Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Handling Other Belief Systems (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Handling Other Belief Systems
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
I came from a college town very much like Berkely, CA! Hippies on every other corner, beatniks, bums and gays on the rest. It's a very liberal town! That's what I grew up with for the most part - free to be, so to speak.

When I first moved to Utah, not thinking anything of it, I put my hair up in rag-curls, threw on a sweatshirt and cut-offs and went to WalMart. Good heck - you'd have thought I was the oddest looking thing around! One woman literally almost crashed her nice, new minivan because she was so busy staring - mouth agape! - at me! Sorry, I didn't realize that a trip to the corner department store required jacket and tie! Liberal this town is not!

I honestly think the only reason I survive here is because I moved so much as a kid. You know the old saying "bloom where you're planted"? I usually wasn't in the same dirt long enough to bother. I agree with Nomda on the point of travelling.

By the way, Nomda, thanks for chipping in. I was beginning to wonder....do Survivor and I put off some sort of "vibe" when we get into the same room? We always seem to end up alone.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's actually more a matter of you, me, Nomda, and Jack being the only ones that have posted here at all in quite some time. And Jack keeps on leaving to hang with his writing group.

Sigh. What about me? Why don't I have a group? Sob...

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomda Plume
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nomda Plume           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think the company here is small, but select. Right now I'm busy trying to write something....
Posts: 70 | Registered: Sep 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Survivor, why don't you have a group?

Have you signed up for a writing group and are still waiting? If so - that's strange, you've been here longer than I have and I'm into one!

Hmm.....

Survivor
Member # 213

I knew it! It's a conspiracy!

Oh, woe is me. Wae is mae! Why don't I have a group?

I'll write Kath again. That's how it's done, right?

She saw my picture and decided not to let me in on the fun, or she's been reading my posts.

Wae is mae!

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

Well, maybe she thinks you're too opinionated for a beginner's group! (How's that for the pot calling the kettle?)

She'd better put you in mine. We seem to have opinionation in spades!

hmm...is that a word?

Survivor
Member # 213

Um, it should be opinionatedness. But I like the other formation better. And if it's truly opinionated, then perhaps....
Survivor
Member # 213

Yay! I'm in a group now! I have to work on my stories and stuff.
Samuel Bush
Member # 282

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush   Email Samuel Bush         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really enjoying reading this discussion. It has given me a lot of things to think about. Unfortunately, I can’t find page 2. When I click on it, I get some legal web site called Split-up. I hope to find page 2 someday. Meanwhile, I thought I might toss some of my own gravel into the mix.

It seems to me that it’s a good idea to find out why a person believes what he does.

When I was a youth (back in the early cretaceous according to my kids), I loved to argue about religion. I started to realize that, although it was loads of fun, it was also futile. I got to know another young fellow of a different faith who also liked to argue.

We soon learned that we were each barking up different trees. For instance, we thought we both believed in resurrection. But when one of us insisted that we each ought to define just what we meant by resurrection, it became clear that we each had a much different understanding of resurrection. It was that way with just about every concept. How can you have a descent argument when you don’t have a clue what the other guy is putting forth about, for crying out loud !

We started to explore just why we each believed what we did, and we each discovered that the other guy wasn’t such an imbecile after all. Which thing we never had supposed before. We became pretty good friends and had many a real zinger discussion.

That way of looking at things has forced me to give up a lot of my prejudices. I’m still not real tolerant of some behaviors, mind you, but I have grown more empathetic toward people.

Peoples’ belief systems (religion, code of ethics, what have you) seem to me to be somewhat analogous to math systems. Loosely analogous, to be sure, and people are much more complex than a few silly numbers, but still . . .

In math, you have a set of axioms which you can’t prove. You have to take them on faith. But the whole system grows into a self-consistent discipline that becomes useful to varying degrees and for various things. That’s not to say one math system is consistent with another. Look at plane and solid geometries, for instance. They are both useful, however. Mainly to give students nightmares.

Now, just because I can understand why another believes the things he does, doesn’t mean I have to reject my own beliefs. It’s true, I do take my own axioms on faith. But I must be true to my own feelings --feelings such as peace, serenity, a calm assurance, and things that work. However, I don’t let my beliefs keep me from liking my friends.

One of the things that really torques me off is when people scoff at the old cliché: “Why, some of my best friends are _____.” (Fill in the blank with your favorite “them.”) I don’t know why people scoff at this statement. All of my friends actually are different from me, but I still like them and want to be in their company. That’s because they are my friends.

Of course there are some types of people that are just not likeable – Stalin, Hitler, and yodelers for example.

So maybe, to develop story characters, one must do some research to get to understand another’s belief system. I don’t think one would get very much useful info about Judaism by asking Louis Farrakhan, however. Nor, for that matter, would one get anything useful from Walter Martin who has made a career out of lying about several sects which he calls cults. Or try consulting a disciple of Freud. He’ll just tell you a person does the things he does because he wants to have sex with his own mother. Well, getting at the truth is a crap shoot sometimes. Good luck.

One of the things that I think would be interesting to try, is to invent a whole belief system (alien or human) to use as a background in which to shape characters’ behaviors. I know some SF writers have done just that to great effect. I seem to have read somewhere that you sometimes have to create a whole world and it’s history to act as a framework, even though much of it will never get put into the story. It seems that it would all have to be self-consistent to be workable, though. Unless you happen to be Piers Anthony. (Just kidding. I love his stuff.)

One final point. We fiction writers are liars. I accept that. That’s what we do. But I have a real disdain for the idea that “I lie to get at the bigger Truth.” Get outta here! That sounds too much like Oliver Stoneish tripe to me. (My apologies to menudo lovers everywhere.) No, I’m a liar – pure and simple -- but I’m going to do my best to lie well. And if I can convince you that one of my characters really does enjoy torturing the pet cat of the little girl down the street, then maybe I can sell a story or two. Personally, I like my neighbors’ cats and dogs, even the ones that crap in my yard.

I’ve enjoyed reading what everyone has written on this subject, and I sure hope I can learn to incorporate this stuff into my stories.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ducky
Member # 279

- posted      Profile for ducky   Email ducky         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with yodelers? Maybe you just don't know any who do it well.

Anyway, in Posting you seem to have taken care of our misdirected tesseract. This is the first time in quite a while that I've seen page two.

I don't think of myself as a liar. I'm an honest person. If I were a liar I would write fiction and try to pass it off as fact. I am an imaginitive person and inventive person who likes to spin tales. I have my audiences permission to do so, therefore I do not qualify as a liar.

Survivor,
I have very strong beliefs! Truth is Truth! It is not subject to our whims, but Fiction Is. If you do not know someone that you like who believes differently that you do your life must be some kind of bubble. Could you tell someone else about a friend or his beliefs? I can. That is how you must approach different belief systems in your writing. Think of your character as someone you know, then tell his story. Don't tell me you can't. I don't think you believe in being an asassin (sp?) do you?

Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomda Plume
Member # 255

Why would you not think that?
ducky
Member # 279

Why don't I think he believes in being an asassin? Let's say I hope he doesn't. If you're asking why an asassin, visit his website and read his short story.
Nomda Plume
Member # 255

I got from the story that a virtuous assassin should choose carefully which master he serves.

[This message has been edited by Nomda Plume (edited October 25, 1999).]

Survivor
Member # 213

She didn't get that from the story, I told her that!

I do think that it is implicit in the story, but I also distinctly remember telling you that, when you were asking me about the story. Or maybe I told you that in one of the forums... Hmmm, maybe she did get it from the story. But I'm sure that I helped.

As for the Question of whether I can like people when I happen to know that some of their beliefs are inaccurate, the answer is, of course. After all, some of my beliefs are inaccurate at times. But I do require two things of everyone that I love (which is all of you, so listen up):

1. You have to believe that there is such a thing as Truth.

2. You must be committed to learning the Truth and acting on it.

Of course most of the people that I love don't work as hard on either of those as I require. That's only to be expected. But the upshot is, I always regard that as a failing. I doesn't mean that I don't like people that fail, after all, we all fail at times. But I still regard it as a failing.

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

I don't think you could have told me that because I wasn't sure you'd agree with it... but if you remember telling me then maybe you did. Or maybe you will but just haven't yet. (Don't forget my limitation of only being able to experience time sequentially. )

Hmmm... methinks it must be a strange sort of close fisted type of thing which you refer to as your love.... to have so many conditions placed upon it.... Whoever was it taught you to feel in such a way? It surely wasn't your Father.

ducky
Member # 279

By the way, I likes your story. I did think his change of heart came rather too quickly. How does one go from being programed to do whatever your told to total rebellion in five minitues? what I really want to know is what he did with his life afterwards. How about a sequel?

Something else I want to know! What would you do with a friend who believed in truth, thought they had it all and wasn't interested looking anymore?

Survivor
Member # 213

I've never met someone like that. I think it's because if someone really believes in truth, they can't survive without finding more all the time.

As for love, I only place one condition on love. When you love someone you have to want the best for them always. It cut's your heart for them to miss out on good things.

Truth is good.

It cut's me when people that I love don't have or seek it.

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

Yes! Good things. Truth. The best always. I agree.
ducky
Member # 279

That is the way I feel about those I love as well. I do know someone like I was speaking about. I sat so close beside him that I could actually feel the spirit move in him and his reaction to the what he felt. Sounds strange but I don't know any other way to discribe what happened. It was as though I could feel his soul swelling with the truth he was hearing. Suddenly it felt as if he had slammed a door and he began to contract. He was never the same after that. It was as if some light had gone off inside. It HURT!!! It still hurts. I know he was afraid to learn something that would change his life so much. He had his life all planned out. What he was feeling, what he was learning would have changed everything! He could not face that. Now his life is neither what he had planned nor what it could have been.
Survivor
Member # 213

Sometimes, when you take all the candy away, your children will eat well.
Nomda Plume
Member # 255

I think the very best method for getting children to eat well is to feed them well. Sort of the complementary process of taking the candy away. Do you think?

[This message has been edited by Nomda Plume (edited October 30, 1999).]

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

I'm afraid I must be dense, but you really must explain the candy remark to me. Yes, I know it is a literal truth, but there has got to be something figurative about it to fit into this conversation, and I just don't see where in this context a figurative side of it fits.

Is it just me?

Survivor
Member # 213

Sometimes God will take away everything that we think is good for us so that we can find room in our lives for what He knows is good for us.
ducky
Member # 279

This is true, but what really hurts is when they refuse to eat altogether or start eating things that are not digestible at all. Anyway would you abandon him? I had to back off, but I still worry about him! I cannot live his life, but neither can I begrudge him the right to make his own choices.

If I were trying to write about him I'm not sure I could write his story completely and unbiasly from his point of view. I could tell it from what I know of him, or what I believe I understand, but how truely could I portray him? Perhaps that is the point you were trying to make in the first place. I guess the question when you are faced with such a dilemma becomes - is it worth trying? I don't know, I wish I did.

Survivor
Member # 213

The circle is now complete. Ultimately, we write from our own perspective, even when--particularly when--we talk about another set of beliefs.

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited November 02, 1999).]

ducky
Member # 279

Yes, but does that mean we shouldn't try?
Survivor
Member # 213

Do you mean trying to write about different beliefs and points of view? Certainly.

But as for trying to pretend that we have different perspectives and beliefs ourselves, well, I just think that makes people look silly.

And I only like to look silly when I'm trying to look silly

ducky
Member # 279

Survivor, you never did tell me what you would do with a friend like mine.
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

You let him go his own way, and marry a wonderful man from California. You think about him once in a while and thank the Lord you didn't make the mistake of marrying him!
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

You let him go his own way, and marry a wonderful man from California. You think about him once in a while and thank the Lord you didn't make the mistake of marrying him!
piman
Member # 142

- posted      Profile for piman   Email piman         Edit/Delete Post 
This discussion has been very interesting if not focused.

Read OSC's story HOLY for an example of writing about something that you not only don't believe in, but something you find revolting. (Also 1,000 Deaths and Kings Meat).

I think every writer must at some point in his career write something that is abhorrant to him or her. It need not be published, but it will make them a better writer and better thinker.

Just because something disgusts me doesn't mean the person who believes it and espouses it is wrong. I always try to see it from the other guys point of veiw before I judge their beliefs and actions.

Politics is a good example. I have friends who have drastically different political beliefs than me, who share the same religious beliefs. (LDS) How can that be?! I can justify my political beliefs through my religion as well as they can. So how can we be sitting in the same meeting with such diameterically opposite views?

If their views are grounded in their belief system and they can justify them, whose to say they are wrong. I disagree with them, but that does not indicate that they are stupid or ill informed.

The Anasazi is a good example. From all the reading I have done, I don't come up with the same conclusion as Survivor nor of the general scientific population. And the funny thing is, we are probably all wrong.

Just a question why is everyone spelling Mormon wrong? (Morman instead of Mormon).

The PI Man

Posts: 76 | Registered: Mar 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.