Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Looking for----

Author Topic: Looking for----
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone know what is meant by women's fiction? Not romance, because the same agents that list women's fiction almost always list romance as well.

Ideas?

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Persephone
Member # 1377

- posted      Profile for Persephone           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I'm guessing that it could also include historically based (not historical) or social fiction about women, specifically addressing women's issues? Or any form of fiction that is written about subjects that are of particular interest to women? Yikes, I see now that it could mean a number of things...feminism, parenting, sexuality, you name it. You know, maybe a 'Waiting to Exhale' kind of thing. Or 'Beloved'? I sure wouldn't classify those as romances!

Please, no one use what I've said here as an excuse to critique my choice of examples...I am guessing, okay?

Wow, what a great question! I have seen the term before, too, and admit that I wondered myself. I'll watch this discussion and see what develops, it's always great to explore something new!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's my guess as well---my handy Writer's Encl. doesn't offer an entry to explain it either.

Maybe Kathleen knows?

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Women's fiction generally refers to literary fiction that: 1) has women as the pivotal characters 2) has women who are confronting the usual or not not so usual challenges of being a woman and 3) has situations/conflicts that appeal to the broader (and perhaps somewhat sexist stereotypical) interests of women. The category often deals either with coming of age stories, or women dealing with midlife.

Recent examples include:
Ahab's Wife
Bee Season
Secret Life of Bees
The Saving Graces
Theory of Relativity
The Bonesetter's Daughter
... and just about every Oprah Book Club choice!

Hope that helps!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, SiliGurl, you answered much better than I could.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Liza
Member # 1123

- posted      Profile for Liza   Email Liza         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Silligurl,
I think it could be summed up as: Oprah Books. She chooses the book version of "the chick flick."

Saying that, here is the basic formula for most Oprah books I have read:

1.Child Abuse-physical and sexual
2.Age-inappropriate love affair(16 year old with 50 year old, so sketchy whether or not considered child abuse)(So statutory(sp) rape?)
3. The loss of main character's once-in-a-lifetime love by some tragedy, either through illness or accident.
4.The death of a small child.
5. Main character is clinically depressed.
6. The ending must be depressing, yet somehow the reader must feel as if there is some epiphany reached by main character, and reader is therefore left with the illusion that the ending was a happy one.
7. Incredibly well written, so even though feelings of depression are passed to reader, reader has trouble putting down book.

Liz
(who just finished A Fine Balance, the single most depressing book she has ever read in her whole life.)

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.