Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Handling Other Belief Systems (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Handling Other Belief Systems
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This topic continues in Handling Other Belief Systems, Vol. II.

quote:
Here's something that is being dicussed in the philosophy and religion thread. How can we credibly handle other belief systems, ones that we don't agree with?

I wonder whether it is really possible. After all, what we believe defines what we think is and is not possible, so if we try to write from another belief system, don't we end up placing our characters in a milieu that is inconsitant with what they believe is possible? Or the alternative, writing into our story things that we don't believe are possible so that the character's beliefs are vindicated. Can we really do that well? Won't it sound like a fantasy?

In either case we will be either mocking or debunking the belief system that we are writing about unless we share it. I know that this sounds harsh, but I honestly don't see how it could be done.

And this is fairly relevant to my own case since I have an unusual and rather hideously complex belief system. Or at least that's what everyone else seems to feel.

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited March 23, 2000).]

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for jackonus   Email jackonus         Edit/Delete Post 
A hideously complex belief system? Wow! I think you should start a religion. After all, L. Ron Hubbard did. Maybe you can get those Hollywood types to join you.

At any rate, I believe that if a story needs it for narrative content, I could write lovingly about a belief system I do not share. It takes respect for the beliefs, however. So, if you think the practioners are idiots, then maybe you can't get there.

I, for one, don't much care for the missionary movement of America. However, I needed a character who is exactly that, and, more importantly, I needed him to be as believable and admirable as I could make him. I'm not saying I've succeeded where others couldn't. More like, if I can do it, anyone can.

The key is understanding an drespoect. Get over your abhorrence of human sacrifice and you can write about it without casting value judgements. That doesn't turn you into a savage, just gives you the perspective and distance you need to write about it without your own religious convictions coloring your prose.

Perhaps it's easier if one has few religious convictions, however. If your belief system tells you that every utterance is supposed to be joyous praise of God, you aren't going to be able to stop that without worrying about your soul, right?

Posts: 303 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Disrespect Shmishrespect.

How can you really respect someone for being wrong? I can respect courage, and compassion and a lot of other good qualities, but anyone who's beliefs I can't share I have to regard as being incorrect. Not that they are stupid or foolish, necessarily, but they are wrong, otherwise, I would believe as they do.

If you don't know that someone else is wrong, then you probably hold both belief and doubt in abbeyance, but this would mean that you would not disagree with them. I didn't have any firm opinion on the fate of the Anasazi until recently, and I nodded and accepted what was claimed about them by other, more educated people. But now that I have formed a different opinion, I regard those that hold the general position as being mistaken and naive.

If you had no opinion about another person's belief, then the natural thing would be to defer to him as more expert than yourself in the matter. But if you cannot defer in real life, where you know that the other person has experiences you don't know about, how much better will you be able to do when it is a person that you are making up?

I can write about people with different beliefs than my own, but I always frankly portray that as a limitation. The truth as I see it is that if they were wiser, they would agree with me.

And I don't think that it is enough to avoid coloring your prose. After all, many a work that espoused radically new beliefs or attacked old quite openly was written in very dull prose indeed. I don't mean that you would be unable to resist heaping obvious vituperation on the things you disagree with, but more that, you will most certainly portray them as being incorrect when you talk about them.

I just think that in any case that you would be able to give a particular belief a fair shake in a novel, you probably could give it a fair shake in real life. After all, if you don't really think that it is mistaken, and others that you putatively respect believe it, why would you disagree?

And if you genuinely think that it is mistaken, then how could you give it a fair treatment?

Unless, of course, you simply figure that anyone that holds that belief is just too stupid to notice that you disagree with them.

jackonus
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for jackonus   Email jackonus         Edit/Delete Post 
I can despise tripe (the foodstuff) but I can understand what someone means if they say that menudo (the foodstuff again) is their favorite dish. I do this by extending my knowledge of what it means to have a favorite dish. While I may be repelled by their selection, I can understand the gusto with which they seek it out.

Why would any other idea, even less tied to our subsistence than the gustatory sensations, present greater difficulties.

I get chills up and down my spine when I think about certain mysteries of my faith. These stories humble me and leave me awestruck. Having that experience helps me to understand the feeling others might experience as a result of their own beliefs, whether I share them or not. If I understand religious fervor in myself, can I not understand it in others regardless of their beliefs.

What I suppose you are saying, though, is that I can't possibly hope to convince a reader of the validity of those viewpoints I don't share. I wonder. If I'm a good enough author to bring tears to your eyes with the story of my dog's death, why can't I build on that same empathy and shared experience to convey to you how my characters feel. I'm not saying I'm good enough to do that, yet, but I should be able to do a good enough job that I can paint a character sympathetically even if I disagree with the viewpoints he/she espouses.

And why not? I don't have to write to the level where I try to convert people to a viewpoint I don't hold. I merely have to write to the level where you believe the character.

I submit that if I can't do that, then all my characters are going to be limited in their capabilities. Only when they speak my viewpoints will they be fully developed and worthy of the readers' time and attention.

Or, so I think. My bet is we all have the ability to talk respectfully, and with depth, about beliefs we don't share. Just so long as we take the time to understand them.

One big f'rinstance. I can't abide fatalism. I believe there's no such thing as fate and that we make our own path in life (with lots of help/interference/limits and opportunities). The idea of a supreme being directing it all, however, I find absolutely abhorrent and I will never swallow it. I have very dear friends who believe with all their hearts that God directs everything in their lives. At one time, I thought these people were stupid, dull, and just plain not worth my time. I later decided that I was less certain of what the truth of the ultimate questions was and that it wasn't me who decided the answers to those questions. In other words, I became less critical of people who hold beliefs I still find to be silly and wrongheaded. BUT, I can understand them. I see why they think the way they do and how it would lead to a set of logical ideas about how to live a life. And, I learned to respect them because they lead good lives.

Just because they relish the chance to ingest menudo doesn't mean I can't drink their wine and laugh.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

So what you're saying is that although there are things that you disagree with, it's more of a matter of not sharing their belief, rather than one where you really can reject what they believe?

I guess that I can buy that. If you are talking about something where you are an outsider rather than a skeptic, that means that you will be better able to look at their beliefs without prejudice.

I have to agree with you. There are a lot of things that fall into that middle ground, where we may not have reason to share a belief, but we don't actually disbelieve. That's a viewpoint that can be most effective in showing the positive aspects of a particular belief, without relying on experiences and knowledge only shared by those who already believe.

So I guess that you can show people with beliefs that differ from your own in a light that doesn't denigrate their belief. Unfortunately, that rarely works for me. As I've gotten older I've discovered that I've always known a heck of a lot more than most other people. It tends to make me a bit insufferable. But hey, such is life. For me, at any rate.

I'd be interested in seeing some of your portrayals, to get a feel for how this works. It is encountered in literature from time to time, but not often enough.

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Survivor. I realize that I'm the new kid here, but I honestly have to say that yes, you are insufferable, and a little arrogant. I must ask what exactly it is you are writing!

If its fiction than change it - it's your world, don't write about it if it's going to be that painful for you! However, if you keep with the beliefs of Buddhist monks - who so disagree with hurting any living thing that they even wear bells on their shoes to warn away the ants as they walk - then how are you ever going to have any villian or conflict in the stories that you write. And therefore, how will you design a plot? If you can work around those questions, then you've got it made.

If it's non fiction, and you are writing about someone who has performed certain actions or holds to certain beliefs that you find abhorrent, then that is none of your decision. You are here to present the truth about that person, regardless of their tenets or your belief systen. It has no bearing on anything whether or not you are right or they are wrong. It is your resposibility as an author, just as if you were a journalist reporting the news, to report the same honestly, fairly, and accurately. I'm sure that Dan Rather does not espouse premeditated murder, and yet how often does he bring the tidings of such to us without judgement and without trying to convince us how wrong it is. He simply, as you should learn to do, states what is actual and relies on us to make our own moral judgements, and decide how we feel about it.

If you do not wish to promote anything that stands against your own belief system, then you are always going to be limited in what you author. My suggestion is that you stop worrying about going to hell, learn a little humility and remember that you are here to tell a story of one kind or another.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Oh, I thought that I mentioned that at some point. I'm talking about fictional portrayals, of course.

We do tend to run into the same problem with journalism. After all, you are positive that Dan Rather is opposed to murder, and yet you claim that he is giving the murderer a fair shake.

I can say that I think that Dan Rather is only opposed to homicide, and he doesn't even know what murder is, and there are times that I've heard him give a less than unslanted account.

That illustrates what I am saying. When we portray someone we disagree with, it tends to show.

I'm not yet trying to eliminate that tendency from my writing. If I don't agree with a particular point of view, those of my characters that subscribe to such a point of view will be shown up.

Example: I might write a story in which one of the characters is an archeologist working on the Anasazi ruins. If I have him espose the theory that the Anasazi just left all of the sudden, because of water shortage or overpopulation, then I will not be able to portray him as having gotten that idea from an unbiased study of the ruins. I may show how he thinks that because of his professors or in emulation of some other authority, or because he finds the idea that there was a genocide carried out by their enemies harsh; but I will not portray him as finding it out from the ruins, because I would have to make up evidence that I happen to know doesn't exist. The evidence all points in one direction to me, and if I write a story in which the evidence remains the same as it is in reality, then the evidence in the story will tend to disprove what he believes.

In portraying this character, I will have to:

• portray a character with beliefs contrary to fact
  • change the facts to comply with his beliefs
  • change his beliefs to comply with the facts
  • or
  • leave out facts and beliefs that may contradict each other.

Jack Onus has taken on the burden of trying to do something else. I'm not sure what because I haven't seen it. But until I see the proof, the question stands.

How do you portray a character who's beliefs you disagree with without either showing them as wrong, trying to write evidence that you don't believe into the story, or leaving out the parts of their beliefs that you disagree with?

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
ah-hah. I think I understand your position a little better and it makes much more sense to me now. I think, though, that your quandry is not something I would necessarily be bothered by. I always tend to assume that fiction is just that - fiction, non truth and there-by, being a bit Bohemian in nature myself, I can uaually ignore the need for point by point exactitude.
However, I also think that your opinions and beliefs are what make your writings unique and worthwhile. (Perhaps, if in writing about the Anasazi, your archeologist discovers something that he disagrees with, it could add quite a turn to the plot.) I don't think that, as an author, you can or should get too far away from your own personality. Doing so is almost certain to add an air of conflict to your style, and would never quite (in my opinion, of course) ring true.
I have to admit that I am terribly curious about your "hideously complex" belief system. I'm not quite sure it's kosher to ask, but I'd love to know exactly what that entails.
A few years ago I decided to research, in extreme depth, the 'police action' in Viet Nam. My object was to be able to treat with fairness and objectivity in writing a subject that I can never bring myself to agree with. I wish I hadn't. I learned quite a lot that I never wanted to know, and wish I still didn't. But as much as I hated every facet of that war, there are so many personal tales of good men, bad men and those ranging in ever aspect between that are valuable. Each, in it's own right, deserves not to be lost, as horrible as the setting may be, the story itself is well worth the telling.
(Sorry if I ramble - its early here!) I guess my real point is that you have to make a value decision based on what you are and aren't willing to write. If you have a tale worth the telling, is it worth the work to find a way to do so?

Survivor
Member # 213

We're having a duscussion about beliefs in the other forum,(2) Books, Films, Food and American Culture: What do you believe, anyway? You could join in if you like. The discussion could use some invigorating. Or something.

I don't think of my beliefs as hidiously complex, but then, lots of other people do. I'm not sure why. Probably more because I'm a "TRUE BELIEVER", in that I really believe things.

But then, that's more the venue I have chosen for that discussion.

P.S. Have you read my posts on Character and Viewpoint?

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

I will definitely look into the other forum. Thanks for the invite.
Yes, I did read the post in character. I thought I would die laghing! (Of course that may be because I am a transplant to UT and live about three miles from Alpine. I understand!!!) The contrast was great.
So tell me, have any new thoughts on this subject?

Survivor
Member # 213

My brother wrote that. He has a real comic wit that sort of seeps out all the time. He also sent an email about icecream, that would probably be funny, but that one didnt' have the interesting dicotomy of views. I is interesting how he does that, talking about the exact same events with different viewpoints.

I think that most of us tend to only remember one version of events, at least consciously, and make that 'our version' of what happened. As a writer, you need to created distinct viewpoints to narrate a scene, and so I guess that we get used to looking at different possible interpretations in fiction.

But this actually happened to him, although the guy's name was not Mr. X. That was that guy on X-files who got killed. I'm going to post that other letter under perfect gentleman's topic in the other forum.

Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, that comment on dicotomy of viewpoints actually does sort of belong in this discussion.

I think that each of us has beliefs at several levels, like how my brother undeniably knew that he was being treated in a manner that showed little respect or consideration(one thing that he doesn't mention is that being over an hour late cost him like ten or twenty dollers, besides missing out on the morning), but he also believed that it wasn't really such a grave thing that he needed to get bent out of shape over it. In one letter he communicates one idea, and in the next he shows us the other. I think that he liked the juxtaposition a lot. I know that I did.

But this is still in the nature of portraying something within his beliefs(actually, since he is the main character, I guess this fails to suprise). All the same, I think that to some extent, everything that I have a sympathetic character really believe will either be something I also believe or a 'tragic flaw' in my character.

I wish that I could read a good piece that showed how else things can be.

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

I have a question for you -

Your main example is the archelologist and the Anasazi, and the predicament of your viewpoints regarding them. What if you were writing about an soldier of the 3rd Reich? What it pose the same questions for you? Or would it be a matter that everyone knows they were, as a group, horrible, and therefore a given that this character would be flawed? Could you give him a 'fair shake' or would the plot tend toward his redemption from the evil he was involved in?

What about a wonderful person who is also a misguided fool? Or a God fearing man, who just happens to preach to his congregation something that you or I might find ridiculous. (And by the way, even after looking into the other discussion, I have yet to hear any of your tenets that I disagree with.)

I wonder if there might be levels at which it becomes easier to be sufficiently lenient towards a character we believe to be misguided or downright wrong. I'm curious to hear your view.

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

Also, by the way, if your archeologist could not possibly find what you believe to be true information from studying their ruins, where did you get said information? Somewhere along the line someone had to discover the truth, if not from the ruins, then where?
Survivor
Member # 213

Ah, but the evidence is in the ruins. It's merely current fashion in archeology to ignore it. The ruins show a definite chronology, with the oldest being pithouses. At around 500 A.D. these people start building pithouses, of a fairly well developed design. Evidently, they practiced doing this somewhere else before coming to the region. Of course, current thinking is that the indigeonous nomadic hunter-gatherers suddenly figured out how to build permanent dwellings and plant crops in a single generation.

Then these people hang out for the next 400 years, slowly developing, starting a few new trends in architecture, such as building long houses and two story dwellings above ground, with the pit being reserved as a religious shrine. Eventually they settle on a round pit, with a distinctive and apparently ritual arrangment. Their houses are still made of wattle daub over wooden frames. At around 900 A.D., all the wooden structures start burning down, and the Anasazi suddenly realize that they've been living in firetraps for the last 400 years.

Alright, so they start building in stone, single wall construction. Even though many of these are still standing today, it seems that most of them where just totally flimsy, so that they would explode and send pieces flying dozens of yards. And they start building guard towers for no apparent reason, which are usually placed near dwellings and water sources. Of course, most of these were probably ritual.

But they figure out soon enough that double wall rubble fill construction will serve the ritual purposes of these structures better. Most other societies discover this type of construction for builing walls that withstand battering or vandalism, but the Anasazi are definitly not engaged in any sort of serious confrontation, even though in just over a hundred years they've gone from wattle daub houses to fortress villages. In 1050 A.D. the villiges are heavily built, with double walls, multiple stories, and limited numbers of entrances, which are usually fronted to the down hill side of the village. They keep on improving the villages, making them bigger and heavier, but for some mysterious reason, the population is dropping steadily.

The technology continues to improve, and the worship becomes heavliy male oriented, with only men being allowed to participate, for the next hundred years. At the same time, the Anasazi vanish from most of their territory. The remaining concentrations are more dense than ever, but the total number has diminished. They seem to be having trouble growing crops, most likely because of a drought, but they address this by building guard towers in the fields.

In 1250 A.D. several thousand remaining Anasazi build the cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde, making the daily climb up the sheer rock faces to get to their fields, and climbing down every night to sleep in the cliffs. They begin building a temple.

They never finish. By 1300 A.D. the Anasazi are all gone. Modern archeology cannot seem to explain where they all went.

I personally am betting against spaceships.

Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, have you ever seen Europa, Europa? It's about a jewish boy living in Poland who's family flees and he get's picked up by the Russians, then raised in an orphanage, then the nazis attack Russia and capture him, but he claims that his papers are lost, and since he speaks german and was found in an orphanange, they believe his story.

After some weird adventures, he rides out most of the war as a student at a German military academy. This is perhaps the wierdest adventure of all. He is not totally unaware of what must have happened to his family. When the Russians are pushing into Berlin, he is fighting with the landwehr, under the supervision of veteran soldiers.

He runs for the Russian lines, narrowly avoiding getting shot by his superior as he does, and is captured. The Russian who captures him takes him to see the inside of a death camp, and he is about to be summarily shot, when his brother, in the camp, recognizes him.

One thing that he does mention. Even though it was the single sticking point of his life at that time, he later had his son circumcised in accordence with jewish practice.

He was a fool, all that time, but he didn't claim not to be.

I can respect that.

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

Well, now you've confused me all over again!

If you can tell me these things that support what you believe became of the Anasazi, and support it with what you have just listed, then why can your archeologist not do so? It's a work of fiction, so even if you choose to beef up the proof a bit, what's wrong with that? Obviously you've come to some pretty strong conclusions of your own (spaceships notwithstanding ), so where is the dilemma of having the character do so?

I'm not entirely sure that I would draw the same conclusion that you seem to have from some of the evidence. Per example:

Why would guard towers ever be built unless they were necessary? I would tend to think that there must be some sort of confrontation, whether it was serious or not, I couldn't say. Peaceful people do not tend to think of military-style presence without a reason. If there were no reason, being merely ritual, why would it have developed to the point of having them in the fields? Why would that same presence manifest itself in fortressing cities?

I would tend to draw the conclusion that the Anasazi were not alone at any time, but that, as is nature in any given group of people, there must have been dessenters from the group that created an opposing faction. More dissenters leaving the cities, coupled with guerilla warfare (so to speak) would decently account for a rapidly dwindling population.

Another thought, are you sure it would have been drought that caused the difficulty growing crops? If you were waging a low profile war against a group of farmers, would not it be strategic to destroy their crops in some way? Or to destroy or steal their herds, thus depriving them while effectively supporting your own forces? Hence the guardtowers in the fields.

Why the conclusion that they were wiped out, rather than choosing to leave. If they had, for example, been forced to become a nomadic people - by faction or by drought - is it so far fetched to believe that they evolved into one or more of the more 'modern' native American tribes?

And what if you were to come across a completely independent source of information regarding the early inhabitants of the western hemisphere? Would you even consider it as a plausible resource?

Switching gears - no, I've never seen Europa, Europa. Sounds intriguing, but I'm not sure I could watch it. I tend to be a little sensitive about WW2 subjects. My father fought in the war, and I later married into a Jewish family. If a Jewish family doesn't throw the whole thing into a new light, nothing will. My husband's favorite uncle on his mother's side still has the numbers up and down his arms from the concentration camps he was in. Needless to say, unless he brings it up, we don't generally mention it.

Ironically, my husband's surname (before he was adopted by his mother's second husband) was Von Stieff. Don't get much more German than that!

Survivor
Member # 213

Dude,

I didn't state any of my own positions outright, because I think the evidence makes them obvious. I was giving a running commentary of the opinions of modern archeology when I said that the towers were all ritual, and that part about the drought, and even the part about the houses burning down all the sudden because they were firetraps for all those years.

You seem to have reached my exact conclusions from the evidence I cited, all of which evidence is known to modern archeology, but, in my opinion, misinterpreted.

Europa, Europa is a very strange, but aparently true, story that casts the whole war into a new light. I could not have been this person. I would have spoken out, and been killed, in the very first scene or two.

But it was interesting all the same.

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

Well. If there are two of us that can agree that closely, then there are probably more. Possibly many! Therefore, being you, I would throw out any concerns about my character and write him (assuming he is a him, of course) just exactly how I wanted. The rest of the world, or just those that disagree with you, can go jump off a cliff.

Speaking of movies, have you seen "Life is Beautiful"? Hard subject, fabulous show!! Talk about a lesson in living with what you don't believe in, and making it sound like a good thing! Its in Italian, but the acting is so suberb, you forget that you are reading the lines.

It's about a Jewish man who is taken to a Nazi concentration camp with his son on the litte boy's 8th birthday. Though the entirety of it is set in a horrible, awful situation, he turns the situation into a game so that his little boy does not have to suffer, and indeed never realizes what is truly happening around him. Must see!

Hey, we'd better watch out. We're getting into a whole different topic. I did point it out as an object lesson, though. That someone could live through something so terrible and turn it into something good for the sake of an someone he loved. Even though the army was portrayed as "bad", (don't even ask if I agree!!) a lot of people would have said that the father figure was completely unrealistic, and therefore thrown it out. Except for the fact that it is a true story, and that is exactly what happened. So - what are we left with? A character who defied all, authority and expectation, and became a hero because he did what no one thought could or would be done.

Keep your hero. Let him find his facts and interpret them as he will. Dare to have him do something unexpected! There is nobility in that.

Survivor
Member # 213

Ah, but as the little boy says in the end, 'Verito', it's true. It was the truth that transended the limited perceptions of others. He saw that they could have hope, that they could win, that laughter and love were beyond the power of their captors to destroy.

I almost cried when the tank shows up at the end, because then, after all, we too could see the truth.

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

touche'
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

Survivor,

What are the chances that you would let me read the story you are working on? Is it actually on paper yet, or still mulling? I'd like the chance to meet this perplexed archeologist.

Have you ever had one of those days where somebody rearranged all the letters on your keyboard?

Survivor
Member # 213

Oh, heavens no. I am not writing a story about any archeologist. Although I might, since the idea was discussed in the 'Writing Class' forum under the topic of 'That 1st line....' But I think that a person who has a spiritual connection to the Anasazi, discovering the story of their last days, that might be pretty interesting. I mentioned that at the end, they were attempting to build a large shrine. The story could center on that, like, they had a spirit heritage that survived, and they created an artifact that contained a history, and this guy finds it, and she learns how to decode the history, and so on.

Yeah, I think that would make an interesting story. Did you ever read that one by what's her name, Olivia Butler?

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited August 26, 1999).]

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

Well, heck. Get me all excited for nothing.(KIDDING! kidding!) Your idea does sound intriguing, though. Let me know when it's published, I'll be your first customer!

No, I've never read whats-her-name.

So, tell me - do you think anything has become clearer to you after this discussion? Maybe that's not the right way to put it... Was your question ever answered?

Survivor
Member # 213

I think that for me the question is answered, in that I think that I know how I personally must handle other belief systems. But it has also helped in that this topic has explored a lot of ground. I think that I tend towards an ideal that makes courage in questioning your own beliefs one of the cardinal virtues, and that is more clear to me now. Before, I had never questioned why it is that I would tend to call someone morally in question for simply being factually mistaken.

On the other hand, I can also better define the alternative position, where the endless search for truth is derided as philosophic dithering. I totally disagree, but I can see that being willing to go off half cocked, or commit when there is still time to make a difference, can be valuable. As long as you have some reliable bellweathers around.

I guess that works, except that I don't know all that many bellweathers that I trust.

Survivor
Member # 213

This topic has been a good example of how the writers forum has been pretty much since I got here. It takes almost the form of a linear conversation, with jackonus and then W.P. Morgenstien. I think that they were the only ones left, or something. What happened?

Almost as great a mystery as the Anasazi, and more personal. I think that I am at least a proximate cause of this disappearance, and this is a distressing thought to me.

Oh well, I suppose that it could be worse.

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nomda Plume           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it's any comfort, I don't see evidence of any virtual fortresses or development of defensive posting positions preceding their demise.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Sep 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Hey, someone is here!

Do you have any idea where all the other guys went? I haven't mailed them, it would be too... intrusive, since there is no evidence that they are interested anymore, but I miss them.

Even if you don't know any of them, I'm still happy to have someone coming by. What is a good topic to talk about?

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

Your subject of the Anasazi is intriguing to me. If someone or something attacked and defeated them, as your evidence suggests, who or what could it have been? Their antagonists should have left some relics too. Is there anything that could be interpreted that way? Do you suppose they began to make war on one another?
Survivor
Member # 213

The problem with the idea of internecine warfare is that someone should have won. If the Anasazi were fighting amongst themselves, at least one population would have survived, unless weapons of mass destruction (artificially cultivated plagues or similar methods) were used. Not impossible, but they were burying their dead right up till the end.

And there are a lot of weapons in the area, mostly stone aged stuff. It's not always possible to date them, but there are different styles found. Most of the modern community tends to assert that the more weapon like tools were left by the nomadic hunter gatherer society.

My personal thought is that whoever killed them did the job and left, since the area has nothing to recommend it, other than relative isolation. That may have been why the Anasazi came there in the first place. If that were so, then they were probably racially distinct from whoever killed them, otherwise, their enemies would have had trouble remembering the grudge. This is a speculation, not based on anything but a sense that the Anasazi came there for a reason.

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

Strange, too, that they would trouble to go somewhere they didn't want to be in order to kill off the Anasazi and then move on.

Most of the time when a nomadic group makes war on a settled population, it's in order to steal the greater resources an agricultural way of life affords. Then the nomads eventually settle down and become farmers themselves as there are fewer and fewer left from whom to steal. But in this case, could the agressors have died out when the Anasazi did? The same way an effective predator species can sometimes drive its prey and consequently itself to extinction?

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

The story of war is basically that the mobile, armed, and rootless attack the settled, social, and comfortable to steal their resources.

The MA&R are usually tougher, meaner, poorer, and have fewer compunctions, not having had to develop them to survive in the context of a stable (breeding) community. They are often bands of all males, and part of their theft, of course, is rape.

The SS&C are richer because that way of life leads to bigger surpluses. They have higher standards of behaviour and morality, because stable communities know each other and are more accountable. They kick out anyone who can't or won't conform. They make an easy target because they stay in one spot, and their comfortable way of life makes them soft. They tend to develop, due to contact with the MA&R, xenophobia, defensiveness, and conservatism.

Wow! All the sudden I'm realizing some interesting things about society and the world today.

[This message has been edited by Nomda Plume (edited September 18, 1999).]

Survivor
Member # 213

It's tempting to try to simplify warfare that way, but much of the time just the opposite is happening. The settled and wealthy are attacking the rootless and impoverished.

And the Anasazi did pick a real poor place to live, particularly for an agricultural society. Isolation from other populations really was the main benefit available there. If we go by the assumption that whoever was attacking them was more poverty striken, then we have to conclude that they could not have been effectively attacked. That may be the thinking behind the modern assertions that their disappearance was a mystery.

But I have no illusions that the wealthy are always more moral, or that only hunger and need can move humans to warfare and even genocide. I've studied them only for a moment of time, but I've learned this at least.

Humans can be real jerks.

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

True, true. But I'm fond of them, just the same.

And the truth is, some of them can be heartbreakingly wonderful, as well.

I know that's a complete oversimplification of war. But it seems to cover an awful lot of territory, to me. I think of it from several different levels and I get the feeling it fits.

Morality is not really the right distinction between the groups, though; more like a propensity to not rock the boat. Maybe that's a better analogy: those inside the lifeboat don't want it rocking. It's the ones in the water who don't care.

As for the Anasazi, do you think it's possible that they moved to such an isolated area to try to get away from the aggressive nomads to begin with, then they found that they were followed? And after they were eventually destroyed, possibly whatever was left of the nomads simply moved on to attack more successful agricultural societies?

Since I'm not familiar with any of the evidence, I'm just speculating on possibilities. You know much better than me. What do you think happened?

[This message has been edited by Nomda Plume (edited September 19, 1999).]

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

But to address the topic, which is an interesting question: I think you have to suspend your own disbelief while you're writing that character. To make the character true in himself, you have to believe him while you're writing him. Sort of the way an actor wears his character for the duration of the play. It helps to be slightly schizophrenic.
Survivor
Member # 213

I am assuming that you are at least a little familiar with Star Trek, the Next Generation. I always thought that Johnathan Frakes, who played Commander Riker, was the smarmiest jerk in existence. Then I saw him out of character a couple of times, in TV specials, and I thought, hey, he actually seems likable. Then they had that episode about Lt, Riker, the one where they discover that he was trapped on a science station and only partly beamed out, so that there are two Rikers. The thing is, I instantly liked Lt. Riker. Frakes plays them exactly the same in mannerism, but one is good, and the other is evil.

I was always puzzled by that, how Frakes had known to play an evil Riker, when it was only later revealed that there was a good Riker. But your comment sort of opens that up to me. I think that Frakes was working from the character sketch, just portraying the attributes that he was told to portray. But he must not have been sympathetic himself, and that's why Riker came across as such a jerk all the time. I just now realized that.

But Riker was very well liked, by a lot of people. On the other hand, I usually hate the characters that are supposed portrayals of my demographic, so I don't know. How is it that the kind of person that likes Commander Riker isn't wise to the fake, but I am? Or am I just kidding myself? Can I really detect fakes oriented towards my viewpoints?

I catch them often enough, but maybe it's just paranoia, rather than perception. Hmm.

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

I don't know. But that's interesting that you're always detecting fakes. Because I have the opposite of paranoia, I think. (Maybe pronoia?) I'm always investing characters with depth and goodness which they later turn out not to possess. I see truth and beauty and nobility where it later turns out not to exist! (At least I think that's what's happening. It may be that contact with me just has a bad effect on people. *g*)
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, but what did you think of Riker?
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

I'm sorry I abandoned you there, Survivor! The last month of my life would make a great novel in and of itself. but that's a whole different posting!!!

As for Riker - I can't stand him! He has one of those faces that make me want to belt him every time I see him! As a matter of fact, the only time I liked him was in the latest movie and I honestly think that was because he was entirely out of character! The 'good' Riker took over while no one was looking.

Tell me what makes 'fakes' so obvious to you? I don't think it's paranioa - I think it's a gift. I tend to be a little more on the side of Nomda Plume, expecting honesty and goodness (put that together with a used car salesman and you have a fairly accurate explanation of the last three weeks! )
What is it that tips you?

Survivor
Member # 213

I am innately suspicious, I suppose. The thing is, I am part Chinese, and a prime virtue in Chinese philosophy, unlike Western morality, is the quality of being inscrutable. Thus, trust has a subtly different thrust for a part Chinese man.

Chinese people tend to trust blindly, Westerners tend to trust openly, and a part Chinese man tends to trust obliquely. When I play a 'trust game', I don't predict that the other person will catch me, nor do I predict that they will not. I hold it in abeyance, ready for either outcome.

I don't really know how a part Chinese woman trusts, but I think that it has something to do with emotional linkages and perceptual differential.

Back to me. The advantage is, that I tend to trust that an entity has a nature, and that I will discover what that entity will do. When I encounter an entity that seems... contrived or out of place, then I don't trust it. If I trust someone, then it means that I feel partly prepared to meet the consequences that may arise from that persons actions, whereas not trusting them means that I feel that there is something unaccountable about them.

Okay, this all means almost nothing in practical terms, other than that I am adept at picking up on behaviours that don't quite add up. Like in the other forum, how I just knew that the one guy had a 'religious' upbringing that had stifled him emotionally as well as intellectually. It was funny, because he denied that and then revealed it in the next post. It was also sad, for obvious reasons, but I think that he'll be able to work through his feelings in time.

And then, he'll be authentic to himself

Ha, but you have to remember that this is all from the same guy who went and asked a bunch of physics guys what would happen if you went faster than the speed of light. But I do believe that deception always creates contradiction, and even though you can't always tell what the deception is from the contradiction, you can still bet it is there.

Like in that episode of Mad About You when Jamie goes to see an astrologer and ends up finding out that her mother lied about her birthday to get her into school earlier. I loved that, it was a classic.

Survivor
Member # 213

I liked him in the latest movie too.

Insurrection, right? I liked the whole movie more than I thought I would, although I thought the premise was pretty dumb. I mean, so this planet makes people stay young forever, so what? I thought that was sort of like the genetic engineering, where the Federation had the technology, but didn't want to use it. I mean, life extension is a lot easier than genetic engineering. But it poses similar dangers to a human society. But now I'm off topic.

The issue of trusting a character in the sense that I just described is more on topic. I think it would be hard to present a belief system different from my own without presenting contradictions, and that would undermine the trust that my reader would have with my character. Hah! How's that for a justification of a impassioned rave?

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

Hey that was a really great 'get-the-heck-back-on-track' remark!

I have to admit that I have a great ability to catch a lie. I have to agree that the note of insincerity would tend to come through. But I still think that could be used to your advantage as an author if you played your cards right (especially if you were into mystery. )

Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, it would build tension. A lot of Poe's appeal is the feeling that you get about his narrators, like, creepy.

But of course, the puzzle that you present then is a game of finding out what the narrator or viewpoint character really believes, and that leads right back home again. Sort of like what OSC said about how people who didn't know him from Adam (except that Adam is long dead and OSC is not) would come up and ask him if he was a morman. It just isn't something that you can hide all that well.

Hmm, what about me? Is my 'morman quotient' really high? Or do I have more of some other type of quotient?

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

I wasn't quite sure right off hand, but it does sort of make it's way into your writings - just occasionally. Or maybe it's just that 'takes one to know one' thing! Your comment about - what were your words? - 'hideously complex' belief systems did throw me off for a while, though. We're not that bad, are we?

And anyone who can quote the Articles of Faith is either a RM or has the D&C sitting in front of them - either of which is a pretty good clue.

Although I think that the reason OSC gets asked so much lies mostly in the fact that he's very open about it. (Sounds like I mean he's gay, doesn't it? No, no - no slander intended.) Everyone I've ever heard talk about him, including the friend that introduced me to his works, usually says within the first few sentences: "..and he's Morman, too!" So I'm sure word gets around. I've never seen him, but I'm almost willing to bet a short haircut and a dark suit.....

Everyone has something about them that is unmistakeable, some are just more blatant than others. Per example, you never would have guessed that I'm opinionated, would you? (You may answer without fear of repercussion - even I know its true!) No matter how I try it always comes through. My best friend uses the word 'ness' to describe these sorts of things. Who and how you are that makes you individual is your 'ness'. So I suppose your 'ness' always shows to a certain degree.

Survivor
Member # 213

Last picture of him I've seen he had a mustache, thick glasses, and a plaid shirt.

But you have to admit, even just the basic Morman doctrine is pretty complex, the stuff that is in the Gospel Essentials handbooks and all.

And there is a lot of latitude beyond that to explore in terms of personal belief. I know that I have more fixed beliefs than the average Morman, and given the bar for Mormans as far as having fixed beliefs goes, that means that to the average non Morman, I probably actually have about a order of magnitude more fixed beliefs. And as far as I know, none of them are directly contradictory. Hah, beat that, Sarte!

It's something that I get around as best I can, when I'm trying to deal with other people. I know things that they cannot know without unlearning a heck of a lot of what they think they know. I was talking to a guy just today about the question of ultimate truth, relativity, and Chinese inscrutability, and believe me, it was a fairly wild conversation.

I already have this enormous body of solid beliefs, at least, enormous compared with what is usually acceptable to put forward in company, and any thread of it can lead to any other thread. It can be scary.

That's what I meant by hideous. I didn't mean ugly, just scary. Dreadful, monstrous. And hideous is the standard type modifier for complex, although I'm not sure why. But the root is from an old word for frightening.

As for the Articles of Faith, I'm guilty on both counts, RM and D&C, and a third count of having the infobases Library too.

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

I knew it!

I can understand what you mean - I grew up with quite a diverse group of friends. Moved a lot, so it was a case of some here, some there, some who knows where - but they all had one thing in common. Not one of them was LDS! Yep, I was the only one in a group that also contained: a protestant gonna-be preacher, a bhuddist, an athiest-anarchist, a born again, an ex-mormon-who-now-hates-everything-about-them, a Jehovah's Witness, the daughter of a Baptist minister, shall I continue? If you don't think I have ended up in my share of hideous (and I mean ugly and scary) religious discussions, think again!

Maybe that's why I don't think I'd have a problem from writing from a standpoint I don't believe. These people were all my friends, not aquaintances. I know them very well, and they are good people. For me to say that the Protestant was working hard to save people's souls would not be a lie. I might not agree with the way he went about it, but his efforts were honest so my story would be honest in his behalf.

You know I have to asked where you served. You'd laugh if I told you the exotic location I was sent to!

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I went to Korea. It was interesting, but I am a poor judge of things being exotic. I felt very at home there, even though I could see that it was totally different in almost every cultural aspect from the States.

But then again, maybe I just am not very at home here either. Stranger in my own land. Hmmm.

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

Yeah? Try living in Utah sometime!
Nomda Plume
Member # 255

Hah! One reason I love to travel is that I often feel more at home there than in my own place. But part of it is probably the fact that there I'm supposed to be a stranger.
Survivor
Member # 213

I have lived in Utah, with varying results. I am still a stranger, but...Utah is more a place where a long haired Morman is anomalous enough to be seen as outside of the normal expectations of society. It's very liberating, in a sense. Everyone treats me better there, since they know that I am one of them even if I am a little bit odd. Of course, back when I had short hair it was hellish. The Mormans thought I was apostate and the non-mormans thought I was a mental case.

The hair really makes a difference.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.