alphabet?

AlphaOops: The Day Z Went First is now live and in color! Ask for it at a bookstore near you! Ask for it...and then buy ten copies! Put it face-out on the table by the door! Post your 5-star review on Amazon! (Help a girl out!)

Also, check out the newly-launched official website: http://www.alphaoops.com
Play games. Read the cast list. Learn about the slightly twisted author. (Oh, wait...she's ME...)

It's chaos! It's pandemonium! It's AlphaOops!

(I'm a little excited.)

~Alethea

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read it and it's wonderful.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
What a gorgeous, funny, fantastic book!
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good! Congrats!

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna get this for my nephew. Are you doing any signings?
Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

Thank you, thank you!

I'm making quite a few appearances and doing quite a few signings...some are for AlphaOops and some are for the Elemental anthology. Either way, most are pretty close to home (TN).

You can always look for updates on my website: http://www.aletheakontis.com (they're listed under "2006 International Whirlwind Tour")

I'll post them here for your viewing convenience:

August 9, 4:00 pm
Davis-Kidd, Nashville TN
(AlphaOops)

August 11-13
ConGlomeration
Louisville, KY

September 1-4
Dragon*Con
Atlanta, GA

September 9, 11:00 am
Davis-Kidd, Memphis TN
(AlphaOops)

September 12, 10:00 am
Smyrna Public Library
400 Enon Springs Rd. West, Smyrna, TN
(AlphaOops - storytime)

September 28, 6:00 pm
Davis-Kidd, Nashville TN
(The Escapist Fiction Book Club features Elemental)

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks soooo cute!

As it happens, I even have a little boy who will shortly be in your target audience. Well, I don't nkow how shortly...I'd guess another 4 years in reality (what age would you pinpoint it?), but close enough and I will definitely support my fellow boot-camper!

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited July 30, 2006).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really cool. Congrats!
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
“Thousands of dollars for chemistry degree and what has Dad got to show for it? An alphabet book that doesn’t even go from A to Z!”
—Alethea’s Dad

I love this.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

I do love my parents.

They both actually took quite a bit of time coming up with quotes, and then each sent me three or four different ones to choose from. I'm going to have to post the rest on my blog - they're too precious not to have around.

It's reassuring to know that I come by my insanity and sense of humor honestly.

Hey, Mama Christine! The target age for AlphaOops is technically 4-8, but it's so colorful and makes such a great read-aloud that I would happily recommend it to parents of younger children. Bob Kolar did SUCH a fantastic job with the artwork...even *I* see something new every time I read the book. (Keep your eye on Mr. Acorn, and the clever little guy at the bottom.)

Thanks again to everyone!

~Alethea

Thieftess
Member # 1683

Ohmygosh, I just got in the Kirkus Review. I just have to gush...
I'm still beaming.

ALPHAOOPS!
The Day Z Went First

Author: Kontis, Alethea

Review Date: AUGUST 01, 2006
Publisher:Candlewick
Pages: 56
Price (hardback): $16.99
Publication Date: 9/1/2006 0:00:00
ISBN: 0-7636-2728-3
ISBN (hardback): 0-7636-2728-3
Category: CHILDREN'S
A hysterical take on what might happen if the letters of the alphabet mixed things up a bit. When A tries to start off the show, Z storms the stage with zebra, tired of always being last. So, the letters decide to try it differently. Z Y X W, all is going well until P jumps in, not wanting to be always in the middle. P O N, but then H staggers out, wanting to keep his same spot in the line-up. At that point, it becomes a free-for-all, and the giggles are sure to start. V takes his turn, but then tries to take another so he can say something else that starts with V. Z does not respond kindly to this nonsense: "Ooh, V is for violence." Without their usual order, the letters have trouble determining if all of them have had a turn, but find U in the nick of time: "U's been in the bathroom since P took over." A ends the show spectacularly and earns an apology from Z for his pushiness. Kolar's illustrations suit the zaniness of the text perfectly. Difficult as it is to imagine, the letters have facial expressions and personalities. A ruled line at the bottom of the spread helps readers keep track of the out-of-order letters. A must for preschool and elementary classrooms. (Picture book. 3-8)

pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
So wonderful! Congrats on that great review!
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

AND I just got my copy of RoF today...haven't read yet, but was excited anyway. So many congratulations!
Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it in the Barnes & Noble yesterday. Looks great!

I put a copy out where everyone could see it.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

I went to B & N today to buy your book, and--are you sitting down?--it was sold out. They've re-ordered, said for me to call back next week.
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Well done!
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

Sold out? Woohoo!!!!!!

BTW - you guys HAVE to check out my Amazon page. My father has gone on and posted a review now, next to my mother and grandmother.

I am so touched...

pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it's so perfect! I have a five-year-old and a three-year-old that will love this. And the illos are so cute.

Here's the link to the Amazon page guys: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0763627283/ref=sr_11_1/104-6143889-0516707?ie=UTF8

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LibbieMistretta
Member # 3496

- posted      Profile for LibbieMistretta   Email LibbieMistretta         Edit/Delete Post 
Just found the book - it is SO cute! Congratulations again. I am recommending it to a friend who just got her advance for her first two YA novels - her previous published works are board books for toddlers, so I'm sure she'll love AlphaOops!
Posts: 61 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

Thank you thank you!

(and big congrats to your friend!)

[This message has been edited by Thieftess (edited August 21, 2006).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds so cool. Gotta get one. Congrats!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
You wrote "Alphaoops..." WOW!

I haven't seen it yet, but I've read some rave reviews and it looks like one of the best children's books of the year. I think you've struck gold there, thieftess. Congratulations!!!

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Andrew!

I'm constantly bowled over by the reviews. OSC's threw me for a loop, and Booklist called it "An alphabet book with attitude" -- which is just COOL.

Sometimes it's so surreal it feels like somebody else's book.
Good thing somebody wrote one that's so fun to read out loud.

Next week I'm going to give a talk to a Brownie Troop about the process of the AlphaOops's production and all the stages it went through. They're getting their Writing Badge.

We SO didn't have a Writing Badge when *I* was in the Brownies.
If they had, I might have stayed in more than one year.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.