Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Question---I don't mean to offend anyone

Author Topic: Question---I don't mean to offend anyone
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Here’s my question. It concerns copyright. Not copyright of my work. Company trademark copyright. So much is being bandied about over using Kleenex or Xerox etc. You shouldn’t use them and should use tissue and copy instead.

So here is the question—please do not take offence—In my story, an African American is annoyed because his friends call him an Oreo Cookie. For those of you who do not know the meaning(my husband didn’t) it means being black on the outside, but white on the inside. If you are Native American you get called an apple. So back to the question—is that a copyright infringement? Somehow saying–“They call me a chocolate sandwich cookie.” doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

Any opinions or answers?

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What the trademark watchdogs are concerned about, as I understand it, is that the trademark may turn into the generic term for the object.

What you're talking about is slang, not genericism per se.

So go ahead and use Oreo (without the (TM) preferred by trademark people--that would be as "too much" as "chocolate sandwich cookie" in the circumstances).

Or, you could go with "Uncle Tom" (and have an allusion that lots of people nowadays may not get....)

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 05, 2001).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kathleen... It's okay to use.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

My husabnd sugested zebra--not the same thing though.

Shawn

Rina
Member # 825

- posted      Profile for Rina   Email Rina         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed... this is a tough one. You could, if needed, use something like Ice cream sandwich, or coconut truffel...
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I like th eice cream sandwich one--LOL

Shawn

Lizzie
Member # 957

- posted      Profile for Lizzie   Email Lizzie         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally have an issue with "modernisms." Will someone twenty years from now know what an Oreo cookie is? Probably(I certainly knew 20 years ago) Same with Kleenex(but not Puffs)I think Kleenex and Oreo have become standard, understood references, and it would be OK to use them. What I can't stand is when authors make reference to specific "this time only" items just for a laugh that only someone Right then will get. (Example: JK Rowling refers to "Plystation "n Harry Potter #4) I really hate that.

(OK,can someone, once and for all, tell me what I do that makes me erase the words ahead of what I am writing? It drives me to insanity)
Sorry, because it happened above and I don't know what to do.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
writerPTL
Member # 895

- posted      Profile for writerPTL   Email writerPTL         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a guess, because that Harry Potter reference stuck out at me as something J. K. wouldn't use. I almost wonder if she put Nintendo (more generic), a British equivalent, or even just video games, and Scholastic (in its editing of the British to American versions) changed it. I don't know though, just an UN-educated guess.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Writer_Actress
Member # 848

- posted      Profile for Writer_Actress           Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm.... neat theory.

Posts: 426 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 1198

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Lizzie, you hit the Insert button on your keyboard... it switches you from Insert mode to Typeover.

OSC talked a bit about this at literary boot camp in Greensboro. His take on the matter was to go ahead and use whatever product name you want, because they really can't stop you.

Whatever they may say to the contrary, words like kleenex, xerox, oreo, band aid, levi's, etc. have become part of our language, and not merely as specific product names.

He said that if your character would say "hand me a kleenex," then write that. They certainly wouldn't say "hand me a facial tissue" He told us not even to capitalize Kleenex, and certainly not to use the (tm) afterward.

I think using oreo in the context you did (though it's not exactly something that would endear me to that character ) is perfectly fine.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
IonFish
Member # 1192

- posted      Profile for IonFish   Email IonFish         Edit/Delete Post 
On the same subject, I'm currently writing a science fiction story set some four hundred years in the future.

Would it be alright to have a travel journalist of the time writing a Lonely Planet guide, or would I have to obtain permission from the publishers?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I tried to respond to this earlier today but my ISP flipped out and I couldn’t get back on. The word resulted out of this conversation: “Hell, my old friends call me an Oreo cookie. It just doesn’t pay to climb out of the sludge anymore. No one wants a role model.” The speaker is an African American trauma surgeon speaking to a Native American one who is the main character in the book. The conversation takes place after the NA’s brother calls him an apple. (And those of us who live off reservations hear that one a lot when we go back for a visit) Translation: red on the outside and white on the inside.
FlyingCow
Member # 1198

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd put the cookie. All the times I've ever heard the expression it's been just plain "oreo"... as a derisive slang word, I don't know if it would need to be capitalized either.

As far as Lonely Planet, that's tough. Could you alter the title a bit? How many companies from 400 years ago are still around that you know? Doug Adams made The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, playing with the Hitchhiker's Guide to Europe idea - I wonder if he needed permission?

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
IonFish
Member # 1192

- posted      Profile for IonFish   Email IonFish         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a kind of tongue-in-cheek thing, as this story is being set on another world, so keeping the title would be preferable if possible; however, I don't know how legal it would be.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.