Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » I. Can't. Stop. Smiling...

Author Topic: I. Can't. Stop. Smiling...
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sold my debut novel, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, at auction to Ballantine. They bought hardback, trade paperback and audio rights (US & Canada). The book is based on a short story that began at OSCs Bootcamp...

Here's my deal blurb at PW:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6473673.html?industryid=47146

[This message has been edited by JamieFord (edited September 02, 2007).]

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Jamie, that is so exciting! My congratulations to you, and enjoy every second of it!

P.S. are you gonna do a book tour?

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Way to rip one out of the ballpark. Super congrats!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
That's brilliant Jamie, contratulations.

This is inspiration to all of us. I wish you all the luck in the world with it and future projects!

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

Please tell us the details.

[This message has been edited by Rick Norwood (edited September 02, 2007).]

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that print/publication is a lengthy process. Do you have an guesstimate of when your book will be out?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot damn! Good one
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go. I can't tell from the blurb---is it SF / fantasy or mainstream?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Go on and enjoy the moment. Hey, it's exciting for all of us.

[This message has been edited by DebbieKW (edited September 03, 2007).]

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

The release date isn't set yet, but we're probably looking at spring 2009. I was hoping for next fall, but publishing cycles take at least a year in most cases--a little longer in mine.

The book is commercial/literary. I didn't even really know when I queried it. (In fact, I queried it as historical fiction). It's a book with commercial hooks, but the moral territory is more literary--basically it's a mainstream book.

I love SF&F, I just don't write it well. When I attended OSC's Boot camp last year, I was that one mainstream writer among some amazing and dynamic spec-fiction writers. But everyone seemed to dig the story, so I turned it into a novel.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!!

I'll be looking for it.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
No need to apologize for it. We tend to gravitate to whatever we do well.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunter
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for Hunter   Email Hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez Louise, did I read that right? Six figure deal? Congratulations! You smile all you want. You got a lot to smile about.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are willing to share, I would really like to know how you went from unpublished to an offer from a major publisher. I assume you didn't just throw your novel over the transom. How did you get an agent, would be my first question.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

I'd be happy to share. You can kind of see the whole process sort of unfold on my blog, www.jamieford.com

Basically, after OSCs Bootcamp last year, I took my story to the Squaw Valley Writers Conferencee. I met with an editor and an agent that encouraged me to turn it into a novel. I researched it, wrote it and did a marginal edit--then started querying agents. (www.agentquery.com is a great resource).

I queried 50+ agents (in batches), had plenty of rejections, but also 16 requests for the full manuscript--and ultimately 5 offers of representation. I chose Kristin Nelson based on her personality, her sales record, and honestly...her blog. It was a great way to sort of get a feel for how she works. And she just "got" the book...

nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Incredible - wonderful! I bet with this uner your belt you'll now be spending 20 hours a day cranking out your next novel!
Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
What a dream! Keep us posted on the whole process, ok?

Have you had a big party yet? Swig some champagne from me.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome. A 6-figure deal is what all writers dream of but few ever see. I think my dream deal at this point remains a 4-figure deal. But I've been known to suffer from delusions of adequacy.

I think this just shows that it is possible. Just don't quit writing. Those who quit will never be published.

Congrats Jamie.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - Congratulations!!!!
Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely!!
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really inspirational. Six figure sums are what we all dream about (well, okay, there's seven figure sums, but they're reserved for the J. K. Rowlings :P)!

Seeing how many agents you sent it to has actually spurred me on to send my next ms to even more :P I probably would've given up after 20, which I thought would've been excessive. But it looks like the blitz approach really does work, and I've read of other successes who've done the same. Maybe that's what we should all do.

Congratulations, once again, and I hope you do a book tour somewhere near me, so I can pop in and say.

Adam
xxx

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.