Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Concerning novel length--I found it!

Author Topic: Concerning novel length--I found it!
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that I had this somewhere---in the Feb 2001 issue of Writer's Digest Magazine they ran an artical on doing a second draft---I applied this theory to my current novel--but then could not remember the suggested word length for a marketable first novel---<drum roll><shawn jumps out of chair shouting> 70,000 words!

The artical talks of most first time authors making the mistake of writing novels that are 120,000 words in length when the optimal length is half that.

So according to them---70,000 words or 300 pages.

Which means once I write my single wrap up chapter--I am done.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, congratulations!! I wish I was done with a novel...*pouts* But I'm getting there...slowly but surely...
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if 70,000 words is the limit, then I've already got enough stuff for two novels. That's lifted my spirits!
Whether those words are any good or not remains to be seen...
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Xenocide
Member # 885

- posted      Profile for Xenocide   Email Xenocide         Edit/Delete Post 
Really?

I get Writer's Digest, and it seems to me they said optimal lenght for a book was 180,000...

*wanders off in search of all his lost magazines*
–=Xeno=–

Posts: 356 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Xenocide
Member # 885

- posted      Profile for Xenocide   Email Xenocide         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, you were right. Say's right there, first time novel length should be 70,000.

Good job srhowen, I'm nearly half way then myself!
–=Xeno=–

Posts: 356 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Wel, I sent out 10 query letters on Friday. I managed a one page synop---a record for me--so now the wait begins.

Shawn

Locke
Member # 991

- posted      Profile for Locke   Email Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm about a tenth of the way done, but I started last week and I'm really slow but thoughtful.
Posts: 585 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought 100,000 was the optimal length... hmmm, if 70k is it, then I am just that much closer with my measly 8k done.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
What I find scary is that the second draft of a log-style story I'm writing... the first four chapters (including prologue) is almost half the length of the original draft of 17 chapters (including prologue and epilogue). And this is something I doubt would ever get published at that, it's just a writing exercise for me.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are no hard and fast rules, but I'm concerned... I'm writing what I hope will be a very engaging, in-depth novel... THere's about 3 main plot lines, and a few subplots that all interconnect.

I'm writing chapter 5 now, and have roughly 20,000 words under my belt so far. Undoubtedly when I come back to revise/edit a 2nd draft that might get pared down some... but by the above discussion, I should be like 1/5 of the way done and I am woefully far from that.

Will a larger manuscript be a burden?? Even if (hopefully) it is well written? Thanks,

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
srhowen:

Do you still agree with the 70,000 number? I recall you saying 100k.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited January 16, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/2000-08-02-1.shtml

This is OSC's opinion on the matter.

One point I thought I'd quote over here:

quote:
Having said that, I must point out that the original advice you were given -- that a book feels like a normal novel somewhere around 100,000 words and is hard to publish at less than 75,000 -- is true.

Althought there is a lot more to his answer than that so I'd read it if you really want to know.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
Tor suggests 100-130k....

Some other publishers between 70-110k

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I think I'd revise that to 90,000. Medicine Man, now being pitched to the publishers by my agent, ended up being 118,000 words by the time we were done with editing.

It seems that when agents or editors look at a work they would rather suggest you add things than subtract things. Think about that for yourself--the majority of people I have worked with hate cutting words. (Don't we all--those words are our babies) The hardest part of the agent rewrites I did were the cut this chapter and get rid of this character--etc. While the you need to add this and this, was much easier.

Also, it has to do with shelf space. If your book is huge and fat then it takes up more space on the shelf so a book store might only stock one or two copies of it. When those sell the store manager will say ugh that book only sold one copy. Where as if three or four book stake up the same space they will order the three or four. More sales equal more book orders etc. And yes they do look at shelf space when ordering books.

All I can say is that I followed the formula suggested in that article. (with the exception of first agent draft length) I did not try to make a prior novel fit into it--I wrote one geared toward that formula.

After several years of trying to get previous novels published (one was 325,000 words, the other 195,000 words) I landed an agent.

So IMHO the formula works.

Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited January 16, 2004).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.