Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Story Idea:The evolution of a scientific theology.

Author Topic: Story Idea:The evolution of a scientific theology.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
We have all heard of SETI, I hope. We have also all heard of the Evolutionary theory of biological origins. And I think that some proportion of us have heard something or other about the age of the universe, current theories of stellar/planetary system formation, theoretical models of interstellar travel, developments in fusion power, information theory, cybernetics, bionics, genetics, etc. et al.

So, what if in the near (or distant, if you like) future, scientists accept the challenge of testing the following hypothesis.

About 10 billion years ago, when the first biologically exploitable stellar/planetary systems began appearing, the process of biological evolution as understood by evolutionary science got started on one or more essentially Earthlike planets (current cosmological science indicates that there should have been millions of Earthlike planets in our own galaxy back then [by which I mean similar mass, EM spectrum and intensity, orbit {around a Sol like star}, elemental composition, etc. et al] so over the course of a few billion ensuing years some of them should have given rise to biochemical reactions according to current biological theories). Further, that on one or more of said planets, life evolved at or near the rate that we see in our own fossil record. Thus, somewhat less than 5 billion years after these Earthlike planets (in their Solar system like stellar/planetary systems) first appeared in cosmologically significant numbers (millions, rather than mere tens of thousands) human level intellegent life-forms began the path of scientific advance and discovery on one or more of them. By way of prefiguring our own scientific progress, and extending it a few thousands of years more, one or more of these races made the leap to becoming a starfaring people, and continued to advance scientifically, socially, and ethically, rather than destroying themselves cataclysmicly (much as we hope to do). Thus, five billion years ago, less than a billion years prior to the formation of our own solar system, a race of interstellar travelers embarked on an unlimited progression of increasing scientific knowledge and technology, social organization, and ethical perfection.

And the final element of the hypothesis? That these near omnipotent, omniscient, morally perfect beings have not ignored the existence of our species, but have actually contacted us, helped us develop, and offered the most exceptionally enlightened members of our species the opportunity to join them on the individual basis of our moral conduct while living on Earth.

Now for the story idea(s). A brilliant young scientist discovers compelling evidence that this hypothesis is true, but the theology implied defies accepted standards of morality in his or her society.

Better yet, this scientist discovers that these superior beings have determined that the society he or she comes from must be destroyed so as to allow its members to develop an acceptable morality.

Or, as an alternative, our protagonist discovers that the implied theology of these beings confirms all the social morality that had allways most repelled or offended 'right thinking' individuals.

Fourth idea's the charm. Let us say that neither our protagonist or the main society is in trouble with the aliens. In fact, the implied morality is consistent with the hard won advances in morality of this society, of which our hero is an upstanding member.

Unfortunately, there are several competing societies, with their own ideas of morality, and discovery and promotion of the alien's theology and moral code provokes a final, cataclysmic battle between all the deeply cherished belief system of humankind.

And our enlightened, ethical, advanced hero and his or her society have to face an apocalyptic end to the human race, as the race of beings that oversaw the rise of our species allows the endgame to play out, so they can learn who is worthy to join them.

Actually, there are endless variations on this idea. What do you all think?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me guess, the answer is Poul Anderson.
Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry -- I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade; just playing Devil's advocate and hoping people will read the "All the good ideas have been used before!" thread.

Survivor has some interesting ideas; I'm hoping to encourage him to give them enough thought to make them interesting.

The piece my group is reading for me at the moment has caused them to use the words "Apollo 13" at least once per page; I hope to give it enough new twists to make it interesting. If not, it's MY OWN DAMN FAULT the story will be unsaleable.

Nobody should give up an idea because it's similar to somebody else's; we'd all be out of work. Just be sure to make your mark on the plot.

[As an aside, I have been told (I don't know if it's true) that editors summarily reject Adam-and-Eve stories (A couple named A&E crash-land on a desered planet...) because they see at least 5 of those in the slushpile every day. A planet full of women might be hard to sell, simply because of this. But I don't know.]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
epiquette
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for epiquette   Email epiquette         Edit/Delete Post 
Could be interesting. Aspects from (at least):
Childhood's End (Clark)
Way Station (Simak)

Erk

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
if your aliens are supposed to be human-like, what makes them so PERFECT? the premise that in time we (or something like us) will achieve a moral perfection (or that such a thing exists) is laughable, in my opinion. how would you define morality or the virtues of this race? this would be a delicate area of any such work--it could easily cut your readers by A LOT.

on the other hand, if you took a VERY objective approach to the work, it could be highly successful. let the reader decide whether or not the aliens truely have "advanced morals", and who knows....

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Um...well, Cosmi brings up a good point, one that I thought I already expressed, but I'll answer it anyhow.

Basically, the aliens think of their own morality as being advanced and perfect...but all of the story possibilities involve humanity disagreeing with the alien moral code. On the other hand, the aliens are serious about accepting humans that embrace the alien morality into a literal paradise...and actually intentionally inspired some (or maybe all) human religious traditions (I'll leave it to you which traditions you want the aliens to have inspired).

In other words, that's the whole point of the story, that the aliens have this morality that humans don't like, but the aliens control access to heaven (literally).

Of course, the story should be told from the perspective of a human, because hyper-evolved superintelligent ultrapowerful aliens are hard to write well. And of course, the main character viewpoint will embrace some humand standard of morality (which one? depends, I suppose).

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, I think you could take this story in two interesting directions at the same time. The key is that you are dealing with an alien concept of morality and an alien concept of heaven.

Some humans will embrace the alien morality, others will not. Some will like the alien heaven, while others will not. Consider the original Star Trek episode "Who Mourns for Adonais?" . . . or the concept of heaven held by someone who enjoys WWF wrestling and Lawrence Welk records.

This gives four combinations of human characters:

Those who embrace the alien morality and love the alien heaven. These will be "prophets" for the aliens.

Those who hate the alien morality but love the alien heaven. These will be hypocritical "false prophets" for the aliens.

Those who embrace the alien morality but hate the alien heaven. Wise as the aliens are, they will never be able to relate to this group of humans. The aliens might consider them to be mentally ill.

Those who hate the alien morality and also hate the alien heaven. The aliens will consider these humans to be infidels. But enlightened as they are, how will the aliens treat them?

I think you could get a fascinating story out of this. Go for it!

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, I'm interested in writing another, more straight fantasy-like story. It's actually set in the far future, but I don't intend to go into that for the purposes of my story.

Basic story idea? Guy that doesn't fit into any predefined social-racial-ethnic catagory must find his place in a hostile world (with a little help from a sympathetic [but fairly distant] goddess).

In fact, 'tis very adolescent, or at least, I hope that 'tis appealling to the adolescent mind. I don't have any intention of being any more 'novel' than I have to be. But I know very well that I'm not ready to write it successfully, and even better that I'll never make it a commercial success.

One other thing. "It's" is a stupid way to contract "it is". "'Tis" is easier to say, spell, distinguish from "its" (the possessive of "it"), and is the earlier, more euphonious contraction.

I demand that our language change, and that's probably the real reason that I would prefer to right my science fiction story in a fantasy context, so that I can use "'tis" rather than "it's".

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.