Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » About time. ;) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: About time. ;)
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
A year shy of a half-century of writing (okay, minus 30 years becoming/being a physician, marrying, raising a child, etc.), my very first paid speculative fiction story appears today in GigaNotoSaurus.org.

And The Ends of The Earth For Thy Possession was a 2013 Writers of the Future Contest Finalist, the opening shared here among friends 08 January 2014: Hatrack Fragments and Feedback for Short Works

Go, admire and, if you like it, leave a nice comment.
If you don't like it...leave a nice comment.

And please friend/like my author's facebook page while you're at it. The link is in the author's bio at the end of the story or Robert B Finegold's Kvells and Kvetchings

Shoo. Go now, or I'll tell your mother. [Wink]

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of my Sheep
Member # 10362

- posted      Profile for Captain of my Sheep   Email Captain of my Sheep         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoohoo! Major congratulations, History! I downloaded the epub to read on my cellphone since I'm at work right now.

How does it feel? [Smile]

Posts: 93 | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great!!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it already elsewhere but Congrats and for those who don't know it is a good read.

So read it before I tell your mother.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
telflonmail
Member # 9501

- posted      Profile for telflonmail   Email telflonmail         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel Tov
Posts: 116 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

Thank you all very kindly.

How do I feel?
--Vindicated(someone thought well enough of this tale to pay for it)
--Nervous (will anyone see it and, if they do, read it? And, if they read it, like it?)
--Oddly both nostalgic and confused (The story is a few years old. (I had to re-read it and see if I still liked it.)

If you read it, please share your thoughts.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it, I thought it was a very good story . It's pretty similar to the stuff of yours I've read, but somewhat more streamlined in the prose. It felt shorter than 11000 words.

The introduction without explanation of so many Yiddish or Hebrew terms was a bit of a stumbling block; I'm not sure how this would have read without ready access to Google and I'm somewhat more familiar with the topical matter than most outsiders would be. The trick of a little translating appositive when introducing non-English terms might be worth trying -- I see you do use it in a few places. But there's more of a tolerance for unexplained jargon in speculative fiction than most other genres.

I was somewhat confused by the term "erev-rav" until I understood you were using it by analogy with the "mixed-multitudes" of Exodus, rather than to to the specific people so-named there. It seemed to me the Jews in the story were experiencing something more like exile under Nebuchadnezzar than the deliverance from Egypt, but that's nitpicking. I thought the idea of the roboticist as kind of a profane golem maker was interesting thematically.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

Hi Matt,

Thank you kindly for (yet again) reading one of my tales and offering some words here. Please consider leaving a brief positive, I hope, comment at GigaNotoSaurus.org to accompany the story (this would be much appreciated).

Whether Yiddish, Hebrew or French (as in this tale of mine), or in a completely invented alien language (as more gifted sf/f authors have done), I strive to either unobtrusively provide translations / explanations or (better) to make their meanings apparent through context. In nearly all cases these words can even be ignored as "color". In other words, otherwise inconsequential to the "play-by-play" of the narrative.

This type of story enhancement is tricky, especially with the number of words I choose to use. While most are a natural part of my ethnic vocabulary and "true" to these characters, deepening them and the story's world-building, I am cognizant that they may be "alien" to my (potential) Gentile readers.

What I refuse to do, however, is coddle the reader (disrespect his/her intelligence). Or intrude as a narrator.

I hope that most of these words will be either understood per the techniques noted above, or found as colorful but irrelevant. For those, like yourself (and myself, btw; I love learning new words), we can Google definitions.

Of the many ancient Jewish myths regarding the "Erev-Rav", the one I chose for this tale is explained forthright for the reader in-story:

The Rebbe sighed. “An erev-rav is the consequence of the mixed seed of Adam and Lilith.”

“Lilith was a demon, a female spirit of the sitra ahra…the other side, the realms of Darkness,” I said to Danel. “A succubus who purportedly stole the seed of men and the breath of infants. She was blamed for sudden infant death syndrome.”

The Rebbe nodded. “Just so. Silly, isn’t it, doctor?” To Danel, he said. “Like Lilith, the erev-rav are spirit thieves, vampyrs who revel in the spreading of the dark which is their abode. Nu? Nonsense.”

“There is no greater dark than that upon which we sail,” said Danel.

The term "erev-rav" has been used in Jewish writings for millennia to describe any/all opposed to G-d's Purpose for His people Israel (and for all humanity, ftm); that is, to live ethically per His Teachings. But for the purposes of this story, and derived from Kabbalistic sources, "erev-rav" are, simply, "demons". Whether they are also the potential alien "Deimons" I invent for the story is for the reader to ponder. I left this purposefully uncertain, reflecting how some people need a "scientific" explanation (such as the ship's Captain and crew) while others accept a "spiritual/faith-based" one.

Thank you again for your critique and comment. Email me and tell my what is new with you. I'd love to catch-up.

Respectfully,
Bob

[ July 02, 2015, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: History ]

AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Dr. B.

Isn't it amazing how much better the story is in print? [Wink]

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

Thank you. Andrew.
I'm not sure. I mean it looks nice. There are words and more words in neat black type, and clean white spaces between paragraphs, and stylish curlicue thing-a-ma-bob between story scenes.

I enjoyed downloading the epub file to my android cellphone reader app. That was cool. The app provides the illusion I am turning actual pages as I slide my finger across the screen.

Electronic media, however, seems less personal and cold compared to a physical printed book with paper pages. I'm looking forward to my first of these (July 15th).

I may have had only one reader so far--or one who thought well enough of it to leave a "Comment" http://giganotosaurus.org/. I'm hoping some one else will [I note that a relative who loves these kind of stories left a comment by mistake on the June author's comment section, instead of mine. Doh!]

Ah well.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

History
Member # 9213

A double header for me this month. In addition to my GNS appearance (above), I have a story entitled The Witch's Curse in the WOTF finalist and winning authors anthology 1st and Starlight,along with a number of our friends (including snapper). The cover art is also spectacular. [Smile]

I hope you will check us out.
http://www.amazon.com/1st-Starlight-Sky-McKinnon-ebook/dp/B011M75EBO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1436980456&sr=8-4&keywords=1st+%26+Starlight

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, me me!
I've got a story in that one, too!

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

Doh!
Of course you do. AND a wonderful flash story up at Every Day Fiction today! http://www.everydayfiction.com/final-message-by-dustin-adams/
Mazel tov!

Dr. Bob

History
Member # 9213

My story Lirazel's Heart, a rather sweet tale of an artificer who learns he cannot manipulate love, will appear in the small press anthology Robotica. The book release party will be at Can-Con in Ottawa on October 31st, and I've been invited to give a reading.

The book's cover was recently revealed (>blush<)
https://popseagullpublishing.wordpress.com/2015/09/07/its-finally-here-roboticas-cover-revealed/

I suspect my story may be the more sedate offering in the volume; but I am looking forward to reading everyone else's stories (perhaps under covers with a flashlight). [Smile]

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Dr Bob!

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Congratulations!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could make a brown paper book jacket like the ones people used to make for textbooks.

Congratulations and best wishes on lots of royalties.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
I never congratulated you, Dr. Bob?! I could have sworn that I had. I also liked your facebook page! =)

CONGRATS!!!

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

Thank you all for the kind words, your encouragement and support (some of you for many many years!), and for "Liking" my new author's Facebook page (thank you, thank you).

The upcoming Halloween day Robotica book release party (my first) will be a treat for me. I'll be sure to share about the experience.

But I have more good news. Shattered Vessels, the story I wrote in collaboration with the incomparable Ms Kary English has just been purchased by Mr. Mike Resnick for Galaxy's Edge Magazine.

This is my first professional sale. [Smile]

I am happy to have something that will appear in 2016.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Meredith
Member # 8368

Congratulations. Sounds like you're on a roll. [Big Grin]
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Big Grin] Glad to see things are going well for you.
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Good work, Dr. Bob! Way to go!

Keep writing (I know you will). [Smile]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, congrats and plaudits.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

As promised, a concise summary of my experience at Can-Con 2015 (Ottawa).
See photos at https://www.facebook.com/robertbfinegold/?ref=hl

A lot of firsts this past weekend at the Robotica book release:
--our first visit to Ottawa and Montreal;
--my first time as an invited speaker at a writing convention: "Ask a Doctor Anything for Your Writing" (I know. Perfect for me, right?);
--my first book release party with Elizabeth Mary Ann Hirst, Amy Sisson, and many other fine editors and writers;
--my first story reading;
--my first hand-holdable print version of a spec fic story of mine, and
--my first requests for autographs as an author.
Great Canadian hospitality.

And I am the lead story in the anthology! [Smile]
Which means it is what readers peruse when they open "Look Inside" on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1518712274?keywords=Robotica%20Finegold&qid=1446651226&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

History
Member # 9213

2015: A very good writing year for me.
5 story sales and/or appearances (a total of 48,400 words in print!) [Smile] :

(1) And The Ends of the Earth For Thy Possession -- Giganotosaurus.org [July] http://giganotosaurus.org/2015/07/01/and-the-ends-of-the-earth-for-thy-possession/;

(2) The Witch's Curse -- 1st & Starlight anthology [July] http://www.amazon.com/1st-Starlight-Sky-McKinnon-ebook/dp/B011M75EBO;

(3) Lirazel's Heart -- Robotica anthology [Oct] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1518712274?keywords=Robotica%20Finegold&qid=1446651226&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 ;

(4) A Madness Most Discreet -- Straeon 2 [forthcoming 2016];

(5) Shattered Vessels -- with co-author Kary English. Galaxy's Edge magazine [forthcoming 2016].

Also my first book release party, book-signing, convention panel participant, and story reading.

Upcoming? A few other stories are making the rounds, looking for a home. But 2016 will be novel.- focused. Updates to come.

My thanks to you all for your encouragement and support: friends, family, new friends -- editors and readers.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob
https://www.facebook.com/robertbfinegold/?ref=hl

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Way to go, Dr. Bob!

Keep it up!

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Time in the wilderness has its uses. Well done!

Phil.

History
Member # 9213

Thank you both. [Smile]
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Doc, great news [Wink]
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

Today's March 2016 issue of Galaxy's Edge Magazine (free to read MAR-APR 2016, but please buy/subscribe if you can, to support the magazine) http://www.galaxysedge.com/ contains Shattered Vessels, a story I wrote with with 2015 Jovian Award and WOTF Winning author and Hugo nominee (and truly wonderful person) Ms Kary English.

This Lurianic Kabbalah derived story of love, loss, and redemption (See? I can write a happy ending!) only spans Creation to the Olam Haba, i.e. the "World-to-Come". [Wink] And is under 4700 words (See? I can write short!).

This constitutes my 1st SFWA (Science Fiction Writers of America) professional sale. (>happy dance<)

Kary contacted me with the idea for the story while she attended last years WOTF Winners' Workshop and asked if I'd be interested in sharing my Yiddishkeit and fledgling writing skills. "Um...yeah!" I plotzed at the opportunity and had a great time writing with her. We hope you enjoy this short, narratively complex, but sweet little story.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

P.S. I cannot express what a thrill it is to share a TOC (Table of Contents) with WOTF winners like Kary English, Steve Pantazis, and legends like Mike Resnick, Robert Silverberg, Barry Malzberg, David Drake, Leigh Brackett(!), and author/recording artist Janis Ian, as well as other young rising stars. I'm...ferklempt. Need a moment. Talkst among yourselves. [Smile]

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Again, congrats Dr Bob! Just be sure you're nice to people on the way up, you may need them on the way down. Just a little reality check for the rising star. [Smile]

Really Jealous Phil

History
Member # 9213

Phil, while I am very thrilled to bring up even the very rear of this issue of Galaxy's Edge Magazine, I still feel like such a poser. I may have done much of the shlepping in writing this quirky piece, but I feel only Kary's name and reputable talent (and she is so gracious!) got this story through the door. I am wary of what readers and reviewers will think of this stylistic and strange tale. So I, remain, ever humbly yours,

Dr. Bob

P.S. I suppose this may not be the best time to mention I also received a story acceptance (no contract as yet) for the anthology Mysterion, a "speculative fiction anthology rediscovering the mysteries of the Christian faith". Surprise! Who'dah thunk? I could just plotz! [Wink]

That's it for now. Need to write more.

If anyone is interested, I try to post occasional "author" updates on my Facebook writer's page: https://www.facebook.com/robertbfinegold/

I am also trying to attend a few workshops and cons, now that I am semi-retiring from the doctor biz. I will be at Albacon (Albany, NY) this Fri-Sun; and I hope to go to Balitcon Memorial Day. I'd love to meet any Hatrackers who may be attending. It is great networking and meeting other new writers (and established, and establishing, ones). With one exception, I have found them all humble and kind.

I do not forget what a boost I get (and still do) from being a part of the Hatrack community. [Smile]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Congratulations, Dr. Bob. (Or should I say, "Mazel tov!"?)

I can't remember the last time I read so much Yiddish in a post, and it was fun to read. Thanks for expressing yourself this way. Makes it that much more personal.

Write on!

History
Member # 9213

quote:
Changed From under consideration - myths, legends, fairytales to Accepted

Note from Editor:
Your story is beautiful, and we would like to publish it.

After 20 submissions since 2011, my story Erev Tov [first shared at Hatrack: http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/writers/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=004212#000006 ] has been accepted (at pro-rates no less >smile< ) by the new market Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores. http://cosmicrootsandeldritchshores.com/

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Meredith
Member # 8368

Congratulations!
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Well done, Doctor Bob!

Phil.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Hooray! Persistence and perseverance pays off!
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done! Woot!
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

Congratulations! [Smile]
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Only a few weeks late (it's been a while since I visited Hatrack) and I've given you my congrats elsewhere, but congratulations.
Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

The 2016 ebook edition of the anthology 2nd & Starlight edited by our own axeminister has just been released with a (yeah!) print edition coming out in July. The anthology contains stories by WOTF winners and finalists (many being old Hatrackers as well): Dustin Adams, Rebecca Birch, Jennifer Campbell-Hicks, Frank Dutkiewicz, Nick T.Chan, Sean Monaghan, Julie Frost, Sky McKinnon, Rachelle Harp, and myself. [Smile]

Support your colleagues.
https://www.amazon.com/2nd-Starlight-Dustin-Adams-ebook/dp/B01GFWYIS6?ie=UTF8&keywords=2nd%20%26%20Starlight&qid=1464915210&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

[ June 07, 2016, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: History ]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard of the book but not that a paper version was coming out too. Since it only seems to be in Kindle I wasn't getting one but now I can wait

Are you in it?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Congratulations all, and best wishes for many purchases of the book.
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing it here, Dr. Bob!

My included story was written for a first-13 challenge here at Hatrack. It was also my first WotF finalist story.

And yes, LD, Dr. Bob is in it. =)

Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

I know a lot of those names. I shall have to buy this. *makes mental note!*
History
Member # 9213

Ah, so today is release day for Mysterion: Rediscovering the Mysteries of the Christian Faith. [Smile]
https://www.amazon.com/Mysterion-Rediscovering-Mysteries-Christian-Faith/dp/0997256508/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&qid&sr&linkCode=ll1&tag=backoftheenve-20&linkId=a0ee3a576b348b 3280819ad1b0eb5515

My 2nd Writers of the Future Contest Finalist story, Of Thine Impenetrable Spirit, appears in this pro-rate paying anthology.

(I know, what's a nice Jewish boy like me doing here? Spreading the Yiddishe "gospel" to the Nations? No. Some beliefs and human concerns transcend faith -- or, at least, religion.

Love, for one -- and what we would do, would risk, for it or because of it. My little tale poses this, considers the existence (and worth) of the soul) and asks the age-old question: "Because I can do something, should I?"

I'm pleased to see this, at last, in print.

[ September 01, 2016, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: History ]

Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

Congratulations. [Big Grin]
History
Member # 9213

My story Laila Tov (formerly Erev Tov) was published this morning at Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores

http://cosmicrootsandeldritchshores.com/

CRES is an on-line subscription magazine that pays pro rate but is not as yet a SFWA market.

This is one of my better loved stories, and yet had a long road to publication. First conceived and written in October 2010, it was finally accepted upon its 20th submission. It is my first story to be illustrated (3 illustrations)! The editor has also indicated potential interest in purchasing an author-read audio recording, which will be a first for me as well.

For more on the long journey to publication for this story (and a look at one of the illustrations), please see: https://www.facebook.com/robertbfinegold/posts/1416945278334845:0

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Congratulations, Dr. Bob. Keep up the good work!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.