Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » In the wake of Adversity

Author Topic: In the wake of Adversity
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I recieved this from someone that posts on the hatrack river forums.
quote:
How can you be a good housewife and mother in the middle of a writing frenzy?

How can you write when you must constantly be a mom of little kids and your thoughts are always interupted?

I joined a writers group a long time ago, and because of these woes, I didn't contribute very well, so I am afraid to join again.

I'm not sure to what end she asked me to post it here, but surety is never more than a chimera. it's not a viral bomb, at any rate.

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited September 04, 2000).]

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Albatross
Member # 593

- posted      Profile for Albatross   Email Albatross         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to the Housewife! I, too, am a stay-at-home mom. I have been fortunate enough to find a church that has a "Mother's Day Out" program. For a very small fee, they will watch kids for about 3 hours, 2 days a week. I am planning to take advantage of this service.

Also, I have to do a lot of my writing after the family goes to sleep. I know that these solutions aren't very satisfactory, but I figure they're the best I've got, so I'll try to take full advantage of them. Even if I only get an hour a day, at least it's something.

Another idea you could try - find out if there are other moms with kids the same age as yours who might want to start up a "playgroup" type of arrangement. You could take turns watching the children, giving one mom each turn a chance to be by herself.

Good luck, I know it's not easy! If you come up with other good ideas, please share them. I myself am not a very good housekeeper, but I do try. I'm hoping that by giving myself a 'regular writing time' that I can manage to be more focused during housework time.

I also ran across a Writing Mom's website when I was doing a random surf on the 'net. Unfortunately I don't remember the address. I bet if you can find it, there will be a lot of good ideas and some support for the unique challenges of writing mothers.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.